Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-11-2023, 10:00 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Need New Brake Controller

I had/have a Curt Echo inline wireless controller. It has worked fine until recent change to the hitch shank extension. Somehow the unit got pinched during travel so now the unit is tweaked and barely fits into the socket. The power to the brake light and passenger turn signal doesn’t work as well. Want to have my Mercedes dealer install an interior unit so I don’t have to worry about the exterior stuff. I know that Mercedes has the manufacturer installed receptacle outlet ready with the tow package and it will need the connector cable. What controller do Y’all recommend? I know that installation will probably cost more then the unit but I want it done by MB because there’s a bunch a stuff near where the plug is that I could screw up.
PAPA HOUSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2023, 10:24 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Exclamation There are differences between types of controllers one should understand.

If you do go with proportional then make certain to keep it set correctly. Our Tekonsha needs to be setup frequently and it is a good idea to do it at the beginning of every trip.

To set it up one must take the vehicle to a level spot then follow the instructions on setup carefully. Above all never use the left hand level control to adjust the power level. The power level knob is the one on the right the level set is the knob on the left.

Even so with drum brakes and hills like here in BC, I often need to reduce the brake level as they cool down after going down a long mountain. I do use the transmission and engine to do most of the mountain downhill braking. Still drum brakes do heat up and can fail if one sets them up too aggressively and overuses the trailer brakes instead of using the drive train of the tow vehicle to do the majority to the braking.

Either way with controllers it is always a great idea to check for over heating of drums and making sure that one does not cook the shoes and drums and most of all not setting up trailer brakes too aggressively or putting oneself in a situation where the brakes need to lock up to stop the rig.

A proportional controller will apply more power to the trailer breaks when braking from higher speeds then reduce the power level as the vehicle slows whereas a standard controller just varies the voltage regardless of the speed to a set value from a single power knob or slider.
reeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2023, 03:56 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

What mercedes are you towing with.
I have a Tekonsha cable with the mercedes end free to good home. you pay shipping.
Mercedes does not sell it.
MicroMinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2023, 08:33 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

2021 mercedes gle580 4matic
Old 06-13-2023, 09:18 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Mercedes will sell you the connector shell and pins. but more than likely that is special order.
If you don’t want to hack into the factory wiring you’ll need to order that and make a cable.
MicroMinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2023, 10:02 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I think I saw that it is Tekonsha part number 3066 that cost about $17.00. Thanks.

Tags
brake