Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-24-2022, 06:03 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

First cold weather overnight in new TT!

We pick up (assuming inspection goes well) our brand new 2108DS tomorrow afternoon, and plan to spend the night doing a complete “shakedown” at a full hookup campsite near the dealer. I have asked the dealer to dewinterize so we can test out the water heater, etc.

Low temps tomorrow night are forecast for around 24 degrees. We’ve certainly camped in cold weather before in our previous trailer (an R-Pod), but never in a TT with a winter(ish?) package like the new 2108DS. Any advice for things we definitely should or shouldn’t do, to avoid potential damage to our brand new Micro Minnie the very first day we have it?

My plan to avoid freezing is to just put 12-15 gallons of water in the fresh tank, which I understand is enclosed and heated, for testing—but not to connect to city water. We will obviously be running the furnace to stay warm overnight, which should also keep the enclosed tanks warm enough… right?

Anything else we should do or avoid doing? Thanks!
ZoraK9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 08:25 AM   #2
Site Team

You didn't say where but your profile says Santa Fe, MN. I checked the weather and it's supposed to be 20 tomorrow night but 43 during the day. Be sure you have full tanks of propane. The heater will run a lot and it will use plenty of propane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoraK9 View Post
My plan to avoid freezing is to just put 12-15 gallons of water in the fresh tank, which I understand is enclosed and heated
Don't go overboard on these thoughts of "enclosed and heated." It's more like "not fully exposed and warmed."

Enjoy!

PS. Don't let the dealer talk you into all kinds of extra cost items (warranties, tire insurance, paint protection, fabric protection, etc). When you go to the finance office to finalize the deal the F&I person will try to convince you that you have to have all kinds of stuff that a) you don't need and b) is way overpriced. It's the F&I person's job to eek as much extra profit out of you as they can. So, practice saying "No Thanks!" in the mirror before you go.
Old 02-24-2022, 08:36 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thanks @creativepart! What you warn about (finance guy aggressively upselling) has already begun. We stopped into the dealer last weekend to do some measurements, etc. on the new trailer, and while I was there he flagged me down to push a $2,000+ exterior clear-coat and interior fabric protection on me (I firmly declined).

As long as I can get my wife to pretend she doesn't speak or understand English while we're there, I think we'll be successful refusing other "must-have items" that we don't need.

As for location: Yes, we are in Santa Fe but the dealer is in Albuquerque, and so is the campground. It's generally at least 5-10 degrees warmer "down there" but will still be in the high 20s tomorrow night.
Old 02-24-2022, 08:37 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Check your grey and black water dump lines while it is freezing outside. They may freeze because I suspect they are exposed. Maybe not in the mid 20s, but more likely if it gets down to 20.

David
Old 02-26-2022, 07:41 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Out with the old, in with the new…

Yesterday afternoon we said goodbye to our R-pod and hello to our new 2108DS.

Survived our first night in 25 degree temps (at least as far as I can tell!) with the furnace working great. My wife was spooked by the dealer’s strong suggestion not to dewinterize, so we dry camped and used a jug of water/antifreeze mix to flush the toilet. Thorough testing of our pumps, water heater, etc. will have to wait until spring arrives or we head south for our next trip.

I’m grateful for all the helpful info and advice we’ve received from folks here so far, and look forward to being a part of this community!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	524D1354-DEBF-40D8-AC0C-1FCF1C076306.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	128.7 KB
ID:	182115  
Old 02-26-2022, 08:02 AM   #6
Site Team

While it may be overly cautious I think your dealer was correct in his advice. Especially since you are in Northern New Mexico. Spring comes early there and it’s better to be safe than sorry… especially since it’s already winterized.

Tags
cold weather