Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-22-2020, 10:09 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

2020 Sprinter Center Stereo Speaker "fix"

Driving back from the dealer I thought my 2020 View with the 10" MBUX system only had an in-dash center speaker - adjusting the balance did nothing that I could perceive. Reading on the Sprinter forum, I found that other folks had noted this issue and were able to disconnect the center speaker and were getting improved sound overall from the door speakers - some were upgrading the in-door speakers and more as well, but I just wanted the separation and some improvement in sound quality, so I tried it and it really does work.

So if anyone is interested:

1. Remove the speaker grille at the center of the dash (it can be pried up with a plastic tool and popped out).

2. Pop out the speaker.

3. Disconnect the BLACK connector only - the white connector is from the SOS and Mercedes Roadside thingees and will still work fine.

4. Pop the speaker back in

5. Pop the grill back on.

6. finished.

I tested it by listening to the radio, pressing the roadside assistance button, and did make an SOS call (the light was flashing and roadside said to push the button to make it stop - it didn't, but at least I now know that the functions all work).

Pictures:
Attached Files
File Type: pdf CenterSpeakerDIsconnect.pdf (116.6 KB, 1683 views)
Dave-Oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 09:34 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

So does this mean you simply crank up the volume and the door speakers are now audible? How is this working with things like Bluetooth calls?
Al Humboldt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 06:36 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Humboldt View Post
So does this mean you simply crank up the volume and the door speakers are now audible? How is this working with things like Bluetooth calls?
You don't really have to "crank up the volume", actually. The center speaker is overpowering the other two because it is close to head level and bounces the sound off of the glass directly at you that you don't really hear the separation from the others.

One guy on the Sprinter forum actually installed a potentiometer on the center speaker so he could control the volume or turn it off. I was considering this, but I don't really want to do wire fishing.

bottom line: If you want some stereo separation and a better sound, just disconnect the center speaker. Works fine. If you don't like it, reconnect it. You don't have to mess with the wiring or cut anything and it's easily reversible.

best,

Dave-Oh
Old 11-10-2020, 08:38 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Disabling the center speaker is an improvement.

But, we can't expect much out of the Sprinter audio system - it can't compare to the multiple speakers and surround sound available in many passenger vehicles...

And that's OK for us - as long as we can listen to the audio we want - either through the MBUX system or via Android Auto, it's good enough for the drives...

Quality of the cab audio wasn't a factor in our decision process on purchasing our View.

Instead - we focused more on how we use the View when it is parked, which is why we added wifi and cell phone boosters and a 4K smart TV...
rprochnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 11:32 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I agree disconnecting the center speaker is an improvement. I also agree that the cab sound system is not the primary reason we bought a View. There are certainly better speakers, subwoofer additions, etc, you can do, but for us, the disconnected center speaker is enough.

Enjoy and customize or not! the View is a nice platform.

best,

Dave-Oh
Old 11-16-2020, 06:05 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Well.....it works. Sounds much better. It’s obviously not a premium sound system but without the center channel it actually sounds like a stereo system now. What an easy fix.
Al Humboldt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 01:33 PM   #7

I'm sure it's simple, but I can't figure out how to disconnect the speaker wire connector. What's the trick?
BadMed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 02:40 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadMed View Post
I'm sure it's simple, but I can't figure out how to disconnect the speaker wire connector. What's the trick?
The black plug just has to be squeezed - there's an area that gets pushed down to "unlock" the plug from the slot. Squeeze the outside of the plug and pull it. Should come right out.
Old 04-08-2021, 01:05 AM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

Does anyone know the size of the center speaker?
Lillkacken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 01:31 PM   #10
Winnebago Watcher

Smile It worked!

Thank you thank you thank you. I have a 2022 Navion with their fancy MBUX system that sounded like a 1950s Edsel. Mercedes support was either nonexistent or useless, The dealer didn’t know what to do, and I couldn’t reach anybody at Mercedes who knew anything. I could barely reach them at all and considering the expense of their vehicles do you think their support would be better. I’m a musician and audiophile and the sound was driving me nuts. Now it sounds just fine. I might upgrade the speakers at some point at least it sounds like a real stereo now.
Olycoley is offline   Reply With Quote