Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-24-2023, 05:26 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Stumped electrical mods 50+ year old trailer

I am trying to re-wire my small camper i took out everything that was 12v. putting in 110v fridge and lights but I want to keep the power converter so I can use solar power when i can't hook up to electric. How do I wire the circuit panel.Can any one help?
Johnjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2023, 05:55 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Hard to believe you took out everything that was 12V on a camper.

- the thermostat is 12 volt powered

- if you have propane and and a propane hot water heater and propane furnace both require 12 volt power to function. There is also a 12 volt powered propane leak detector mounted low near the floor to warn you of propane presence in the camper.

- If you had any ceiling vent fans they all require 12 volt power to function.

You can have a 120 VAC to 12 VDC converter to charge 12 V batteries and power the above loads. You can have solar panels and a Solar Charge Controller that also can charge 12 V batteries and power the above loads.

You can have a 12 VDC to 120 VAC inverter to use 12 V power to make 120 V power to run your 120 VAC items, when you are not using a generator or shore power.

The are saftey items associated with all of the above, fuses / circuit breakers / use of the correct size wiring, etc. If you are not experienced with camper electrical systems PLEASE get some advice and help to be safe!
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2023, 06:06 PM   #3
Site Team

Hi,
Can you please start by telling us what Winnebago you have? We need to know the year, model and floor plan. Once we know that we can give you more direct help.
Old 12-24-2023, 07:22 PM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

It's a 1969-70 time traveler tow behind 6 person sleeper
Johnjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2023, 09:13 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Sounds like you have pretty much a blank slate to start with just a few parts on hand that you may want to reuse?
So maybe you can start with what parts you have? Sounds like you have a converter and maybe want to know how to rewire it to use it to charge some batteries and maybe power some 12 volt items?
Any chance you can snag some pictures of what you have or find a model number on the converter, so we can see what you have?
Those older converters were often built with the fuses or breakers built in as a single unit. they might have called it a load center?
That might make it as simple as wiring the 110 AC to input of the converter and attaching batteries to the output with any 12VDC items you might want to keep running put on the output side of the fuses?
It may have been something like this and what you want to do?
Click image for larger version

Name:	acdc.png
Views:	17
Size:	15.5 KB
ID:	188134

But then add the solar parts to this ? Since solar is different voltages and needs different parts, I thought we might need to get the basic things for what you want first before getting into the solar.

But knowing what you have may be the first step, so tell us more about it?
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical