Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-06-2023, 08:30 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 27
F150 Lightning EV for towing Micro Minnie

I tried a search on this topic in towing and trailers but came up with nothing. So im probably using the wrong search terms. Please be king.

We have a micro Minnie we pull with an F 150 (2016). It’s great—we’re happy except with living in state with highest gas prices in the nation. So im interested in hearing from Lightning owners who tow. I am intelligent enough to realize financially we’re better off keeping our paid off towing truck. I am interested in hearing how towing is going with those who are towing with the lightning. What do you like? Not y like? What should we consider besides where charging stations are located)
seredni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2023, 10:32 PM   #2
Site Team
 
Eagle5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: South Bend, WA
Posts: 2,574
The last time I looked, it was 90 for 90.
That is, $90,000 for an all-electric Ford F-150 that while towing a trailer could only make it 90 miles.
This technology is not ready for truck & trailer travel.
Eagle5
__________________
2019 Minnie Winnie 22M on an E-450 frame
Eagle5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2023, 08:09 AM   #3
Site Team
 
creativepart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Spring Branch, TX
Posts: 8,095
Quote:
Originally Posted by seredni View Post
I am interested in hearing how towing is going with those who are towing with the lightning. What do you like? Not y like? What should we consider besides where charging stations are located)
I don’t remember anyone here that has mentioned doing this. So, personal experience is likely not going to be found.

You might try asking on IRV2 for F150 Lightening towing a trailer but doubt it will be a Micro Minnie specifically. If you find someone that has done this.

I have seen and spoken to someone towing one of the larger larger Forest River T@b with a Rivian EV pickup. But they were just starting out. They anticipated about 100 mi of range when towing. The T@b weighed about 3,600 lbs.
__________________
2017 Winnebago Adventurer 37F
2016 Lincoln MKX Toad
creativepart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2023, 08:29 AM   #4
Winnebago Master
 
bigb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 1,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by seredni View Post
I tried a search on this topic in towing and trailers but came up with nothing. So im probably using the wrong search terms. Please be king.

We have a micro Minnie we pull with an F 150 (2016). It’s great—we’re happy except with living in state with highest gas prices in the nation. So im interested in hearing from Lightning owners who tow. I am intelligent enough to realize financially we’re better off keeping our paid off towing truck. I am interested in hearing how towing is going with those who are towing with the lightning. What do you like? Not y like? What should we consider besides where charging stations are located)
You could also ask over at the Airforums, there are quite a few people towing Airstreams with EVs. Might just want to ask about the truck though without mentioning you aren't going to buy an Airstream. They'll want to know the weight of what you are planning to tow though. Seems if I recall the ones towing with Teslas are going the furthest between charges, and there are several Rivians as well. I think there are some Lightning owners on the forum but don't quote me on that.
Here's an interesting article, he tows an Airstream

https://www.npr.org/2022/06/20/11049...les-automakers
__________________
Brian
2011 Winnebago Via 25Q on 2010 Sprinter Chassis
bigb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2023, 10:15 AM   #5
Site Team
 
Eagle5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: South Bend, WA
Posts: 2,574
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle5 View Post
The last time I looked, it was 90 for 90.
That is, $90,000 for an all-electric Ford F-150 that while towing a trailer could only make it 90 miles.
This technology is not ready for truck & trailer travel.
Eagle5
Here is the Motortrend Article:
Tow No! The Ford F-150 Lightning Struggled in Our Towing Test
__________________
2019 Minnie Winnie 22M on an E-450 frame
Eagle5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2023, 11:00 AM   #6
Winnebago Master
 
bigb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 1,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle5 View Post
Not too good for a vehicle that you buy for working and towing is it? But then there is a pretty large segment of people out there who buy trucks just for daily drivers/grocery getters and don't intend on ever towing, I suppose they will make up the majority of purchasers. IMO Ford tried to do too much, making it into a truck that can power tools and your house, albeit very minimally. How many folks actually want or need that? Maybe they should have stuck to putting more into just powering the truck itself. Pretty sure Rivian does better at that.

Or maybe not, or not by much anyway: https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3...towing-tested/
__________________
Brian
2011 Winnebago Via 25Q on 2010 Sprinter Chassis
bigb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2023, 01:03 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Location: Abbotsford, BC
Posts: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigb View Post
Not too good for a vehicle that you buy for working and towing is it? But then there is a pretty large segment of people out there who buy trucks just for daily drivers/grocery getters and don't intend on ever towing, I suppose they will make up the majority of purchasers. IMO Ford tried to do too much, making it into a truck that can power tools and your house, albeit very minimally. How many folks actually want or need that? Maybe they should have stuck to putting more into just powering the truck itself. Pretty sure Rivian does better at that.

Or maybe not, or not by much anyway: https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3...towing-tested/
I think what you also see today is the tailoring to off road, forgetting many buy a truck just for towing or hauling on payment. As you mentioned daily drivers and grocery getters too. It's a tough market trying to accommodate everyone, they are getting better than they did in the 80's with more and more models.

I have not viewed this video, may help.

__________________
Lyle, 2017 Micro Minnie 2106FBS, 2018 Toyota Tacoma Limited, Haloview MC7109, Equalizer E4 WDH, Link to BC Born Albums
https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...13-albums.html
Bcborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
light, towing, tow


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How happy are you with the F150 2.7? essbase Towing, Hitching and Vehicles 2 02-28-2019 07:31 AM
Towing F150 46490 Towing, Hitching and Vehicles 14 05-15-2016 11:49 PM
F150 toad 46490 Towing, Hitching and Vehicles 11 02-04-2016 09:24 PM
Lightning Strikes - Winnebago Steel Cab Shields Owners DriVer Winnebago General Discussions 9 07-23-2008 05:44 PM
Lightning strike... AFChap Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics 40 01-23-2007 06:22 PM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Winnebago Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.