Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Towing, Hitching and Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-11-2024, 06:38 AM   #1
RV-weyst1

Dual Receiver Hitch Safety

I have 2019 Fuse 23F on a 2018 Ford 350HD Transit Chassis. Currently flat tow a two door Wrangler with a Blue Ox tow package. I am considering buying a dual hitch receiver for the RV to accommodate a bike rack or other accessories. Besides the tongue weight, are there any other concerns I should be aware of?
Rverweyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2024, 08:16 AM   #2
Site Team

One thing I found when I tried this is that when the bike rack on the top hitch was loaded with bikes it was very difficult (VERY!) to access the lower attached baseplate. In fact, after one trip we stopped using that dual receiver.
Old 05-11-2024, 03:06 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

IMO it is easier to install a hitch on the towed vehicle and haul the bikes there. This way when your MH is parked and you want to explore the area, you can take the bikes along.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2024, 03:20 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
IMO it is easier to install a hitch on the towed vehicle and haul the bikes there. This way when your MH is parked and you want to explore the area, you can take the bikes along.
That's what I do... BUT you have to get a specially enginered bike rack that is approved for mounting on a Toad. Most bike racks prohibit use on a Toad. So choose carefully.

It is a legit concern The movement and forces on the back end of a Toad are vastly different from those on that back of that same vehicle being driving down the road.

eTrailer's bike rack section shows racks that are approved for use on a Toad vehicle.
Old 05-16-2024, 09:28 AM   #5
CZBB RV6A 2008 29R Sight

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
It is a legit concern The movement and forces on the back end of a Toad are vastly different from those on that back of that same vehicle being driving down the road.

Interesting. I was following one the other day and thought the Jeep looked pretty smooth being towed. What extra forces might there be? I mean, I run down rough roads with the bikes on the back. Should I be looking for a 4x4 Ike rack? I’m being facetious but it’s a logical line of thought.
7997redtail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2024, 09:35 AM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7997redtail View Post
Interesting. I was following one the other day and thought the Jeep looked pretty smooth being towed. What extra forces might there be?
According to the manufacturers of bike racks, the motion on the rear bumper of a towed car behind an RV is subject to greater sudden left/right and up/down movement than is seen on a driven car with the same rack attached.

This leads to bikes hung off of the back of a toad to stress uprights and hangers much more dramatically, leading to weld and metal failures.

It's very similar on the back of a travel trailer bumper as well.
Old 05-16-2024, 04:35 PM   #7
RV-weyst1

Thank you all for the responses. You have given me the kind of feedback I would not have considered. @creativepart, you mentioned a specially engineered bike rack for the toad, do you have a recommendation by chance?
Rverweyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2024, 06:55 PM   #8
Site Team

I have an older bike rack that happened to be OK for use on the back of a toad.

But really, you should look at bike racks on eTrailer and look at the various ratings for each rack.

Here's one like I use:

https://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Bike-...man/S94FR.html

When you scroll down you'll see the various ratings:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2024-05-16 at 7.54.55 PM.png
Views:	5
Size:	158.1 KB
ID:	188970