Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-03-2021, 09:37 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Im stumped

It started with a squeal and while watching battery condition gauge it would show low voltage when squeal stopped it would go to normal charge.
I was able to start the squeal by turning on lights.
just had a nice long 800 mile trip. squeal would last longer and got to the point where it would not stop and no longer charge.
So i purchased an alternator off amazon, semi easy install and still not charging.
Took the origonal ford alternator to Autozone and it passed test.
Good news is i can send new alternator back. but the bad im still trying to figure out why.
Some say check your grounds , but nobody can explain where to find these grounds.
Fuses or cables??
Anyone ever have such a problem?
1996 21RB 460 Ford 42,000 miles
Musket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 10:27 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Sounds like a slipping alternator belt. Tighten the belt or better still, replace the belt and tighten properly.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 01:45 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

oh if only was that easy.
thanks for the reply though
Old 07-03-2021, 02:19 PM   #4
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musket View Post
It started with a squeal and while watching battery condition gauge it would show low voltage when squeal stopped it would go to normal charge.
I was able to start the squeal by turning on lights.
just had a nice long 800 mile trip. squeal would last longer and got to the point where it would not stop and no longer charge.
So i purchased an alternator off amazon, semi easy install and still not charging.
Took the origonal ford alternator to Autozone and it passed test.
Good news is i can send new alternator back. but the bad im still trying to figure out why.
Some say check your grounds , but nobody can explain where to find these grounds.
Fuses or cables??
Anyone ever have such a problem?
1996 21RB 460 Ford 42,000 miles
I’m trying to wrap my head around the squealing noise. Certainly would seem like a loose belt or bad alternator, but sounds like you’ve eliminated those.

A loose ground might account for the lack of charge profile, but not the noise.

What about another pulley on the belt system? Does yours have a serpentine belt? If so, there’s typically a tensioner pulley and perhaps if that we’re failing it could account for the noise and the lack of voltage from the alternator?

Still pondering this….
Old 07-03-2021, 02:23 PM   #5

I'm with "DavidM" on this one.

If the squeal you are taking about varies with RPM, and sometimes goes away, then 9x/10 it's your belt that is the problem. ...And I'm not talking about a serpentine belt. If we are then your belt tensioner may be suspect, which is why they always say to change your tensioner when you change your belt.

Further, your belt may look okay, but oils/fumes saturating the belt material, in the smallest way, can make it squeal no matter how much tension you put on it. In the old days even humidity changes can have an effect.

Sometimes the squeal will go away and come back. Sometimes you can successfully use a belt spray to stop the squeal and it will come back a week latter or it may not come back at all.

I personally don't recommend this spray stuff, unless it's a real PITA to replace the belt. And I have used the belt spray back in the 70's when alternator belts only drove the AC pump and maybe the power steering pump.

These days, if you have a serpentine belt, then it's usually an alignment issue and that too maybe your problem.

Another trick is spay water on the belt, and if the squeal goes away during a Rev-cycle then you know you have a belt problem:

A) Clean the "V" on the belt with Dawn "Platinum" spray on dishwater soap and rinse... and see what happens. And if no change...

B) File the belt sides. And if no change...

C) By a new belt.

Squeals are a sign of "slippage" which usually leaves shinny marks on the belt.

If you find it's not your belt or if you have an alignment problem, please let us know how you solved it. Note: Alignment problems also end up in shredded belts and broken belts can mean you lose your engine water pump... which can lead to all kinds of "hurt" if you don't pull over.

Good luck.
imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 02:49 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Belt is new there is no tensioner on the alternator belt is tightened by adjusting the alternator.
there are two belts on my winnebago.
I tested the cable from battery to alternator, is getting volts but not charging battery.
im still trying different things but no success.
Old 07-03-2021, 05:07 PM   #7
Site Team

Sounds like you have two separate problems. On the chassis, a loose alternator belt or bad alternator bearing is causing your squeal. The other problem is a non-functioning battery isolation solenoid on the RV keeping the alternator from charging your batteries.
Old 07-03-2021, 06:30 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

please tell me more about this battery isolation solenoid like where is located..
Old 07-03-2021, 06:44 PM   #9
Site Team

I don't know enough about your RV to find any wiring diagrams and I also don't know if those diagrams go back 25 years. I kind of doubt it.
Old 07-03-2021, 06:59 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

would the solenoid be near the house battery?
been raining quite a bit. drying up now so maybe will chase down some wiring and grounds tomorrow. thank you for replying
Old 07-03-2021, 08:01 PM   #11

Musket: How long have you owned this coach?

I.e., we need your help telling us if you know your batteries ever charged; and are you referring to your engine batteries or your house batteries?

A battery isolator (aka Voltage Sensitive Relay, VSR) is only worth looking at if your house batteries are not charging when you alternator is charging your engine battery. It functions as a "cut-in" and "cut-out" relay/switch.

As for your noise, if you replaced the alternator, did you keep your old pully?

Maybe "gas-RV-alternators" come with a pully. I'm guessing they do. However, my diesel alternator did not.

I still think it's your belt... or you have the wrong belt for your application. Did you match the old with the new using part numbers or by other means?

* This is a lesson to us all. Never throw your old belt away (broken or not) until you are sure the new belt works perfect and there are no noises, because you may need to examine the physical characteristic of the old belt later.

* I have also seen where a cheap belt causes problems.

OP: We can't be sure what else to tell you until you give us a more complete picture.

* Check the .pdf attached for more general information about the old style alternators in car applications which may help you figure where your Open or Short lies.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Basic 3-Wire Alternator Diagram - Car.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	304.2 KB
ID:	179930  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf How Alternators Work - Automotive Electricity Generator PDF.pdf (1.01 MB, 58 views)
imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 12:24 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

IS fixed!
think it was a combination of things.
Pulled every battery connection i could get my hands on and sanded and brushed. replaced battery connectors on chassis battery.
and needed to pull air cleaner box support to be able to lever the alternator to get it tighter.
Old 07-07-2021, 07:55 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

So it was a loose belt. It always seems that the fix is easy when you have corrected the problem. Good job at keeping after it
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 06:18 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musket View Post
IS fixed!
think it was a combination of things.
Pulled every battery connection i could get my hands on and sanded and brushed. replaced battery connectors on chassis battery.
and needed to pull air cleaner box support to be able to lever the alternator to get it tighter.
I had to retighten my alternator belt every once in awhile on my 460. With no tensioner pulley as soon as the belt stretches a little it is time for you to retighten. Make sure you always buy a good quality belt.
Old 07-10-2021, 07:32 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

For future problems, this is the drawing set for your RV:
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...ram/Wiring.htm

This set has the info on the solenoid and depending on whether a Ford or GM chassis, use page 1 or page 2 for correct one. It looks like the main difference is that Ford uses a starter relay, while GM doesn't:
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...996/118496.pdf

For location go here:
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...996/118498.pdf
Page 4 has detail drawing of location.

However not likely to be involved in this problem.
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote