Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2020, 04:54 PM   #21
Winnebago Owner

Why do some people seem to think that they need to drive at the speed limit when driving in the mountains?
GaryS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 10:01 AM   #22
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryS View Post
Why do some people seem to think that they need to drive at the speed limit when driving in the mountains?
Huh? Unless it's a curvy road, why shouldn't that be the goal?

But I really think there are two issues going on for uphill. 1. What speed will it climb at; and 2. What RPM does that require. If you check out the Fast Lane Truck test of the V6 and Diesel Colorado/Canyon, the V6 was better at maintaining speed, but the diesel did what it did in a much more composed manner, and also with better fuel economy. I know engines are designed to run at higher RPMs, but except for smaller displacement and marine applications, I'm just not comfortable running an engine I own and maintain at high RPMs for extended periods. But that was the secondary reason I bought the diesel, the primary reason was fuel economy, even though that might mean some speed lost on passes.

BTW, not a huge fan of Fast Lane Truck, in part because they change the parameters, so for example you cannot compare the Gladiator test to the Colorado/Canyon due to different weights, but this video is good in that it's two trucks towing the same trailer on the same day.
Old 09-08-2020, 05:04 PM   #23
Winnebago Camper

maksiu, would be interested to know if you use either a WDH or sway/friction bar with your setup, and what your experiences have been towing since your initial "dry" run. We also have the 2106DS and Audi Q7. Have avoided installing a WDH per Audi requirements, but have installed a Reese friction bar for sway control. We have noticed a perceptible improvement in sway with loaded trailer, and have had smooth experiences, including a recent several hundred mile trip that involved negotiating a steep 4000' mountain pass in California. But, we do have to carefully position our loads to avoid excessive tongue weight, and do wish we could install a WDH. Your experience?
caladvoc8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 05:31 PM   #24
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by caladvoc8 View Post
maksiu, would be interested to know if you use either a WDH or sway/friction bar with your setup, and what your experiences have been towing since your initial "dry" run. We also have the 2106DS and Audi Q7. Have avoided installing a WDH per Audi requirements, but have installed a Reese friction bar for sway control. We have noticed a perceptible improvement in sway with loaded trailer, and have had smooth experiences, including a recent several hundred mile trip that involved negotiating a steep 4000' mountain pass in California. But, we do have to carefully position our loads to avoid excessive tongue weight, and do wish we could install a WDH. Your experience?
Hi caladvoc8
Once loaded with gear the ride diminished pretty quickly with a bad rear sagging problem (I didnt have the air suspension) and allot of bounce that was really not comfortable. Also i couldn't open the tailgate when hitched because of the tight audi shank length spec so I changed to a new Ford Expedition with HD town package 9300lbs. Just didn't feel safe so I gave up the Q7 setup. The frame based SUV really can handle anything I throw at it now, full liquids, tons of gear and even a generator on the A frame and doesn't even flinch. I suspect I might be around 5-6000 lbs now and we did about 5500 miles so far this summer thru all kinds of terrain with a feeling it could easily handle even more. I have standard $500 9000-10000lb curt WDH, nothing fancy that really helped with the sway and leveling TV to trailer.
maksiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 06:07 PM   #25
2106 DS Micro Minnie

Please make sure to lock the murphy bed when in the down position. A child or person can crawl to the head of the bed and have the bed spring closed in the up position. This happened to me and I ended upside down behind the bed with it being closed up. It was extremely difficult for me to get out. Since, I have been extremely diligent in locking the bed when in a down position. (My 2106DS has straps with snap buttons to hold it down.)
stoney1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 06:16 PM   #26
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoney1 View Post
(My 2106DS has straps with snap buttons to hold it down.)
My 2019 2106DS has a latch that automatically latches. Probably a better system, not only for your issue, but apparently you can damage the murphy bed mechanism if travelling with it up.
Old 09-08-2020, 06:23 PM   #27
2106 DS Micro Minnie

Goodspike: yeah I think they changed the design shortly after my 2018 was made. I'll bet my little incident happened to others as well. It's a funny story now, but it could have ended badly considering I was alone, the furnace not on, a cold night, no cell phone in my hand and no way out...
stoney1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 07:07 PM   #28
blubugger

2018 Micro 2106ds being towed by a 2015 Ford Explorer Sport using a round-bar WDH and a friction sway bar on driver's side only.
The ride is notably stable, minimum sway with the trailer and vehicle actually feeling as one unit even through hill and dale.
Obviously we monitor our load and added equipment carefully. Bicycles, firepits and extra propane bottle[s] are carefully placed for maximum balance.
Blubugger is offline   Reply With Quote