Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-01-2022, 10:47 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

My new 2529RG Shakedown Trip Report

My wife and I took our new 2529RG on our first shakedown trip this last weekend. It was a short 60 mile drive to a nice state park. This was the first weekend we expected the temp to get above 65 so that we could actually turn on the AC to see if they actually work.

After the trip this is our list of things that we need to get fixed.

1) One drawer doesn't latch closed. Two drawers open very awkwardly. I can't figure it out but it seems like the drawer slide isn't screwed to the drawer on one side.
2) The screen door doesn't latch. Its the silliest thing. The latch is a half inch out of alignment from the strike plate.
3) The water heater doesn't work on electricity. It works great on propane.
4) The 12v fridge doesn't cool. The freezer works great.
5) One wall of the shower liner came unglued on the drive.
6) The wireless phone charger can't keep a connection.

One of the other goals of this trip was to get a measurement of the power consumption of the ACs so that I can decide what generator to buy. This information might be interesting to others.

With the batteries full and nothing turned on the base power draw of the trailer was 63w.
Starting the fan on the first AC created a spike to 940w which then settled down to running at 540w.
Starting the compressor on the first AV created a spike to 2400w which then settled down to running at 1530w.
Starting the fan and compressor on the second AC (which the first one still running) created a spike to 4440w which then settled down to running at 2980w.

For my purposes, I want a generator for overnight stops where I can run the AC (summers in Texas). I think we can probably get by with just one AC but will probably get something that can support running both at the same time.
dakamojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 11:47 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

For a generator to be able to put out 3,000 watts continuously, it probably will have to have a nominal (peak- intermittent) rating of at least 4kW. And for ease of carrying and storage you probably want two small companion ones that tie together.

You could get two top of the line Honda 2,200is for about $2,500 or maybe a couple of dual fuel Champions for half of that.

David
Old 02-01-2022, 04:03 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Install easy starts on both A/Cs and you may be able to run both of them with a 3500w generator, or two 2500w generators. You didn’t say whether you have 50amp or 30amp service. I believe WBGO has put in some circuitry on 30amp dual A/C trailers that prevents both from running (or at least starting up) at the same time. The specs on the easy start site should give you the info you need to determine how much juice is needed to run both.

If your fridge is set to eco mode, it may not cool the fridge to your liking. Performance mode #3 seems to work best for keeping everything cold, and using the least amount of power.
Old 02-01-2022, 10:57 PM   #4
Site Team

Best to fix the drawer and latch issues yourself if you can. If you give small items to your dealer they might jump on the easy stuff to satisfy you.

Center your complaints to the dealer on the big stuff - fridge, water heater, and shower wall. Press for immediate attention.

Camping in the heat of summer in Texas or elsewhere is no fun. Sitting in the RV with the A/C blasting is unpleasant and sitting outside can be as well.

Many of us head for higher altitudes or skip camping in July, August and September. We live near San Antonio and we spend September in Durango, CO at around 8,000 ft elevation.
Old 02-07-2022, 06:55 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Never heard of camping in the summer is no fun. I thought that what AC is for, to keep you cool at night. As for during the day you have an awning, swimming pools, etc.

Summer heat doesn't keep us from camping, it is the main season for us. We are in Missouri where mid 90s and high humidity are the norm.

Retired "Quiet Professional". Lifetime HSUS and ASPCA member and supporter.
71_340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 07:15 PM   #6
RVCalypso

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakamojo View Post
For my purposes, I want a generator for overnight stops where I can run the AC (summers in Texas). I think we can probably get by with just one AC but will probably get something that can support running both at the same time.
Where do you plan on running this generator overnight? I hope I'm not close by. There is camping etiquette, if you are not familiar with it you should be. If I were boondocking in the forest and could see another rig, I would practice quiet hours from 10:00 PM to 8:00 AM. If you're in the open desert noise travels far. Just make sure you are respectful of others.
gurroz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 02:26 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71_340 View Post
Never heard of camping in the summer is no fun. I thought that what AC is for, to keep you cool at night. As for during the day you have an awning, swimming pools, etc.

Summer heat doesn't keep us from camping, it is the main season for us. We are in Missouri where mid 90s and high humidity are the norm.
I recently camped throughout SC/NC last July. Because of the bugs, I'll never camp during the summer again. The no-seeum's were just unbearable.