Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-13-2023, 11:35 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Rewire Backup Camera to marker light lead

Question concerning towable, 2022 Minnie 2327TB running lights.

My dealer removed the Voyager mount and placed a Furion S mount for my Furrion S camera removed from my Forest River trailer. The camera is on a hot lead and is on all the time.

Is it possible to fish out the marker light wire and splice into that for powering the camera? Will this cause any problems with either the lights or the camera operation?

Forest River wired their mounting device using the marker lights, but, this was on a 2017 model trailer.
waydownsouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2023, 06:26 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I'm surprised that you have not received an answer by now. It should be fairly easy to do as long as you have a hole to look through below the center running light. It is a very common procedure to fish out the running light wires. Use a multimeter to verify the polarity. The camera will not bother the running lights or visa versa.
Bigbird65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2023, 07:28 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Time understood

Everyone has their own time to look and respond. I'm still moving my stuff out of the house back into the new rig. I was suprised once again at the things that get collected in a trailer. Even the dust caused an eye infection. Hope I can see enough to find them.

My uncertainty was the newer tiny round lights as opposed to Forest River larger ones. I cannot believe this was wired that way as dealer just replaced what the factory wired. It can't be good for a camera to be on forever.

Cool front coming in the morning so will launch into this after some correct Dicor to reseal the housing. Downsized from three slide V-Nose back to sturdy basic travel rig now that I'm sadly an older bachelor.

Thanks for your responce. Anyone knowing what color the wire can chime in anytime.
Old 10-15-2023, 07:59 PM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

Surprise in wall

I expected to see typical auto electrical wires, but, apparently the wall is wired before assembly. Discovered the factory did attach the mount for a backup camera to the same lead that supplies the ceiling fan. Explains camera on all the time.

Tugging on the lead made another lead show in the back of the small home which had a green trace color vs red on that pair. That turned out to be to lead between the marker lights in the rear wall. Dremel sawed a larger hole and fished out the loop. Split the pair, tapped two leads onto that and stuffed back into the wall. Now able to butt splice camera mount to the single leads and done. It only took all day as I haven't done wiring work in a while and had no connectors I wanted to use behind the wall. Poor old soldering iron needed petting too. Antique!

Amazing how slow one gets as we get older.
Old 10-15-2023, 11:50 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Maybe if I rewire my wife then I just might be a little better at backing in. Somehow the message that: if you cannot see me in the mirror than I certainly will find it hard to see you; does not work..... so a rewire might just fit the bill. Getting out and looking even if one has a backup camera is always the best solution regardless IMO especially in tight spots with trees and tree branches, rocks and holes. The paved parks without trees are pathetic, the day I can't park in one of them without a camera is the day I hang up the skates!
IMO it is more important to install a backup warning device and use the flashers while backing especially if you are in a park with kids and bikes, backup cameras take your eyes off your mirrors and can actually become a hindrance to safe professional driving practices; good in some limited ways if you have children but unless the camera can be panned they can miss the big picture far too easily.
reeman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camera, light