Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-24-2020, 02:43 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

Portable jump starters

The last time I pulled a toad I found that the battery was dead when we arrived - apparently the headlights were on while it was being towed and the jumper cables would not reach from the RV front engine to the car on the dolly. Fortunately we found a nearby camper who was happy to jump start the car, but it made me realize that jumper cables are not enough.

Given that, I have been looking into the portable jump starters as an insurance policy, but would like to make sure anything I bought would work on the RV as well as on our car. Our Fuse has a 3.5L diesel and I guess jump starting a diesel takes more power than our car, a Honda Fit, and since I don't know much about these portable jump starters I thought I would ask if anyone carries one and, if so, which one and are they happy with it.

The Fuse has a battery bridge to the house battery so I am not so much worried about starting it, but it seems reasonable to get something that would work for both, just in case. I also have a roadside assistance plan, but waiting for a battery jump out in the middle of nowhere seems like a good way to ruin an otherwise perfectly good day out in the RV.
AJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 03:18 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Does the tow dolly connect to the Fuse via a 7 pin towing connection at the rear hitch? If so, it may be possible to steal some 12V charging power from the "hot" pin in the umbilical, and send it directly to the towed's battery by a fairly slender wire and fuse. My Blue Ox setup does just that, and my Wangler's battery is always ready to go whenever we need it. I think the wire is probably 6 gauge, and the fuse is a 20A blade fuse in a little holder. Perhaps see if a local RV shop could have a look, and give you some advice?
Portable chargers would also work, I'm sure. I'm not sure what their life cycle numbers are, though. Some are only good for a few boosts, then they fail. Maybe that's no longer tue, it just rings a bell from when these things first hit the market.
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 03:34 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

We bought one from https://antigravitybatteries.com/ and are happy with it. It starts the RV, the cars, etc. We have used it a couple of times and it's excellent. That said, there are many excellent choices. I can't speak to what your RV requires to jump it...
IOS 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 04:15 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbagoal View Post
Does the tow dolly connect to the Fuse via a 7 pin towing connection at the rear hitch? If so, it may be possible to steal some 12V charging power from the "hot" pin in the umbilical, and send it directly to the towed's battery by a fairly slender wire and fuse. My Blue Ox setup does just that, and my Wangler's battery is always ready to go whenever we need it. I think the wire is probably 6 gauge, and the fuse is a 20A blade fuse in a little holder. Perhaps see if a local RV shop could have a look, and give you some advice?
Portable chargers would also work, I'm sure. I'm not sure what their life cycle numbers are, though. Some are only good for a few boosts, then they fail. Maybe that's no longer tue, it just rings a bell from when these things first hit the market.
I logged on today to recommend this as an alternate as well and I feel it is a good plan for a couple different reasons.
On my 7 pin trailer connection, there is 12 volt battery when the RV key is on and that is often a pretty simple way to keep the toad battery charged.
If you have a 6 pin connector on the toad, it is quite likely that not all the pins are used, so finding which is dead and running a wire from it to the battery can be somewhat simple.
We can often get some confusion about what it takes to form a battery charger but in the simple form, any item with a battery voltage higher than the battery we are trying to charge can be considered a charger. Basis idea is somewhat like two containers of water that are connected together, the levels will even out and if we keep pumping water into one, both will get nearer full!

Where things get complicated is when we want the current/voltage to be regulated to avoid overfilling the battery. That's where we get into what fits our mind as a charger and it does need more electronics to do that when we have something plugged into 110AC as an unlimited source as it can "overfill" the battery but if we are using the RV charging system, it does already have those limits built in and it will not charge the toad battery any more than it normally does the RV.

That also make the size of wire between the RV and toad battery much less problem. We need very large battery cables to start a car but for charging, the voltage difference and time involved make something like a 12-14 gauge wire work quite well . If you have a toad battery that is run down to 10-11 volts, there will be more current but if you do not run that battery down because you have it charging all the time the RV is on, the difference in the two batteries will be very small at all times, so very little charging current runs through the wire! How much current flows is based on the difference in the voltages, so if that voltage difference is very small, the current will also be very small. Hook a charged tow battery to a charged RV battery and they are almost the same, so little current and the wire can be small?

And that gets back to the second reason I favor going with adding a wire as it does assure you that the tow car battery WILL NOT go down and possibly let the lights go out some time when you might get caught running late and into the dark!

Plus it's lots better for you and the battery if you don't have to jump start it after it gets run way down!

The "standard" for wiring but there are lots of things that are not done in the standard way!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7 way connection.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	176518   Click image for larger version

Name:	6 way trailer and vehicle.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	176519  

Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 05:54 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Why not carry a regular car battery charger and a 50 foot extension cord with a 30-amp adapter. That way you can plug into a pedestal and charge the car reliably in a few hours.
Elkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 09:32 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

All kinds of different models and capacities for this type Jump Starter

Lithium battery and can be recharged with USB connector. Has other functions than just jump starting a battery.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 07:13 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
All kinds of different models and capacities for this type Jump Starter

Lithium battery and can be recharged with USB connector. Has other functions than just jump starting a battery.
Yes, and that was the kind of charger I was thinking about, but I was hoping that some posters had used them and could recommend a good brand. They are not the kind of thing that you can just test since you need a dead battery for it to actually have to jump start the car or RV and some of the reviews on Amazon said that some brands just did not work.
Old 12-25-2020, 07:15 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkman View Post
Why not carry a regular car battery charger and a 50 foot extension cord with a 30-amp adapter. That way you can plug into a pedestal and charge the car reliably in a few hours.
Two reasons. First, a lot of the time we are boondocking so there are no power pedestals around for me to use and, second, even if we do have hookups I don't want to have to wait around for a couple of hours for the charger to get the battery working again. The idea would be to be able to start the car and let the alternator charge the battery while driving.
Old 12-25-2020, 07:16 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by IOS 3 View Post
We bought one from https://antigravitybatteries.com/ and are happy with it. It starts the RV, the cars, etc. We have used it a couple of times and it's excellent. That said, there are many excellent choices. I can't speak to what your RV requires to jump it...
Thanks. Do you have the specific model number you bought?
Old 12-25-2020, 08:09 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMike View Post
Yes, and that was the kind of charger I was thinking about, but I was hoping that some posters had used them and could recommend a good brand. They are not the kind of thing that you can just test since you need a dead battery for it to actually have to jump start the car or RV and some of the reviews on Amazon said that some brands just did not work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMike View Post
Two reasons. First, a lot of the time we are boondocking so there are no power pedestals around for me to use and, second, even if we do have hookups I don't want to have to wait around for a couple of hours for the charger to get the battery working again. The idea would be to be able to start the car and let the alternator charge the battery while driving.
As far as a good brand goes, I can't help there but the one I have was used by a good Samaritan at a CG. It is not the one with the link. Research and tech reviews should weed out poor brands.

I had a problem with the MKX losing battery functionality. Pulled into a CG, checked in and when I came out I made a statement to the gentleman sitting there that I hoped the car would start. He said there was no problem as he could give the car a jump start.

Car didn't start and he left and came right back with a "deck of cards" (little bigger really) thing-a-ma-jig in his hands. Hooked the two leads up to the battery and we started the car.

Wouldn't you know, now that I have one I have not had the opportunity to use it. Go figure.

If you don't want to hang around waiting for a charge, get a charger that has the 50 amp boost. Start generator, hit the boost switch and start the car. I don't boondock but that is what I would have other than the USB one.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 10:42 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Additionally, after several hours of pulling the Toad and you pull in to set up camp and you find the Toad's battery is dead you do want to start it to park it at your campsite. Or you are going boondocking and you want drop off your RV and immediately start your Toad to verify the road and campsite are accessible and open for your RV.
al1florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 01:55 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

My DIL gave me a Halo Bolt a year or so ago. I have used it twice to start the Ford Flex.
Started it right up.

Also jumped a stranded lady at a fast food joint. Her terminals really need a good cleaning.

This year when we returned from TX, the riding mower battery was toast. All summer, I just used the Halo Bolt. The mower would start, disconnect the Halo, mow. Plug Halo in to charge for next time.
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 02:25 PM   #13
Winnie-Wise

I have had 3 of the jump starters over the years and the battery inside failed within a couple years. If the car battery is dead and the battery in the jump starter cannot provide enough voltage to start the car then what have you got? Even if the engine starts the batteries still need to be fully recharged and I would prefer to do that without running the engine for a couple of hours.

The only jump starter I would take a chance on actually working when needed is one with a lithium phosphate battery inside as battery life would be far longer.Take a few minutes and read the reviews on Amazon before buying anything. This review for the one mentioned in a post:
Reviewed in the United States on September 14, 2020Size: 2500AVerified Purchase
"OK have two of these die, they did take my first one back.....Now stuck with another bad one...."

For USB devices there are better choices such as these Anker PowerCore lithium ion battery packs:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Elkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 03:04 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

Quote:
If the car battery is dead and the battery in the jump starter cannot provide enough voltage to start the car then what have you got?
Yes. Pretty much the condition I had when I needed to find someone to jump start the car.

Quote:
For USB devices there are better choices such as these Anker PowerCore lithium ion battery packs:
Before I upgraded my batteries I bought a power pack for the phones and the computer, and it has been reasonably reliable. Now, of course, I don't really need it since charging a smartphone on the 200 AH probably doesn't even register on the power in the house batteries, but I still bring it along and use it occasionally.

But it still seems reasonable to carry a portable jump starter around with me, just in case. At least it will save me the trouble of removing the headlight fuse before I tow and then replacing it after we arrive someplace, just in case the strapping that keeps the steering wheel from moving when being towed somehow pushes the headlight arm. Or if I forget to make sure they are off.
Old 12-30-2020, 04:55 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Tie Steeringwheel?

When forward towing a toad with a tow bar, I have always been of the understanding the steering wheel should be unsecured (steering wheels turn to follow tow vehicle) The key lock on the column must be in accessory to prevent steering lock from engaging. When towing from the reverse position ie:wrecker haul, the steering wheel should be secured so wheels track in line with tow.
1953m38a1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 04:56 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

I have a Aickar 1200A Peak 20100mAh, which I purchased about 3 years ago. It has started an 8.3L diesel, Lincoln 3.7L gas, Mercedes 3.6 diesel, several outboard motors, and a number of smaller engines.

NOCO is an excellent brand also. I have used some of their charging products in RVs and Boats.
thataway4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 05:13 PM   #17
Winnebago Watcher

I carry this with us at all times. I've rescued several with dead car batteries. As for starting a diesel engine, have not tried that yet.

HALO Bolt Portable Car Jump Starter 57720 MWH Car Battery Jump Starter with 2 USB Ports To Charge Devices, Portable Car Charger
vista33c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 05:16 PM   #18
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1953m38a1 View Post
When forward towing a toad with a tow bar, I have always been of the understanding the steering wheel should be unsecured (steering wheels turn to follow tow vehicle) The key lock on the column must be in accessory to prevent steering lock from engaging. When towing from the reverse position ie:wrecker haul, the steering wheel should be secured so wheels track in line with tow.
If you are flat-towing, then yes, the steering wheel should be free so the wheels can turn as the RV turns. But in this case the car is being towed on a dolly and this particular dolly requires that the steering wheel be prevented from moving.
Old 12-30-2020, 05:17 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

We have the Audeu 2000A and it has been great. Has started our diesel farm tractor with no problem. Purchased it after seeing a review on YouTube. If you go to YouTube and go to “Project Farm” portable jump starters he has reviewed them all and does go into quite a bit of technical info on them.
NRA Endowment Life Member, FMCA 455593 & WIT 170814
Cover Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 05:17 PM   #20
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by thataway4 View Post
I have a Aickar 1200A Peak 20100mAh, which I purchased about 3 years ago. It has started an 8.3L diesel, Lincoln 3.7L gas, Mercedes 3.6 diesel, several outboard motors, and a number of smaller engines.

NOCO is an excellent brand also. I have used some of their charging products in RVs and Boats.
Thank you for the recommendation. I will look at that model.