Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-30-2021, 07:48 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Leak in 2020 Minnie Winnie 31H

I have a 2020 31H. Noticed that the cushion in the over the cab bunk had water stains. Pulled the cushion out and parked the Winnie downhill in the rain last night and got some water in the front of the bunk area. So have some sealing to do. Attached is a pic of the factory seal on the corner where the water is accumulating. Front cap to roof. Per the Winnebago call out sheet Nuco 311 is the product to use here. If I can find it.

Several questions:
Does this pic show a bad seal? I ask this because of how new the unit is.
This mh has a full body paint and obviously they painted over the original seal. To repair should I pile sealant on top of the original seal even though it’s painted. Or do I need to strip the original sealant?
Is there a reason why the factory stops the sealant before the edge rather that filling it to the edge.

Thanks for any help.
Jerry
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C92CA214-5B3E-4469-B117-D29B5D5DA5A9.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	303.3 KB
ID:	181205  
fillinjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 10:41 PM   #2
Site Team

Hi Jerry,
My 2019 22M Minnie Winnie is the Polar White (not painted) body color, and my roof sealants are definitely not painted. I don't know if I'm seeing cracked paint on top of your sealant, or if it is cracked all the way through. The black sealant looks to me to be added.
My guess (and I have not needed to do this) would be to remove both the painted over sealant and the black sealant, which I'm guessing is Silicone Sealer. I would then apply the Winnebago-specified sealant.
I would be nice if somebody who has actual experience with this could chime-in too.
Eagle5
Old 10-31-2021, 07:21 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the reply!

My unqualified thought was the cracks in the paint are superficial because the paint is not flexible on top of the sealant.

Better pics:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2B9F9F36-42A4-443D-9641-E572300C3E54.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	371.6 KB
ID:	181206   Click image for larger version

Name:	D7992FA1-5172-4CCF-913F-1843D9D0FDED.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	328.4 KB
ID:	181207  

Old 10-31-2021, 09:04 AM   #4
Site Team

Hi again Jerry,
The Sealant Callout Sheet for the 2020 31H shows Sealant B, which is Winnebago Part #329294-01-CHT. I cannot see any other sealant callout for your roof. The roof sealant on my 2019 22M is different. Again, hopefully somebody who has better knowledge can help out here.
Eagle5
P.S. All sorts of manuals and diagrams for Winnebago are found here.
Old 10-31-2021, 07:42 PM   #5
Site Team

I'm trying to learn a little more about this myself. The video below seems reasonable as a general overview. It seems that you need specific guidance from your Winnebago dealer, because you have paint on top of sealant, so I assume the sealant must all be removed and replaced. Winnebago should have a recommendation of what cleaner to use before applying sealant.
Thanks, Eagle5
Old 11-07-2021, 04:49 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Roof leaks

Quote:
Originally Posted by fillinjc View Post
I have a 2020 31H. Noticed that the cushion in the over the cab bunk had water stains. Pulled the cushion out and parked the Winnie downhill in the rain last night and got some water in the front of the bunk area. So have some sealing to do. Attached is a pic of the factory seal on the corner where the water is accumulating. Front cap to roof. Per the Winnebago call out sheet Nuco 311 is the product to use here. If I can find it.

Several questions:
Does this pic show a bad seal? I ask this because of how new the unit is.
This mh has a full body paint and obviously they painted over the original seal. To repair should I pile sealant on top of the original seal even though it’s painted. Or do I need to strip the original sealant?
Is there a reason why the factory stops the sealant before the edge rather that filling it to the edge.

Thanks for any help.
Jerry
I have a 2018 31G gel coat no paint . I don't know where the area picture is . I did have a leak on the rear cap and I thought it was the window. A friend who work camps told me he suspected the clearance lights although the water was coming in at the rear window. He was correct. I re sealed all the clearance lights. As for roof sealant I prefer Decor.
68SILVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 08:03 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the reply. This is the front cap to roof seam. I actually thought about the clearance lights as being a source. I popped the lenses off and looked at them and they seemed well sealed. Since I am unsure of the source of the leak and quite a bit of water has gotten in, I have contacted my dealer. They are checking with Winnebago since it is just months out of warranty.
Old 11-08-2021, 05:36 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Water leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by fillinjc View Post
Thanks for the reply. This is the front cap to roof seam. I actually thought about the clearance lights as being a source. I popped the lenses off and looked at them and they seemed well sealed. Since I am unsure of the source of the leak and quite a bit of water has gotten in, I have contacted my dealer. They are checking with Winnebago since it is just months out of warranty.
I found no evidence of leaking around the lights but run a small bead of clear silicone around top and sides of lights and the leak stopped. If you do this don't deal the bottom of the light.
68SILVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 07:41 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Although it looks bad, there's also a layer of sealant between the cap and the roof that you can't see. It could, however be bad. Cover the suspect area with Gorilla tape or weather resistant aluminum foil tape and see if that fixes the leak. If it doesn't fix it you need to look elsewhere and try the temporary tape fix again.

The trick is to test one area at a time with this method. Don't leave the tape on too long or it will be difficult to remove and clean up the residue. I've found the aluminum foil tape's residue is easier to remove but it tears easily when pushed into the nooks and crannies.

If sealing the front cap with tape doesn't fix it, I'd try the same with the clearance lights. I'm not sure a visual inspection is enough.

Once you find the leak, remove the tape and seal it properly with Winnebago's recommended sealant.

Note that the previously posted video relates to RVs with rubber roofs and not Winnebago's fiberglass roofs. Winnebago publishes info on their recommended sealants here:

In addition to the sealant call out sheet mentioned by Eagle5, there's more info here: https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...t%20Sheets.pdf

Here are some videos relevant to Winnebagos:

You can usually cross-reference Winnebago's part numbers to name brand sealants available on Amazon and other sources but I couldn't find a match for your Sealant B (329294-01-CHT).

Good luck and keep us posted.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak