Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-01-2020, 07:16 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Comments on New Ford 7.3L V8

Hi Group, I want a 2021 MW 22M bad but they are coming in with the new Ford 7.3L V8. That engine has been available in pickups for months now but AFAIK its new to class Cs. I am struggling with buying one now or giving the new setup a year to work out any bugs and buying one next year. I really don't want to wait - I'm not getting any younger, but I don't want it setting at some Ford dealer either. Comments please.
RVRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 09:00 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVRich View Post
Hi Group, I want a 2021 MW 22M bad but they are coming in with the new Ford 7.3L V8. That engine has been available in pickups for months now but AFAIK its new to class Cs. I am struggling with buying one now or giving the new setup a year to work out any bugs and buying one next year. I really don't want to wait - I'm not getting any younger, but I don't want it setting at some Ford dealer either. Comments please.
Grow up, put on your big boy pants, and buy one. Don't agonize over the engine. How bad can it be? They've been making V8s forever?
Personally, I have no idea why you "want one bad", but that's not my problem.
Bonne chance avec cela...
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 09:40 PM   #3
Site Team

Hi RVRich,
I would recommend that you factory-order your 22M sometime in November. I believe you can get a better price then, and you can also get the E-450 frame. Ford has been doing a very good job lately with their new engine introductions, so I bet it will be fine.
Let us know how it goes, OK?
Thanks, Eagle5
Old 10-02-2020, 12:28 AM   #4
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbagoal View Post
Grow up, put on your big boy pants, and buy one. Don't agonize over the engine. How bad can it be? They've been making V8s forever?
Personally, I have no idea why you "want one bad", but that's not my problem.
Bonne chance avec cela...
I love that. “How bad could it be?” every time I think of that I make a list of how bad it could be—the list usually gets pretty darn long.

Wow. Is the new Ford engine the SAME ONE that you say has been used for years? I know Ford’s been making a V-8’s for years— I have one in my 1996 bronco. It’s quite the workhorse, but is that anything like the V8 that they’re putting into RVs? I think not—I hope not. I hope there’s been some advances in the last 24 years.

I don’t know the answer to those questions, perhaps you do. I know they’re coming out with a new bronco next year with a whole new engine and I’m reticent to move forward and replace my 1996 bronco because the first year anything comes out is probably the worst year to buy it, in my personal experience.
Old 10-02-2020, 05:10 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

The new engine has been on the market for about a year now in commercial trucks. The only problems that I am aware that have been reported are the spark plug wires. These have failed in a number of new V8s and were in short supply due to supplier manufacturing problems. I suspect these have been worked out by now.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 06:25 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
I love that. “How bad could it be?” every time I think of that I make a list of how bad it could be—the list usually gets pretty darn long.

Wow. Is the new Ford engine the SAME ONE that you say has been used for years? I know Ford’s been making a V-8’s for years— I have one in my 1996 bronco. It’s quite the workhorse, but is that anything like the V8 that they’re putting into RVs? I think not—I hope not. I hope there’s been some advances in the last 24 years.

I don’t know the answer to those questions, perhaps you do. I know they’re coming out with a new bronco next year with a whole new engine and I’m reticent to move forward and replace my 1996 bronco because the first year anything comes out is probably the worst year to buy it, in my personal experience.
I said "They've been making V8s forever" which they have. Like the one in your Bronco. The first year stories are not as common as they used to be in the last century, and most of them were covered by recalls. I meant don't be so paranoid, and go buy one, if it's what "you want bad" was my point. Don't procrastinate, life's too short, so get out there and "git er done".
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 07:05 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

About 1 week after purchasing our trailer I traded a Nissan Titan XD with the 5.0L Diesel for an F250 with the 7.3 Gas jobber and I have no regrets. Simplicity is the king. This new engine will replace not only the V10 in ford chassis but I believe also the 6.2L. All the research I've done points to it being a pretty rock solid offering. They are confident enough to replace the TT&T V10 in commercial offerings so I would assume they are confident its a better engine. They didn't have to build this engine and put it in HD and commercial chassis since there was really no need to make it more efficient, commercial vehicles are under a different set of efficiency rules dont forget. So I assume they made the change because they are sure this is a better engine in all regards. I'm posting horrible fuel mileage (compared to a diesel 3/4ton) but I am pretty certain this engine is going to run for a LONG time. Get out there and buy one!
Old 10-02-2020, 07:35 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

WOW -0 - 430 HP and 475 #Torque with a 10 speed trans? Would I love to have that in my Class C E/450!
DesertRatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 07:42 AM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRatt View Post
WOW -0 - 430 HP and 475 #Torque with a 10 speed trans? Would I love to have that in my Class C E/450!
The 2021 Class Cs so far are equipped with the six speed not the 10 speed transmission. Apparently the reasoning is with a heavily loaded chassis the higher gears would never get used anyway. Unlike a pickup which may be driven lightly loaded.
RVRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 08:23 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
The 2021 Class Cs so far are equipped with the six speed not the 10 speed transmission. Apparently the reasoning is with a heavily loaded chassis the higher gears would never get used anyway. Unlike a pickup which may be driven lightly loaded.
Kinda makes sense to stick with the 6 speed when you phrase it like that.
Old 10-02-2020, 10:30 AM   #11
Site Team

Hi Walkthisway,
Sorry, but I have to ask: Are you a Mel Brooks fan too?
Ha-ha-ha.
Eagle5
Old 10-02-2020, 10:33 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Whos isn't a fan!? I mean my name was not intentionally a Mel Brooks Line but I guess I'll take it.
Old 10-02-2020, 10:36 AM   #13
Site Team

Old 10-03-2020, 01:48 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Why not locate a 2018 or 2019 used 22M somewhere in the U.S.? Look for one built on the optional E450 chassis ... and of course it'll have the ultra-reliable V10 engine that can be maintained and repaired anywhere. If you're willing to buy one new, then you're probably open to paying top dollar for a late model used 22M in excellent condition - and then maybe even fly somewhere to close the deal and drive it home.

I agree with you 100% on wanting "everything" in and on one's RV as break-down-proof as absolutely possible day-in day-out. We have had two major problems (not it's V10 engine) with our Class C occur thousands of miles from home ... and it's no fun. Especially where there's poor phone service or when you're out in the middle of nowhere with your RV. Also, reliability is not always related to how well your maintaining your RV. Sometimes it's related to it's as-built design and construction based on the manufacturer's cycles of learning.

By the way, we love our older non-slide Itasca 24V on it's E450 V10 chassis ... which is very similar to the current non-slide 22R model. However, the 22M model does have larger black and grey water tanks than the 22R model.
Phil G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 09:39 PM   #15
Winnebago Watcher

I agree. Put on your big boy pants. Anything mechanical made by man can have issues. I would buy one in a heart beat
P2smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 12:00 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

The 7.3L V8 is a good solution to give more torque, power and agility for a good price. The layout of Ford's new E-Series and F-53 drivetrain is much more modern than the old sluggish Triton V10 construction.

For RVs the E-Series and F-53 chassis come together with the 6-speed automatic gearbox (introduced 2016) and not with the 10-speed automatic gearbox which you can find in the different Ford F-Series and much lighter vehicles like a Cadillac Escalade (the 10-speed gearbox is a joint-venture between Ford and GM). Ok, we can discuss this endlessly because several people tow a fifth-wheel with a F-350 7.3LV8 and 10-speed-gearbox layout. I guess it's a question of price, as well as there won't be a big difference in terms of fuel consumption. The 6-speed works very well and in comparison with the pre-2016-5-speed-gearbox you don't miss a better transmission.

In the new 7.3L V8 cab you find several "new stuff" and security features like the new navigation system, adaptive cruise control, forward breaking, tire pressure monitoring etc..

Testing the 7.3L V8 in a Class A, I felt the big difference especially on windy roads up in the rockies. You have much more power, the engine responds much better. Even there is no significant better mileage over all (ok let it say this way: you will get 7-9mpg instead of 5-8mpg) but the new engine is no more "loud and hard work" to climb up passes.

The 7.3L V8 engine itself is not as "high sofisticated" as one might expect (with a supercharged engine, multi-valve technology, etc.) but the direct injection and the greater agility of the engine already bring a lot, also in terms of environmental regulations and all that for a good price (just compare it to a Mercedes Sprinter chassis). Of course, the same agility, lower fuel consumption and even more power would probably have been achieved with a 4.2L V8 32-valve-biturbo engine, but that would have been much more expensive than the 7.3L V8.

Test the new V8, I'm sure you won't go back to the old V10.
cj_calva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 08:53 AM   #17
RVCalypso

When we bought our 2016 Minnie Winnie last December my DW said to the dealer "this will be our last motorhome." I replied "no in about 3 years we will buy a used one with the Ford 7.2L engine." Why 3 years? So that someone else can take rhe depreciation hit.
gurroz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 05:49 PM   #18
Winnebago Watcher

I ordered a 2022 Minnie Winnie 22M with the 7.3L V8. The engine is solid iron instead of aluminum and built simple like a small block Chevy. Only one camshaft.

https://www.steeda.com/ford-godzilla-engine
scosworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 08:21 PM   #19
Site Team

Hi Scosworth,
The 22M is the best, and the Godzilla makes the 22M even better! That is a great article which you referenced. Winnebago says the Godzilla in the motorhome application only produces 350 horsepower (which is 45 more horsepower than my V-10.) I suspect the Godzilla is de-tuned from 430 horsepower for heat considerations. Trapped in a small dog house (rather than under the hood of a standard truck) it must be that the exhaust manifold would get too hot under full load for a sustained period. Still, you will find that 350 horsepower will be more than enough.
How long is your wait for delivery?
Welcome to the forum.
Eagle5
Old 11-05-2021, 02:19 PM   #20
Winnebago Watcher

Our delivery date is somewhere next spring. That could be somewhere from March to May. Hopefully no later than May!
scosworth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford