Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-14-2021, 03:38 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

View 24V - Carefree awning question

We have a 2019 View 24V with a Carefree Travel'r awning. I'm working through some other issues with this awning, but I am posting this question to other View owners to see if my problem is unique.

The awning fabric does not extend past the side door opening. If it happens to be raining and the awning is extended, when you open the door you get no protection at all. As a matter of fact, you get less than that because the rain from the roof will dump right above the hinge side of the door.

How is everyone dealing with this or is it something that you just have to live with? Our only solution right now is to only open the door far enough to slip inside and hope for the best.
LAT-LON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 05:38 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

My awning (2018 24V) extends just forward of the hinged side of the side entry door. To date, we have not used it in rain, so I can't say for sure whether it will provide any more protection from the rain, than nothing at all.
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 07:35 AM   #3
" Winnie Nutt "

This is a very good question for the forum . My 2019 24D has the same issue . If they had mounted the awning just a few inches forward of the door opening hinges it would not be a problem . Also if you lower the awning slides for an angle and extra sun shade in the afternoon when sun is setting the door hangs the awning when closing the door .

Hope we hear some solutions for this issue .
Buddy’s RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 08:43 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

The problem arises because there just isn't any way to mount the awning any further forward on the curbside wall. My awning has the Alumagard shield which makes the problem worse because water coming off the roof is caught in the shield and drains above the door hinges along with the roof mounting rail.
I've tried to come up with a way to extend the Alumagard, but haven't been successful yet. I have to be extra careful because after mounting a motion sensor, the awning could roll up at any time it gets too windy.

I agree, dropping the awning a notch or two makes the problem worse because the awning actually comes inside the door opening. If I have to kneel the awning, I do it on the backend support only so that the water will hopefully flow in that direction.

Hopefully there is someone out there more inventive than I've been and we can all share in their solution.
Old 05-04-2021, 12:09 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

directing water flow

I have the same awning on a j model. I solve this problem by lowering the back edge of the awning to direct the water runoff to the back. This is a common tactic with certain awnings. There are buttons on the arms provided for this purpose.

Even on a sunny day you will get runoff on the awning from your air conditioner. Lower the back edge and it will not bother you at the door.
notbusdrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 01:23 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

"Kneeling" the awning will only help if the RV is exactly level, and even then it will only force the rain water to flow to the low corner of the awning. The problem here is that the awning fabric does not extend past the door hinges and does not offer any protection when entering or leaving the RV. It's like you have an umbrella and tilt it to allow the rain to run off, but you don't cover all of your head.

Tags
awning, view