Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-11-2022, 08:27 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

2022 Micro Minnie 2108DS Murphy Bed

Hello all. I recently purchased a 2022 Micro Minnie 2108DS. Should I tow with the Murphy bed up or down? I can see advantages both ways but I definitely don’t want to damage the gas struts, end tables, or hinge. Thanks.
cooper31525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 06:44 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Share with us what your manual says - we all learn. Welcome to a new set of friends!
Old 11-12-2022, 07:08 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lv2Roam2 View Post
Share with us what your manual says - we all learn. Welcome to a new set of friends!
I couldn’t find the answer in the manual which is why I’m asking on this forum.
Old 11-12-2022, 07:24 AM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lv2Roam2 View Post
Share with us what your manual says - we all learn.
Those of us with motorhomes are spoiled with huge detailed Operator’s Manuals” covering just about every subject. But, travel trailers are notoriously deficient when it comes to printed manuals. Same goes for online resources, too. This would be a great “tradition” for Winnebago to break. I’m afraid that’s wishful thinking.
Old 11-12-2022, 09:05 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Definitely down.
I didn’t know the correct answer until I towed with it up a couple of times, and the constant jarring movement froze one of the struts. Then when trying to put the bed down, it snapped the bracket. Fortunately the bed will operate ok with just one strut. I think it would be ok to travel with bed up if you install a locking restraint so it won’t jerk itself around. I called customer service, and their answer was bed down while in transit.
Old 11-12-2022, 09:25 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine359 View Post
Definitely down.
I didn’t know the correct answer until I towed with it up a couple of times, and the constant jarring movement froze one of the struts. Then when trying to put the bed down, it snapped the bracket. Fortunately the bed will operate ok with just one strut. I think it would be ok to travel with bed up if you install a locking restraint so it won’t jerk itself around. I called customer service, and their answer was bed down while in transit.
Perfect. Thank you so much! Sorry about your troubles.
Old 11-12-2022, 09:53 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

FLX Murphey beds

I have poked around here, on YouTube, and with the dealer and found a few items related to this.
First of all, models change from year to year and also within the year.
Winnebago did a major upgrade to the MicroMinnie line with the FLX models in 2022.
There are, many discussions of the 2108DS (Non-FLX) models which complain about the mattress of the Murphey beds and what replacements they have made. The 2022 FLX has a very different mattress, which we find is excellent.
A winnebago corporate video touts the ability of the new 2022 FLX murphey bed to close vertical and flush. It doesn’t. I exchanged several emails and photos with WTO discussing why ours doesn’t close flush and vertical. They never could identify any reason. I brought this up with our service tech, when we did the Propane valve recall, he said none of them do and ours looked better than many.
The Winnebago video also said the 2022 FLX murphey bed was specifically designed to travel in either the “up” (closed) or “down” (open) position. We always travel with it in the up position and have had no issues.
And don’t get me started on the electrical system! Haha!

- steve
SactoSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 10:36 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SactoSteve View Post
I have poked around here, on YouTube, and with the dealer and found a few items related to this.
First of all, models change from year to year and also within the year.
Winnebago did a major upgrade to the MicroMinnie line with the FLX models in 2022.
There are, many discussions of the 2108DS (Non-FLX) models which complain about the mattress of the Murphey beds and what replacements they have made. The 2022 FLX has a very different mattress, which we find is excellent.
A winnebago corporate video touts the ability of the new 2022 FLX murphey bed to close vertical and flush. It doesn’t. I exchanged several emails and photos with WTO discussing why ours doesn’t close flush and vertical. They never could identify any reason. I brought this up with our service tech, when we did the Propane valve recall, he said none of them do and ours looked better than many.
The Winnebago video also said the 2022 FLX murphey bed was specifically designed to travel in either the “up” (closed) or “down” (open) position. We always travel with it in the up position and have had no issues.
And don’t get me started on the electrical system! Haha!

- steve
I didn’t have much hope for the split bed since I have back trouble. As a backup, I brought along a 10” outdoor Aerobed that I bought 15 years ago. Thirty minutes into our first night, my wife and I pulled out the split Murphy bed and threw it in the back of the truck. The queen size Aerobed fit perfectly and we slept great. The split bed now lives in our attic. ��
Old 11-12-2022, 10:45 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooper31525 View Post
I didn’t have much hope for the split bed since I have back trouble. As a backup, I brought along a 10” outdoor Aerobed that I bought 15 years ago. Thirty minutes into our first night, my wife and I pulled out the split Murphy bed and threw it in the back of the truck. The queen size Aerobed fit perfectly and we slept great. The split bed now lives in our attic. ��
Aerobed? What’s that? And will the bed stay in the up position without removing the mattress? We so want to get rid of our split mattress, but haven’t found an alternative that doesn’t involve removing the shelf over the bed.
Old 11-12-2022, 11:06 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine359 View Post
Aerobed? What’s that? And will the bed stay in the up position without removing the mattress? We so want to get rid of our split mattress, but haven’t found an alternative that doesn’t involve removing the shelf over the bed.
An Aerobed is an air mattress. It sleeps well for us but we are accustomed to sleeping on a Sleep Number bed in our house. I don’t see the outdoor version we bought. It had pump that could be run by battery/12V/AC. Air mattresses are pretty cheap so it may be a worthwhile experiment for you.
Old 11-12-2022, 12:01 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Glad you found a solution that works for you. Regarding the up or down question, Aerobeds are pretty light weight, I wouldn’t see any reason it would effect the beds travel position?
- steve
SactoSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2022, 12:47 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Aero beds were and may still be an upscale air bed. I got a used one and it needs to be pumped up every day or two. But it was used. 110 volt pump
bostonmary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2022, 05:39 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

I was told to tow with it down.
jaywhite674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 04:03 PM   #14
Lauri & Joe

Murphy up or down

I asked our dealer and he mentioned that the struts had been beefed up in the 2022 so up or down didn’t matter. We go with up.

We replaced our OEM w part mattress with a 9” Scarsdale hybrid mattress 54”x80” without a hinge from mattressinsider.com. We taco it in half and tie down with the original strap system and it closes fine even with the comforter on it. One of us is heavy, so a hybrid mattress is more supportive and the lack of hinge keeps the mattress from sinking at the hinge position.

We tried just putting a 3” topper on the OEM mattress but that wasn’t enough for us.

Your experience may vary, but it works for us in our 2022 2108ds.
ZottHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 06:13 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZottHart View Post
I asked our dealer and he mentioned that the struts had been beefed up in the 2022 so up or down didn’t matter. We go with up.

We replaced our OEM w part mattress with a 9” Scarsdale hybrid mattress 54”x80” without a hinge from mattressinsider.com. We taco it in half and tie down with the original strap system and it closes fine even with the comforter on it. One of us is heavy, so a hybrid mattress is more supportive and the lack of hinge keeps the mattress from sinking at the hinge position.

We tried just putting a 3” topper on the OEM mattress but that wasn’t enough for us.

Your experience may vary, but it works for us in our 2022 2108ds.
Wow,
Great news Zotthart,
Can you post photos of your mattress in up and down position. Thinking, this is the best we’ve seen to kick the split foam OEM mattress to the curb.
Old 12-07-2022, 07:02 PM   #16
Lauri & Joe

A day too late

We just put the trailer in storage after returning from Big Bend NP so I don’t have easy access to it. Basically, we pull the top of the mattress toward us and tie the top and bottom together with the strap and clasp system leaving the middle portion fairly rounded. The shape of the Murphy storage area allows a wider, less smushed area for the mattress “fold” and the compression of the head and foot of the mattress helps fit the top of the Murphy storage area. The bed, as you raise the Murphy wall causes the bed to slip down a bit to better fit the storage space. And a little last second tuck in of the sheets or blankets so they don’t stick out and you’re set.

My husband did NOT believe it would close flat. But it does. It’s a bit of a struggle to fold the mattress to strap it down but I think I’ve come up with an additional strap to go under the mattress from foot to head and a few feet more so that you can pull the mattress head up toward the foot a little easier than our current wrestling process. Will be trying it out on our next trip out.
Old 02-01-2023, 03:38 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

I have a 2019 2108DS which I bought used in 2020. The fellow I bought it from told me that the dealer walk-through he got when he purchased it new stated the bed should be in the down position with the straps attached to the side of the mattress frame strapped across the mattress.
Old 02-01-2023, 07:59 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Straps no need. Down position while traveling yes. I traveled with Murphy bed in up position once and one of the gas struts seized and broke its lower bracket. Now I only travel with the bed down.
Old 03-16-2023, 03:18 AM   #19
Winnebago Camper

any reason why you went with a 54 x 80 rather than a 54 x 75 scarsdale mattress?
anewrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 12:31 PM   #20
Lauri & Joe

With our pillows we're both a little taller than is comfortable on the 75" mattress and the extra 5" makes it not feel like our feet are hanging off the end of the bed.