Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-04-2018, 03:52 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

2106DS Couch replacement

I have a 2106 2106ds trailer. I want to change out the coach with a couch with recliners. I was wonder if anyone has done it before or know if it can be done.
Bernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 05:33 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Be interesting to see what response you get. I have seen many folks that have changed out the dinette on the larger Minnies but not the 2106. I have a 2106DS and would love to get rid of that jackknife sofa.
blueridge-fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 09:24 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

I was thinking maybe small recliner chairs would fit there but we haven't had the chance to see inside one yet, only a 2108DS with a dinette.
bigb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 05:51 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

If you look under the sofa, you will see that the wheel well hump is an issue plus there is little in the way of support to install other types of furniture. Maybe someone that comes from a furniture or cabinet making background can come up with a custom set up but I don't think we can just buy one of the off the shelf pieces of furniture.
blueridge-fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 06:39 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I've been thinking of something more like an ottoman that could have storage inside...easier to build
MainelyScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 01:01 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MainelyScott View Post
I've been thinking of something more like an ottoman that could have storage inside...easier to build

I thought that I had seen a posting where some one modified the kick panel on the jack-knife sofa with a hinge setup so that they could use the area under the couch for added storage. I tried looking for that thread but am unable to find it.

Has anyone modified their Micro Minnie with the sofa so that they could use the space under the couch for additional storage?
TrailerDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 03:36 PM   #7
blubugger

I havent modified the kick panel under the jack knife sofa, but looking into it, that kick panel is mounted under the sofa by 3 or more brackets and screws accessible by lifting tge sofa up to expose the screws. But looking behind that panel, there will be no room for storage with the wheel well and an electronics box [slideout motor controller?]. If, by removing the kick panel, you might have more floor space and transport area which will have to be cleared out once the slideout is extended. Effectively non-useable space.
Blubugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 07:03 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailerDon View Post
I thought that I had seen a posting where some one modified the kick panel on the jack-knife sofa with a hinge setup so that they could use the area under the couch for added storage. I tried looking for that thread but am unable to find it.

Has anyone modified their Micro Minnie with the sofa so that they could use the space under the couch for additional storage?
I modified ours using a continuous hinge and four 1 1/2" corner brackets. I screwed the corner brackets to the plywood base under the sofa and mounted the continuous hinge to the kick panel and the brackets. I mainly did it for two purposes, to retrieve cat toys that end up behind the kick panel and because the screws that held the kick panel in place kept pulling out of the OSB backing plate of the kick panel. Here are a couple pictures. As Blubugger stated, there isn't much additional storage behind the kick panel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181129_154818.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	244.7 KB
ID:	171908   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181129_154750.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	250.4 KB
ID:	171909  

Name:	20181129_154704.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	332.9 KB
ID:	171910  
Fred 2106DS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 06:13 AM   #9
2106 DS Micro Minnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueridge-fl View Post
Be interesting to see what response you get. I have seen many folks that have changed out the dinette on the larger Minnies but not the 2106. I have a 2106DS and would love to get rid of that jackknife sofa.
Me too. I'd love to have a couple of recliners, sofa recliners or even just one recliner. Anyone have any experience with this
stoney1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 09:07 AM   #10
blubugger

I would think that if the weight of recliners or chairs etc. is kept as light as possible, you shouldn't have any problems. It should be pointed out that the "floor" of 2106ds slideout is substantial and should support chairs, recliners etc. within reason. We ourselves are of average weight and stature and can sit comfortably in the chairs and table conversion I assembled. My 6'3" brother need not apply! All this being said, I would think that the depth of the slide out floor doesn't provide much room for two larger recliners. I notice that the model 2108tb has the deeper slide out with the stock dinette. It always appears that not one model will do everything for all huh?

2018 2106ds
2015 Ford Explorer Sport
Old 04-13-2020, 10:59 AM   #11
2106 DS Micro Minnie

You are correct Bluebugger however we humans are always looking to make our most comfortable lives even more so.
stoney1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 11:16 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoney1 View Post
Me too. I'd love to have a couple of recliners, sofa recliners or even just one recliner. Anyone have any experience with this
One feature I liked about the e-pro line of trailers was the couch under the murphy bed was a recliner of sorts. Given the placement of the TV in the 2106DS that would be a much better place for a recliner.
Old 04-13-2020, 01:06 PM   #13
blubugger

Amen!
Old 08-08-2021, 04:22 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Blueridge-fl,
Do you still have the jackknife sofa? Is it mounted on the slide? If so, how wide is it? Lastly, how much room is between the end of the sofa and the kitchen cabinets?

Thanks,
Michael Utsey
843-709-4271
M E Utsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 04:40 PM   #15
Winnie-Wise

Any one replaced the jack knife sofa with a regular dinette that moves with the slide?
Bcborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 05:59 PM   #16
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred 2106DS View Post
I modified ours using a continuous hinge and four 1 1/2" corner brackets. I screwed the corner brackets to the plywood base under the sofa and mounted the continuous hinge to the kick panel and the brackets. I mainly did it for two purposes, to retrieve cat toys that end up behind the kick panel and because the screws that held the kick panel in place kept pulling out of the OSB backing plate of the kick panel. Here are a couple pictures. As Blubugger stated, there isn't much additional storage behind the kick panel.
Fred, would you happen to have a picture of the front of the sofa (face flipped up) with the slide closed.

I searching for a 2101 or 2106 and have already thought about modifications as I want a small 30" x 68" 2 person dinette in place of jack knife sofa. Is the floor that you placed the hinge the floor of the slide itself and therefore has to be the floor of the dinette?

If not would you see it possible to create a new sub floor directly above the wheel well and structure with electrical. This would lower the dinette maybe 4 - 5", correct?
Old 10-20-2021, 07:52 PM   #17
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcborn View Post
Fred, would you happen to have a picture of the front of the sofa (face flipped up) with the slide closed.

I searching for a 2101 or 2106 and have already thought about modifications as I want a small 30" x 68" 2 person dinette in place of jack knife sofa. Is the floor that you placed the hinge the floor of the slide itself and therefore has to be the floor of the dinette?

If not would you see it possible to create a new sub floor directly above the wheel well and structure with electrical. This would lower the dinette maybe 4 - 5", correct?
Yes, the floor that I attached the hinge to is the floor of the slide. It is a 1" thick piece of plywood which is attached to the HappiJac slide mechanism and is the main support for the slide room as it moves in and out. The space above the wheel well is needed for the slide mechanism. Below is a picture with the jackknife sofa and front kick plate removed which shows the structure you would be dealing with. Also, below is a YouTube video showing the installation of the HappiJac slide mechanism to give you a better idea of what I'm talking about.

Keep in mind, Winnebago changed slide mechanisms in Micro Minnie's from HappiJac to I believe Schwintek around the 2018 model year, so later models made lend themselves better to what you want to do.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20180502_174138.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	155.6 KB
ID:	181141  
Old 10-20-2021, 08:24 PM   #18
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Yes, the floor that I attached the hinge to is the floor of the slide. It is a 1" thick piece of plywood which is attached to the HappiJac slide mechanism and is the main support for the slide room as it moves in and out. The space above the wheel well is needed for the slide mechanism. Below is a picture with the jackknife sofa and front kick plate removed which shows the structure you would be dealing with. Also, below is a YouTube video showing the installation of the HappiJac slide mechanism to give you a better idea of what I'm talking about.

Keep in mind, Winnebago changed slide mechanisms in Micro Minnie's from HappiJac to I believe Schwintek around the 2018 model year, so later models made lend themselves better to what you want to do.

Nice Thank You.

In the Video it ends with installing the screws attaching slide rail to the inside and outside slide room. This would be the actual 1" thick laminated base which is under your new plywood sub floor.

I want to make a 2 person dinette here so I assume I can go further and just remove the arms as well, close in the ends and then can start with a flat base.
Old 10-21-2021, 04:02 PM   #19
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcborn View Post
Nice Thank You.

In the Video it ends with installing the screws attaching slide rail to the inside and outside slide room. This would be the actual 1" thick laminated base which is under your new plywood sub floor.

I want to make a 2 person dinette here so I assume I can go further and just remove the arms as well, close in the ends and then can start with a flat base.
In the picture I sent, what you are seeing is the 1" plywood base mounted to the top of the horizontal slide rails which permits the slide room to move in and out. The plywood base is what the slide room is built around and attached to. Winnebago painted the front edge of the plywood base black and left the remainder natural, that is probably why you thought I added a sub-floor.

The sofa arms can be removed, they are just for show.

Yes, you can start with a flat base by removing all of the sofa related stuff. You would be left with the 1" plywood base that measures 31 3/8" wide x 68 3/4" long.
Old 10-21-2021, 04:13 PM   #20
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
In the picture I sent, what you are seeing is the 1" plywood base mounted to the top of the horizontal slide rails which permits the slide room to move in and out. The plywood base is what the slide room is built around and attached to. Winnebago painted the front edge of the plywood base black and left the remainder natural, that is probably why you thought I added a sub-floor.

The sofa arms can be removed, they are just for show.

Yes, you can start with a flat base by removing all of the sofa related stuff. You would be left with the 1" plywood base that measures 31 3/8" wide x 68 3/4" long.
Thank You for that.

The Jack knife Sofa has a space behind for the folding dinette table, thus the the center point of the weight is more to the inside of the trailer. When the sofa is folded open, I assume the weight is even unless the person sleeps against the wall/over hang when slide is open.

Fred, do you foresee any issue with the weight being placed more on the overhang of the slid? how would that effect the HappiJac slide hardware.

As I have your attention, what is the width (54" or 60") of your front bed over the Murphy? Is it a folding mattress?

Tags
ace, replace, replacement