Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-22-2018, 06:29 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Seeking Screen Door Suggestions

We are new to the RV world and have just completed our first trip in our first (used) 2014 Itasca Reyo 25T. 5,081 blissful miles and we're still married, whew! We had an absolutely incredible time, enjoyed meeting some wonderful folks. Only trouble encountered was a broken screen door. It's the sliding variety, and it worked very well until it broke. The attach/slide brackets on both the bottom and top came apart in several places. To order new from Winnebago is $564 plus $175 shipping plus a one-month "lead time". Then the repair shop adds $715 labor for a whopping grand total of $1,511. Anyone have a suggestion for a less expensive solution for a good screen door?
bobtym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 09:53 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

The easiest way to save some money is do the install yourself. 5-6 hours of labor to install a screen door is excessive. An alternative is to hire a mobile RV repair person who will be much less per hour than a dealer's shop.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 02:29 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Have you tried figuring out who made the door and contacting them directly? I did a quick Google search and this looks similar to your's. In any case it would be worth contacting them to see what they would charge for the same size as your's. There's no magic to having the exact door as the original:

https://www.plissescreen.com/photo-g...e-screen-door/

I can't imagine that installation is that big of a job. Have you considered a repair job or is it completely trashed?
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 01:45 PM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks Bob C! Brilliant and simple. I think you found my screen manufacturer. And thanks Luvlabs - I’m going to try ordering directly and installing myself. I’ll let you know how it comes out. Really appreciate your help! bobtym
Old 10-26-2018, 11:06 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

I'm glad my search worked. Let us know how it works out.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 12:41 PM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

Bob,
How did this screen door thing workj out for you? We have the same issue.
Thanks
dfrens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 12:42 PM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtym View Post
Thanks Bob C! Brilliant and simple. I think you found my screen manufacturer. And thanks Luvlabs - I’m going to try ordering directly and installing myself. I’ll let you know how it comes out. Really appreciate your help! bobtym
This may be a repeat, sorry. How did replacing the screen doo rgo for you?
Thanks
dfrens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 09:35 AM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

Not so great. It turns out that the Plisse screen door installed in my Reyo was by a European manufacture. The Plisse company in Texas makes a similar but different door and requires completely removing the original, rebuilding one of the entry steps and a lot more work that I was willing to do. Instead I installed one of those “Magic Screens” with Velcro attachments and magnets that hold the two halves together in the middle of the doorway. Nowhere near as good but cheap and easy.
Old 06-16-2020, 09:40 AM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

FYI dfrens - Here is Doug Bennett’s (Plisse Screens) complete reply to me:

If your Reyo has a screen in it from the factory even if it says Plisse on it, it is not ours. We own the trademark for North America but not worldwide. The screen in the Reyo is by some European manufacturer. We have replaced them before, and they do require some spacers for ours to fit. These are not the spacers and adapters I discussed with you last year but are specific to replacing he European Plisse.

There are a couple of things you need to know. First because the bottom rail on our screen sticks up 3/4" the best solution is to remove the floor mat, cut a piece of 3/4" plywood to fit out to where our bottom rail will sit, and then put the mat back. This will effectively raise the step 3/4" and recess our rail so it is not sticking up to trip over. We do not supply the plywood step filler.

The other thing is your opening will have a sort of channel along the right side as seen from inside the RV and a similar channel along the top. Our screen cannot be put into the channel at the top and right side so we will provide a plastic filler that you will need to screw into the channels before installing the screen.

The screen is $269.00. The spacers are $50.00.

What you would need to do is remove the existing screen including a sort of Z shaped sheet metal part from the top of the opening in order to measure. Even though we have made these before I would not assume yours is exactly the same. Measure from the floor up into the channel at the top and from the floor to the inner leg of the channel. On the width I cannot remember if there is a channel on the left as seen from the inside but assuming there is measure from inside it to inside the channel on the right. Also measure from inside the one on the left to the inboard leg of the channel on the right.

With those measurements we can build the unit to fit.

Tags
door, scr