Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-22-2021, 04:02 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

condensation in small storage area 2019 Minnie Winnie

I have a Minnie Winnie 22M. There is a small exterior storage area near the door. Have noticed condensation collecting on the upper interior wall. This area is below the kitchen sink, but there is no water in the pipes. The system is winterized. No evidence of leaks in any kitchen plumbing. Has anyone experienced something similar? Thanks for your help.
CantTakeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 11:51 PM   #2
Site Team

On mine, it does have a tenancy to collect moisture. I open it when we have a non-rainy day to let it air-out, and I leave a few moth balls in there, just to preclude the growth of mold.
We Shall Have No Fungus Amongus!
Eagle5
Old 04-25-2021, 11:59 PM   #3
Site Team

Definitely keep it dry in there, or you might grow Green Slime.
Old 04-27-2021, 02:18 AM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

I also have had condensation building up in a small storage bay just below the water heater.

My service rep had me bring it in for inspection. He found that there was no caulking around the bay. Also says that there is natural condensation around the water heater.

So far the problem has been solved.
Bugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 06:38 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Funny you mention this because yesterday I decided to drill 4, 1/4" holes in the bottom of this storage box on my 22M to allow air to circulate and hopefully keep the container and its contents dry.
Boale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 09:13 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

West Marine and other marine supply stores sell a variety of vents in different sizes, maybe one would be suitable for your needs:

https://www.westmarine.com/search/ma...ation?Ntt=vent
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 07:54 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Thanks to all for your responses. I really appreciate it.
Old 05-01-2021, 09:06 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Eagle 5, can always count on you!
Hahaha, great clip!
We have one of those shrinking type hoses in a clear container store plastic box in that smaller storage area, with a cover on top, not a perfect seal.
Guess there was more moisture in the hose than we thought.
Too cold to put it out to dry when we got home.
Have a non slip rug in there to keep things from sliding, it was soaked & the top of storage area had lots of condensation.
Removed the hose box, no problems since.
The condensation from the wet hose caused it I guess. Nowhere for moisure to go in air tight compartment.
Hope you guys are good during these insane times.
Thanks again!
Old 05-01-2021, 12:20 PM   #9
Site Team

Hi CantTakeit,
Yes, any material that can wick water isn't good, but I do use an anti-slip mat which really cannot hold any appreciable amount of water. My tool box would slide-around in there without the mat.
Insane times? Maybe not as nuts as actually paying to see The Green Slime in the Raymond Theater back in 1968. It was a movie that was so awful, it was good (in a way.) In the same year, we also saw 2001: A Space Odyssey. Can the contrast of something so good make The Green Slime seem even worse? Maybe so, but we had fun then, and we are still having fun now. There is beauty in the world; a colorful sunset, or a walk with the dog while the cherry blossoms fall onto the ground like pink snow. Life is good.
Thanks, Eagle5
Old 05-03-2021, 08:39 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Why do we get condensation on a window? Air is 100% saturated (holding as much water as it can,) and then it gets colder outside. The cooler air is, the less water it can hold.
The fully saturated air touches the cold glass, water falls out of the air as it cools, and the glass ends up with water on it. It then puddles at the bottom of the glass.
It is likely that this humidity and cooling phenomenon is in play with this condensation issue.
Keep that in mind when deciding how you want to deal with it. If it's a wall with a hot water tank heating the wall and enough humidity, and you could have condensation inside the adjacent box, as is acts as the window glass effect. Yes, you could put in a drain, but glueing a sheet of foam insulation might also work. Moving to Arizona could also be a more aggressive solution.
Rick 99037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 09:33 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

I would not recommend drilling holes in the bottom as that can lead to water coming up from the bottom during rainy weather.
Seals around the door are a common problem.
But the wet material is a very likely cause. As it heats during the day, the water vapor comes out but when it cools, it doesn't go back where it came from so winds up on the walls if it is not vented to the outside.
We've found venting is a tricky thing when the compartments are so close to the ground where there is so much splashing.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
storage