Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2008, 03:37 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Just musing, but I am wondering if there is a quality drop off in units (not just Winny, but all makes)coming off the assembly lines today. I've noted some problems with newer unit while reading some posts. So I muse out loud.

Given that problems are a part of RVs anyway? How are the assemblers reacting with the shrinking work week and layoffs? Are employees still motivated to do well or has morale slipped to a "whatever" attitude.

I do not know, but I am curious. I do not know how I would motivate me employees at a time like this. Just interested in thoughts on subject.

P.S. DriVer, perhaps you could link this to "MH general discussions. Thanks sir
Old 05-01-2008, 03:37 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Just musing, but I am wondering if there is a quality drop off in units (not just Winny, but all makes)coming off the assembly lines today. I've noted some problems with newer unit while reading some posts. So I muse out loud.

Given that problems are a part of RVs anyway? How are the assemblers reacting with the shrinking work week and layoffs? Are employees still motivated to do well or has morale slipped to a "whatever" attitude.

I do not know, but I am curious. I do not know how I would motivate me employees at a time like this. Just interested in thoughts on subject.

P.S. DriVer, perhaps you could link this to "MH general discussions. Thanks sir
Old 05-01-2008, 04:19 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

I've linked this to MH General Discssion.

Interesting question. While I have no experience in manufacturing, I do have many years in a business where employee morale is critical to the outcome.

If I were in the management of one of the surviving RV manufacturers, I would make sure employees understood the importance of quality as it relates to customer satisfaction = sales = workers keep their jobs. Also, I'd make sure I do things that help employees feel appreciated for good work. Finally, I'd have a financial team incentive program that would reward teams/individuals for producing units with few/minimal defects.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 04:24 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Thanks smlranger for linking. Was too lazy to rewrite in new department.

I currently work for a company where mistakes are killing us, but I can not get the boss to try incentives rather than punishment. Case studies have not worked, but I am glad to read your comments on the subject.
Old 05-01-2008, 04:32 AM   #5
I helped | retired moderator

IMHO, slipping quality is less related to employee morale, but a result of management trying to reduce costs in these difficult times.

Perhaps using cheaper components, or reducing the time alloted for a particular building process.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 08:02 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

I have yet to find a newer unit that exceeds the qualitiy in mine enough to make me want to "upgrade"
Old 05-01-2008, 10:47 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Trips out since the first of the year, when we had several issues adjusted, repaired, realigned, replaced, opened up, closed, tighten, loosened, banged flat or glued, have been, knock on wood, repair free. This has included trips of 50 miles, 200 miles, and 1200 miles. Our coach is finally driving, riding and staying together as we believe it should have from the day we bought it. From the complaints I've been reading on coaches of all makes, I would be hard pressed, short of winning the lotto, to even consider "upgrading" my present coach.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 02:12 PM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

I purchased an 'older' coach. I found problems with it that were there when it was 'new'. The previous 'fixes' consisted mostly of just covering the problem with caulk. I have over the past 7-8 months fixed everything I have found. I am glad there are products like 'eternabond' etc that make the job easier to do. I am also glad I do not have a newer unit as it would probably make me sick to think it got less valuable due to no other issue than age. As an afterthought, I also think this downturn in the economy will have a permanent effect on the RV industry, in the long run. The rigs are way overpriced for the problems encountered. I saw a newer '2005' fiesta that had essentially the same floor plan as mine, and admittedly looked a little better on the outside, but mine was better on the inside. It didn't justify about a $40k difference between them for me to upgrade. I'll just keep mine.
JMHO.

Callsign: KD8W
hamdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 03:10 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
I worked at IBM when there was a Quality Control department and they had a say in what went out the door until the day they went out the door and QUALITY went with them.

It all started when the Harvard Business School types came in with the "Bottom Line" mentality and how fast can I get to the top attitude.
Old 05-02-2008, 03:44 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

I was up to Winnebago a few weeks ago and the thinking there at the time was to try to keep employees busy as possible, so as not to lose any of them. So they obviously value their employees and were really trying to keep them. Some times the best laid out plans do not work.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 09:32 PM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by oemtech:
I worked at IBM when there was a Quality Control department and they had a say in what went out the door until the day they went out the door and QUALITY went with them.

It all started when the Harvard Business School types came in with the "Bottom Line" mentality and how fast can I get to the top attitude. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Absolutly correct. I used to call them the bean counters..

I worked for a once well thought of telcom company in Virginia. Our Presidents moto was do it right or I'll get someone who will. He would rather spend money on quality products, rather than be the first to market junk. When he died and the bean counters took over it wasn't long before it all went down hill..

If RV companies want to stay in business they must offer a quality product and that starts with good people, good build standards and more importantly, when problems arise and they will, they must stand behind they product and make it right for the customer.

jmo

W
Old 05-04-2008, 03:35 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

I see the future of the RV indudstry, hopefully, changing for the better for those that will be able to afford the fuel to use them. In order for the manufacturers to stay in business they are going to have to inmprove quality and offer a longer warranty than their competitor's. One company has now went to this statagy and I think others will follow.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 10:05 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Absolutly correct. I used to call them the bean counters.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
That's what we had running the war in Vietnam (Robert McNamara). Look how that turned out.

I think for $100,000 to a mil+ for these toys (rolling homes, etc) we have a right to expect them to work right out of the box. Having to have warranty work done should be the exception rather than rule. The only reason I take my car back to the dealer is to get its routine preventive maintenance service. Why should I have to make six trips to the dealer to get my steps that broke three times fixed under warranty. One trip each to find out what broke and another to install that part that wasn't in stock on the first trip. These steps are not a new item, they have been in service for years. They should know how to make them to last by now. A lot of the problems with the MHs appears to be shoddy parts being provided to the manufacturers by the suppliers. Who holds them accountable? Example: Heard any complaints about Dometic lately? Any complaints on leaking hydraulics? The manufacturers are going to have to demand quality parts and then install them correctly, the first time.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 11:15 AM   #14
Winnie-Wise

To everything there is a season - and so it is with most companies. When a company is in trouble the first thing they do is: call in the bean counters to get their house in financial order.

On the other hand businesses doing well and not watching the dollar, over spend and overlook the fiscal responsibilties to their shareholders.

What should happen - when times are tough you don't lay off your sales department or marketing division (except for those who aren't productive) - if you do you cut off your income capabilities. Take appropriate layoff's if necessary to stay trim. Be proactive not re-active.

Unfortunately the discretionary income is the first to go which makes all this even more difficult to do. I've been there did that.