Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-26-2022, 05:55 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Microwave storage mod

We always dry camp and rarely run a generator so there is little use for the microwave. But wait...that space is HUGE for storage! So here's our new mod.

The hardware was purchased from Winnebago to match our existing cabinets, and it works very well. All I need to do now is use a little steel wool to knock back the shine a little, and it'll blend in nice as "original" doors. We've had the microwave out since last summer and don't miss it. This mod, of course, is not for everyone

I did line the inside of the space to look nice, but that won't get in the way for removing these doors and reinstalling the microwave. That won't happen, but if we move on to another rig someday, the new owner may want to do that.
tinglett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 06:11 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Nice job and great idea getting your doors to match. Just think of all the weight you removed. We have the 24V Navion, I pulled the dual function microwave out to run cables and was surprised of the weight We do use it for dinners while running on batteries so the inverter so its staying for now.
Sparky19053 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 06:44 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Very nice and great work Todd!

We also removed our microwave for the additional storage but we didn't finish it quite a nice as you. We just added an adjustable shelf and use an elastic net to keep things from falling out.

Fred
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220331_165426.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	195.9 KB
ID:	182637  
Fred 2106DS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 06:04 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Very nice guys.
I’d like to do that too, but us poor saps with convection/microwave builds don’t have an oven. Bwaa
Old 04-27-2022, 07:27 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

We don't have an oven either but we sure use the heck out of the Microwave.

Nice job, especially in matching the other cabinets.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 08:24 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

We have the convection/microwave combo as well, no separate oven. We use the convection a lot. The additional storage space would be nice.
Really nice job, tinglet. Very professional!
Old 04-27-2022, 08:34 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Winnebago is probably doing the right thing moving to 12v fridges and convection microwaves, but we dry camp almost exclusively and use the oven all the time. It may be very difficult to replace our trailer someday. But that's (hopefully) a long way out so we keep tuning it to meet our needs.
Old 04-29-2022, 05:10 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

I took out the micro/confection and replaced with a lighter and smaller micro. We only use the micro when in hook up RV Parks and that is mostly just for popcorn and heating up coffee. Maybe I will join the OP and convert to storage.
B RAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 02:02 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by B RAD View Post
I took out the micro/confection and replaced with a lighter and smaller micro. We only use the micro when in hook up RV Parks and that is mostly just for popcorn and heating up coffee. Maybe I will join the OP and convert to storage.
That's pretty much all I use my micro for also (along with an occasional frozen dinner).

I currently have the microwave + LPG stove/oven configuration. Pots and pans are stored in the oven (only used once to bake cookies).

If I could do it over, again I'd have the microwave/convection combo and remove the oven for a cabinet. It can probably be done, but I'm not THAT motivated at this time in my life...LOL
Old 04-30-2022, 07:46 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocknRoll View Post
If I could do it over, again I'd have the microwave/convection combo and remove the oven for a cabinet. It can probably be done, but I'm not THAT motivated at this time in my life...LOL
That would be a project, indeed!

I find it interesting, though, when the oven is discussed there is always a mention of baking. We never actually "bake" in our oven, as if we would really want to make cake in the woods. I've suggested to my wife that she start collecting a list of ideas for cooking in the oven. Most anything you can cook in the micro, you can cook in the oven, though I'd agree a mug of coffee just isn't practical. We make bacon in it, for example. We do that in the house, too, and use cooking parchment so there is no mess.

And, no, I don't think popcorn in the oven is a thing. It would be interesting to know if there is a way, though

The one thing I hate about the oven is lighting the pilot. We never leave our pilot lit as a safety thing. Has anyone here tried a candle lighter like this one? https://www.amazon.com/Long-Neck-Win.../dp/B08SBNC1B5 It looks like it may work better than an aim-n-flame, so I might get one. Only $22.
Old 04-30-2022, 08:35 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

When we are home at our S&B, we use the oven a lot to cook baked salmon/halibut, and roasted chicken and vegetables, like Brussels sprouts and asparagus. We haven’t figured out how to do that in the conv/micro. It always turns out a mess. So we don’t use it very often, and never while boondocking. We Like having the storage Under the range. So our solution was to buy a good 1200w air fryer/toaster oven, which we carry under the dinette. It works great, and we can power it from our inverter. Now we pretty much use the inside of the conv/micro as storage.
Old 04-30-2022, 09:46 AM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine359 View Post
So our solution was to buy a good 1200w air fryer/toaster oven, which we carry under the dinette. It works great, and we can power it from our inverter.
Wow...but that's 91A at 13.25v! Is the air fryer rated at 1200w but typically takes far less? I saw someone showing this was true of Instant Pots provided you let the pot warm up past a certain stage first (useful idea for running while traveling, else not really).

It would be nice to find a propane-powered Instant Pot, speaking of such things. I don't think they exist, though I suppose one can put a pressure cooker on a stovetop burner. We already haul too much stuff, though.
Old 04-30-2022, 10:04 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

One other thought on microwave storage - on my Vista 27N the panel above the microwave is held on by two of the drawer catches, one on each end. The panel easily removes by pulling straight out and goes back on easily as well. Winnebago built it that way to provide access to the structure that the microwave is attached to. Pull off the panel and it's an empty cavity above the microwave. It's usable as a small storage area. I use some of the rectangular plastic "school kid" boxes up there.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 02:39 PM   #14
Winnie-Wise

We use our oven occasionally for pizza and brownies but it never seems to cook evenly, even after we added a cooking stone as some have recommend to help even out the heat.

Lately, if not cooking on the grill, we'll use our Instant Pot Ultra Mini (3 quart/700W). Nice size for 2 people. We've even learned how to make descent brownies, cakes and cornbread in it. We haven't tried making personal pizzas yet, though people show it can be done.

For the last year I've been considering swapping out the gas cooktop/oven combo for a gas cooktop and a micro/convection oven below. Easy enough to pull another 20 amp circuit from the panel since it is only a couple feet away form the oven area. Maybe this will be the year.
Fred 2106DS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 03:45 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

A good 2-element air fryer oven doesn’t use as much power as a home oven to cook a filet of fish. It warms quickly to 400F and cooks the fish in less than 15 minutes, the elements cycling on and off to maintain the oven temp. I haven’t measured, but it seems to use about 15ah for a meal. 5ah for veggies. Mostly we cook on propane griddle when boondocking, but nice to be able to bake and broil. And toast our bagels or English muffins. We’d never attempt to roast a whole chicken, just roast thin cut breast cutlets. If there was such a thing as a small easy to store portable propane oven that could connect to the QD, we’d opt for that.
Old 04-30-2022, 09:46 PM   #16
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinglett View Post
We always dry camp and rarely run a generator so there is little use for the microwave. But wait...that space is HUGE for storage! So here's our new mod.

All I need to do now is use a little steel wool to knock back the shine a little, and it'll blend in nice as "original" doors.
Nice work, seen one other where they removed the stove and oven to get more counter and cupboard space.

What did you use for stain?

I need to touch up some water stains and looking for ideas to start. Brand, Color, Water or oil based etc...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Bathroom Water Stain_2.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	169.2 KB
ID:	182701   Click image for larger version

Name:	pass thru storage wall.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	256.7 KB
ID:	182702  

Bcborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 08:17 AM   #17
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcborn View Post
What did you use for stain?

I need to touch up some water stains and looking for ideas to start. Brand, Color, Water or oil based etc...
I used real maple for material and water based Minwax Clear Polycrylic to try to keep the maple looking as original color as possible (i.e., no stain). It's a close match, though still has a bit more color than the original "bleached" woodwork.

When I called Winnebago for parts, for the hardware, I found they could also sell replacement doors and such. If you call and have your VIN handy, you may find you can replace rather than restore if you really want to get it perfect. It isn't clear from the photo, though, how difficult replacing that wood might be. Also, it'll cost more than you think (spare parts). But I bet they have exactly what you need.

BTW, when I was preparing for this mod they did help check other models for door sizes to see if they had a door in this particular finish that was 'close enough' for me to use. I thought that was really nice. But there wasn't a match.
Old 05-01-2022, 09:08 AM   #18
Winnie-Wise

I have the 2017 2106FBS, if they don't have doors for a 2016, unsure they will have doors for the 2017.

I took a sample of the wood cabinetry into a cabinet shot to see if they could match the stain. Was told their stains are too translucent to cover the water Mark's and suggest the minwax white wash.

Talked to another company and they said they could try and tint an Old Masters to get a match that will hide the Mark's..

I will report back when I find out
Old 05-02-2022, 08:07 AM   #19
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
That would be a project, indeed!

I find it interesting, though, when the oven is discussed there is always a mention of baking. We never actually "bake" in our oven, as if we would really want to make cake in the woods. I've suggested to my wife that she start collecting a list of ideas for cooking in the oven. Most anything you can cook in the micro, you can cook in the oven, though I'd agree a mug of coffee just isn't practical. We make bacon in it, for example. We do that in the house, too, and use cooking parchment so there is no mess.

And, no, I don't think popcorn in the oven is a thing. It would be interesting to know if there is a way, though

The one thing I hate about the oven is lighting the pilot. We never leave our pilot lit as a safety thing. Has anyone here tried a candle lighter like this one? https://www.amazon.com/Long-Neck-Win.../dp/B08SBNC1B5 It looks like it may work better than an aim-n-flame, so I might get one. Only $22.
I use a USB rechargeable lighter for the oven in my 2108DS. Works like a charm. I too dislike lighting the oven pilot, but live in my MM full-time and use the oven for pizza, muffins, and other meals. I boondock 90% of the time and like having multiple ways to cook (electric micro/gas powered stove/oven).

Really beautiful and creative job on those who have replaced their micro.
🙂
Amazonica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 07:43 PM   #20
Winnie-Wise

Quote:

The hardware was purchased from Winnebago to match our existing cabinets, and it works very well.
Do you know if the hardware match was only available from Winnebago?

I bought a Suburban Cooktop 3631A for the cooktop reno and the glass top to match the 2020 model year 2106 which had the stove.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	suburban_3631A.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	20.5 KB
ID:	182765   Click image for larger version

Name:	2020_2106 with Suburban Flush Mount.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	182766  

Tags