Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-11-2023, 07:01 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Unhappy Two Items To Be Aware Of For 2023 Winnebago View

Two things everyone should know that is considering buying a Winnebago View motorhome. No one except a person with large hands can open the exterior door with one hand. I am a 33 year old young lady (with no hand problems and average size hands) and I can’t open the main door into the coach without setting down what I am carrying to open the door with both hands and even then it’s a struggle to get it open. This is very annoying when trying to load anything in. They have it designed that you have to put your thumb on a specific spot and pull the handle out. I have grown up with trailers and have never seen such a bad design for the door handle. We brought the motorhome to our local dealer who said they would “take a look at it” and nothing has changed on the ease of pulling the handle. Unfortunately, the adjustment they did make left a gap in the bottom of the door. Who wants to set down their load on the dirty ground? I want people to consider that this is a big problem.

Problem two is you can’t run the convection/microwave and induction cook top at the same time. If you do, the induction cook top will stop running then beep and flash an error code when the convection/microwave is turned on. Again we brought it to our local dealership and nothing changed. This is really a pain when you are trying to make a dinner meal and warming up two things at once. This was confirmed by Winnebago support that there is a power sharing relay which prioritizes the convection/microwave over the induction cooktop. Our salesperson did not make us aware of this limitation.

Just two items to think about if you are considering a purchase of a Winnebago View. There are many other things to love about the motorhome but these are big annoyances.
tbr2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 05:01 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

While I'm not a young lady (72, male), I had trouble with the door as well. There are two u-shaped catches on the left-side door frame that are adjustable; I fiddled with them and got them to where the latches can "let go" more easily. Not sure what the dealer did to leave a gab at the bottom. But if you're handy with tools and are careful, you can give that a try. Or if you know someone who might help - be sure to mark where they are now so that if they aren't successful, the catches can be put back where they are now. Just move them a little bit at a time - there's not much leeway, but it may remedy your problem.

Haven't had the chance to use either the microwave or the cooktop - our first outing is next week.

Good luck!
Mickey
MRichaud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 08:07 AM   #3
Site Team

The Microwave/induction issue has nothing to do with Winnebago and I’d be shocked if your dealer didn’t explain this to you. Your motorhome has 30-amp electrical service. So, yeah, you can’t run two high amperage devices that together pull 30-amps or more.

Winnebago has installed an EMS, electric management system to automatically limit your power usage to keep you from popping circuit breakers. Without it you’d likely lose all power from a blown circuit breaker when trying to run both items at the same time. This is a plus and something you want to have, not a limitation.

There is nothing your dealer can do to “fix” this issue because, while you may find it an inconvenience, it is not an issue or problem. It’s simply an electrical fact of life in an electric motorhome with 30-amp service.
Old 04-12-2023, 10:58 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Whether it is just the times or normal, what we often find in RV is that the repair folks are not well trained. One big reason is that so many left the job but also there is such a wide range of talents involved in being a full blown RV repair tech that most never get the full training they need. The RV field is far more complex than the normal auto shop as it involves a far wider range. Also in a large auto repair shop, there are different groups for different repairs. Paint, body repair, oil change, electrical, etc.

But when we pull into an RV shop, we often get a guy who is considered pretty good at all things but a master of only a few. They may know body, air or mechanical but have little idea about all the other things like adjusting the latch on a door!

If they adjusted the latching by moving the door, they have missed some of the basic training needed!

As mentioned, most would adjust the latch to change the latching. You move the door to adjust the way the door closes and the folks have to know the difference!

For the power sharing, it is an option added to allow two high current items to work using a single 20 amp breaker and wiring. Nothing the dealer can do to change that would be practical as it is the way it is built for folks who do not want to use propane for cooking.
Click image for larger version

Name:	power.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	185621
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 08:21 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Are you able to back to dealer and confirm you have trouble opening all Winnebago View Doors? If you find one that is acceptable you at least know it fixable for you. If Dealer can't fix call WBGO directly.

If you need more than 30amps at any moment in time; you may have considered a 50 amp coach as part of your requirement. That is going to be true on any RV. I can't think of anything except maybe use a different external power source for say your microwave. In other words connect shorepower like normal, then run a extension cord to plug direct into pedestal or similar outlet that will provide power to the microwave.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3; Roadmaster Nighthawk 676; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; Southwire EMS 44270/34951 Display 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2023, 07:29 AM   #6
'21 View 24J

Hi - On our '21 View the two latch hooks get loaded up quite a bit when the door is closed, due to the design of the latch mechanism. Once the hooks are set with the door closed, it takes some force to get the hooks released from the latches. It is a little bit of an over centre design, intended to keep the door snug.

Pushing in on the door before pulling on the handle removes the force required, on our '21 model, at least. (We've been doing this as normal operations for some time now, to relieve the wear and tear on the latching mechanism.) This can be done one-handed - I push in on the bottom door handle with the palm of my hand to remove the over centre force of the latch, pull the latch, then open the door. The effort to open the door becomes minimal.

Now, this might be one of those posts that does not apply to the issue of concern, but I thought I'd throw it out there as food for thought.

Have a good season.

Cheers,
Ontario Don is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ems, view, winnebago