Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-31-2024, 04:47 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

2023 View 24D Service “A” notice at 2000 miles?

New to me 2023 View 24D came with the notice "Service A overdue by 63 days". The chassis has 2015 miles on the odometer. It also seems premature based on the age as a 2023. Any ideas, or do I need to perform the service? My last Sprinter asked for the A service almost right at 10,000 miles, and 4 years later it wanted the B at 14,000 miles.
Riverbend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2024, 05:45 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

The A service should be around 9k.. I would check the owners manual to be sure. BTW, I feel oil is cheep compared to engine work so I change the oil at every 5K with the exception of one trip that was 8500 miles. If you are not going to an MB shop make sure whoever you do go to uses the MB approved oil.
Sparky19053 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2024, 06:23 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Thanks, and I've used a MB authorized shop and will continue to do so, and they follow all MB protocols. Really can't find anything telling me why it's calling for it so soon. Nothing in the manual relates to this.
Old 01-31-2024, 08:01 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

I've not looked at the MB manual but for the cars I've had the manual has always spelled out what the different levels like service "A" involve.
Does your manual give that info and what does it say "A" requires?
I never like to depend on the shop to tell me what is actually needed as I have had such terrible experience with cheats!

I have also met so many scams in the auto business that I rarely go for work without knowing for sure why we are needing it!

This may be a case of being a service which has time as well as mileage involved, so I would check that. Oil is often an "A' service and it should be done yearly, so does that fit when the chassis was put in service?
For other than MB, I might lean toward getting an oil change, just to "reset" and establish that I know the oil was done right. Engine expense is not one I push too far to avoid the price of the normal oil change!
I'll pay $50 to buy some idea that I'm not going to damage the engine. Cost/benefit judgement?
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 03:28 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I'm going to call and schedule service just to cross it off the list, even though an oil change on a diesel with 2015 miles on it since purchased new on 9/22 seems pretty early.
I also can't find any correlation between the service warning and a mysterious beep coming from the dash every 50 seconds with the engine off. The owner's manual is also pretty vague on several things, and it's not exactly what I would call light reading.
Old 02-01-2024, 05:20 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverbend View Post
I'm going to call and schedule service just to cross it off the list, even though an oil change on a diesel with 2015 miles on it since purchased new on 9/22 seems pretty early.
I also can't find any correlation between the service warning and a mysterious beep coming from the dash every 50 seconds with the engine off. The owner's manual is also pretty vague on several things, and it's not exactly what I would call light reading.
Changing the oil now will certainly give you some peace of mind. A late '22 purchase is over a year old now.

And having them check out the beep from the dash is a good idea; no idea what that might be. Please let us know what you discover.

Oh, and boy are you ever right about the owner's manual! Gives me a headache whenever I try to figure out what it's saying...

Mickey
MRichaud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 05:30 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

The head of service just emailed me and suggested waiting until 4000 miles and resetting the monitor. Gotta love it when they aren't trying to upsell, and I really like these guys that have serviced our previous Sprinter. I might just have it done for, as you said, peace of mind.
Old 02-01-2024, 05:37 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Sounds like you've a keeper for service!
Old 02-01-2024, 07:30 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

The monitor is both time and mileage based so whichever comes first will trigger it. I don't pay any attention whatsoever to it and I reset it whenever it comes on, it's way out of sync and has no clue as to what's been done and what's needed. Instead I use a log book and record/keep track of everything that way.

On your newer model you probably also have an oil quality monitor but if you follow a conservative maintenance program you will probably never see that warning pop up. By conservative I don't mean the 20,000 mile interval, that's way too long for a hard working RV IMHO. I try to shoot for around 6,000-7,000 miles.
Old 02-01-2024, 12:57 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Might've solved the beeping, and it appears to be related to low voltage house batteries, and not in any way related to the service message. In and of itself, that's actually sort of a relief. The house batteries are toast, it seems, and I'd already ordered an Epoch 300Ah yesterday.
Old 02-01-2024, 01:08 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for letting us know!
Old 02-07-2024, 05:31 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

It matters what year your chassis is. Service A on my 2020 chassis is 20K miles or 2 years. I believe the interval is adjustable via computer but is your chassis 2 years old? It's possible it's been sitting at Winnebago for a while.

I agree it's still premature, but that's how I'd start to look at it.
NavOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2024, 05:57 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavOwner View Post
It matters what year your chassis is. Service A on my 2020 chassis is 20K miles or 2 years. I believe the interval is adjustable via computer but is your chassis 2 years old? It's possible it's been sitting at Winnebago for a while.

I agree it's still premature, but that's how I'd start to look at it.
It was purchased 9/22 as a 2023. Chassis is a '22 so it's definitely a time issue.
Old 02-07-2024, 06:05 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

It was probably not set correctly. The VS30 chassis requires service every 20K miles. I have a 2020 chassis with 46K miles, so it has A at 20K and B at 44K (I was on a trip). I wouldn't worry much but if you are going to worry, take it in and ask the MB dealer to reset it, correctly.
NavOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2024, 03:23 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavOwner View Post
It was probably not set correctly. The VS30 chassis requires service every 20K miles. I have a 2020 chassis with 46K miles, so it has A at 20K and B at 44K (I was on a trip). I wouldn't worry much but if you are going to worry, take it in and ask the MB dealer to reset it, correctly.
If I'm ever near one I might, and that's if there aren't $100 bills attached to the reset. There's isn't one within 100 miles of home. For now, I can ignore it but will probably have the A service done this spring.
Old 02-08-2024, 08:18 AM   #16
Site Team

I suggest that you post your problem at the Sprinter-Source’s RV forum:
https://sprinter-source.com/forums/index.php?forums/5/
Old 02-08-2024, 08:31 AM   #17
Winnebago Master

While Mercedes does say 20,000 miles (they even upped some of the older 10,000 mile OCIs to 20,000 miles as part of the EPA emissions cheating settlement) there is mention of "arduous service" where 20,000 is too long. Interpret it how you like but to me dragging a motorhome around at or over GVWR with a 3 liter turbodiesel (2l on the new ones) constitutes "arduous service" and there is no way I would go 20,000 miles between oil changes. You will find most on the Sprinter forum in agreement with that. Send a sample to the lab if in doubt. There is more than a suspicion that the long interval is driven by sales efforts, and by the EPA (why did they raise the OCI on older models from 10K to 20K as part of the settlement?). You could choose to never change the oil and the engine would not fail within the warranty period, within the warranty period being key here. These engines work very hard, and the oil easily reaches over 260F at times (climbing).

It's a pretty expensive engine to gamble a few oil changes with, $20K last I heard.
Old 02-08-2024, 09:17 AM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigb View Post
While Mercedes does say 20,000 miles (they even upped some of the older 10,000 mile OCIs to 20,000 miles as part of the EPA emissions cheating settlement) there is mention of "arduous service" where 20,000 is too long. Interpret it how you like but to me dragging a motorhome around at or over GVWR with a 3 liter turbodiesel (2l on the new ones) constitutes "arduous service" and there is no way I would go 20,000 miles between oil changes. You will find most on the Sprinter forum in agreement with that. Send a sample to the lab if in doubt. There is more than a suspicion that the long interval is driven by sales efforts, and by the EPA (why did they raise the OCI on older models from 10K to 20K as part of the settlement?). You could choose to never change the oil and the engine would not fail within the warranty period, within the warranty period being key here. These engines work very hard, and the oil easily reaches over 260F at times (climbing).

It's a pretty expensive engine to gamble a few oil changes with, $20K last I heard.
I have never waited too long on service, especially oil. It's the lifeblood to a working engine. The discussion here originated with my odometer at 2015 miles and calling for A service. I was also told by my service facility that waiting a bit would not be a negative, and we decided 4000 miles might be a good time to do the service. I can live with the dash reminder as long as there is no disabling involved, as with other issues on the MB chassis.
Old 02-08-2024, 09:20 AM   #19
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverbend View Post
I have never waited too long on service, especially oil. It's the lifeblood to a working engine. The discussion here originated with my odometer at 2015 miles and calling for A service. I was also told by my service facility that waiting a bit would not be a negative, and we decided 4000 miles might be a good time to do the service. I can live with the dash reminder as long as there is no disabling involved, as with other issues on the MB chassis.
I know you aren't going to go 20K, I was more responding to Navowner's advice but I forgot to use the Quote reply feature.
Old 02-08-2024, 10:54 AM   #20
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigb View Post
The monitor is both time and mileage based so whichever comes first will trigger it. I don't pay any attention whatsoever to it and I reset it whenever it comes on, it's way out of sync and has no clue as to what's been done and what's needed. Instead I use a log book and record/keep track of everything that way.

On your newer model you probably also have an oil quality monitor but if you follow a conservative maintenance program you will probably never see that warning pop up. By conservative I don't mean the 20,000 mile interval, that's way too long for a hard working RV IMHO. I try to shoot for around 6,000-7,000 miles.
I'll do the first one on this View at 4,000 miles, and as agreed by the service manager at the facility I use. After that, I might go 10,000 miles, but it's also dependent on time and conditions. Oil changes are cheap compared to the alternative.

Tags
service, view