Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-31-2020, 02:47 PM   #21
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozon8r View Post
I do wish there was a gauge to monitor the transmission temp which I never found a pid for in the obdii scanner nor on the dash menu.
Transmission temps seem to be secret in OBD2 scanners. I have two for my Chevy truck, one of which has expanded options for GM which gets downloaded, and it still doesn't show transmission temps. But fortunately it is in the display menu, but that makes the absence even odder!
Old 05-31-2020, 03:00 PM   #22
Winnebago Master

Get a Scangauge II, and add/code the (TFT) X-Gauge yourself. They have a number of X-Gauges for several year/make/model of vehicles. It's much easier than rocket science.
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 08:54 AM   #23
Winnebago Camper

Loveland Pass with TOAD operating temps on a hot Colorado day

I want to update the thread with results from driving from Denver (hq) to Dillon Colorado via Loveland Pass towing the Jeep Cherokee and four people with two dogs, two paddle board and two kayaks.

Engine coolant never climbed above 209 degrees F evening on the steepest sections of the route climbing from 5000' to 11,991' (construction traffic diversion over Loveland vs tunnel). The oil temp reached 255 degrees F max, below the red line but higher than running avg I experienced traveling from CO to OK and back. Interestingly, I hit the same temp with the coach empty with just me driving and no significant cargo on the same climb/descent.

The descent handled well under the load using 3/4 gear and periodic tapping the brakes.
Old 06-17-2020, 09:05 AM   #24
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for follow-up info. I have made a trip to central CO 10,100 feet, not loaded as heavy as you, since posting, no temp gauges, no troubles, about 80 degrees outside temp, ignorance is bliss!
Shedboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 09:05 AM   #25
Winnebago Master

Thanks for the update. Did you monitor transmission temps on that climb?
Old 06-17-2020, 09:18 AM   #26
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
I want to update the thread with results from driving from Denver (hq) to Dillon Colorado via Loveland Pass towing the Jeep Cherokee and four people with two dogs, two paddle board and two kayaks.

Engine coolant never climbed above 209 degrees F evening on the steepest sections of the route climbing from 5000' to 11,991' (construction traffic diversion over Loveland vs tunnel). The oil temp reached 255 degrees F max, below the red line but higher than running avg I experienced traveling from CO to OK and back. Interestingly, I hit the same temp with the coach empty with just me driving and no significant cargo on the same climb/descent.

The descent handled well under the load using 3/4 gear and periodic tapping the brakes.
Thanks! Very timely and informative! Towed our Cherokee for the first time yesterday. Saw about the same temps you described (a little lower on the oil temp) climbing steep grades. I declined to bring the kayaks on this trip, otherwise we'd be very similar to your load. In my original post I was really looking for operating ranges for exhaust gas temp and transmission fluid temp. Before this motor home, we pulled a trailer with an old school 7.3 liter diesel pickup and those were the two most critical things to monitor. I'm learning that those may not be as big an issue with newer diesels, but I still monitor them with my ScanGuage anyway.
Hatrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 09:21 AM   #27
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodspike View Post
Thanks for the update. Did you monitor transmission temps on that climb?
Still trying to figure out where the PID is for tranny temp. Your question is a reminder for me to call Winnebago Customer Service to ask where I can find either in the dash menus or elsewhere. Seems the scan gauge may offer access as suggested above.

However, if I can't access with my existing bluetooth OBDII scanner and OBD fusion app, I'm not going to get too worked up about it. With much experience towing in the the Rockies, the tranny temp is one of the measures I watch when towing travel trailers and fifth wheels with both gas and diesel tow vehicles and never had to dig deep into the dash to access. The Sprinter chassis is new to me.
Old 06-17-2020, 09:53 AM   #28
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Still trying to figure out where the PID is for tranny temp. Your question is a reminder for me to call Winnebago Customer Service to ask where I can find either in the dash menus or elsewhere. Seems the scan gauge may offer access as suggested above.

However, if I can't access with my existing bluetooth OBDII scanner and OBD fusion app, I'm not going to get too worked up about it. With much experience towing in the the Rockies, the tranny temp is one of the measures I watch when towing travel trailers and fifth wheels with both gas and diesel tow vehicles and never had to dig deep into the dash to access. The Sprinter chassis is new to me.
Hopefully, Mercedes can give you some insight. As mentioned above, the ScanGuage allows you to "program" it to measure things that Mercedes does not display. As I recall, there are approx three "gauges" you can program to measure exhaust gas at different points in the system. I suspect I picked the hottest as the temperatures I see can get above 1100 degrees F before the turbo gate. Typically runs between 800 and 1000.
Hatrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 10:01 AM   #29
Winnebago Master

I think I mentioned before I can't get a trans temp on my Colorado Duramax with the OBD-II scanners I have, but it is on the dash. Not sure what the issue is with transmissions and OBD-II. One of the scanners I have has specific settings for my truck!

Tags
chassis