Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-14-2023, 01:03 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Leaking rear window on my 2019 Minnie Drop 1710!

Leaking rear window on my 2019 Minnie Drop 1710!

I had my rear window replaced for my original leak which was the failure of the glazing gasket. Winnebago did not cover it under my extended warranty. Paid for the new window and labor myself!
The new window had the same failure less than a year after it was replaced! The leak is being caused by the poor seal between the glazing gasket and the window glass. It tends to leak more with water runoff from the roof rather than heavy rain. As the gasket contracts more the leak gets worse even in heavy rain. I have been working with a local Winnebago dealer and they have contacted Winnebago and Lippert. Winnebago's answer was to shim the whole window up higher, closer to vertical. I told the local dealer that was not acceptable. They don't understand the actual failure that I have explained to them many times. I have decided to take the Minnie drop to a local rv repair shop closer to me.
Winnebago should have never installed a window on the back slope of the fiberglass roof. This was their fault to use the window in this location and Lippert's fault for a poor window design.

Rod
Rod48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2023, 09:38 PM   #2
Site Team

Rod, don’t confuse Winnebago with a Winnebago dealer AND Winnebago offers no “extended warranties.”

Your dealer sold you an extended service contract, not Winnebago. The dealer bought that service contract from some 3rd party insurance company. So “Winnebago” did not decline to cover your repair under your extended warranty. Whatever contract you purchased from whatever company is who didn’t cover the cost of your repair. Winnebago had nothing to do with it at all.

And when you go to your dealer for a repair that too is not Winnebago, that’s a dealership that sells Winnebago RVs, but has very little more than that to do with Winnebago the company.

Seeking a better place to get repairs is a great idea. But understand that it’s not been Winnebago that’s letting you down in these repairs.

However, I looked at that rear window on the 2019 Minnie Drop 1710, and you certainly could fault Winnebago for that questionable design choice.
Old 08-16-2023, 12:38 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Hi creativepart,

Thanks for the reply.

I understand the extended warranty is not through Winnebago. I still fault Winnebago for using that window design in this sloped location!

I'm glad you agree with me about the questionable window design choice.

I have already spoken to another a good RV repair shop near me and he already has a solution for the leak: covering the outside and inside weep holes with silicone caulk. He may also replace the glazing gasket and use a sealant on it. That should resolve the leak.

Thanks again and happy camping!
Rod 48
Rod48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, window