Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-25-2024, 10:20 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Is Cargo Carrying Weight a Problem for Navion/View?

Seriously considering one for retirement so we can go places a Class A may have issues. Everyone talks about low weight limit

This weekend I took out the clothes I would take (no more suits yay) - enough to last 2 weeks between laundry trips. 27 pounds.

For those of you staying on extended trips/fulltiming - is weight really an issue for you?

Thanks!
Oz-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 05:48 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oz-Man View Post
Seriously considering one for retirement so we can go places a Class A may have issues. Everyone talks about low weight limit

This weekend I took out the clothes I would take (no more suits yay) - enough to last 2 weeks between laundry trips. 27 pounds.

For those of you staying on extended trips/fulltiming - is weight really an issue for you?

Thanks!
And food, and water, and tools, and spares. and dishes, and crap you didn't know your wife put in there.

True story... A buddy of mine had a 31' Airstream, he felt it was towing "heavy" so he ran it across a set of scales and came back with a weight ticket showing him 300# over GVW. So he starts taking things out of it to see what the problem is. There was enough china, silverware, and cookware to outfit an expedition to the South Pole. There were place settings for 12 in at least two different china patterns, not to mention extra bits and pieces. After the pare down he reweighed and came in over 500# under GVW. It turns out that every time his wife cleared out a cabinet in the house it went into the Airstream. He swore he was going to make her empty her pockets and put a scale in front of the door for every time she went in.

I have had a few small TTs over the years where a full water tank would put you over the GVW, without any other items on board.

Plan carefully and it might be possible, just don't collect rocks like Lucy in The Long, Long Trailer.

FWIW every current RV has a yellow tag that calls out the CCC of that specific unit.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 06:06 PM   #3
Living The Dream

We’ve had three View/Navion rigs, currently a 2018 24D. With knowledge of the weight limits, it is standard practice for us to get scale readings periodically, probably once every year or two. This is done when we are loaded for extended travel, motorhome and toad. We have not found that being overweight/over limits is a problem.
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 12:47 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
And food, and water, and tools, and spares. and dishes, and crap you didn't know your wife put in there.

True story... A buddy of mine had a 31' Airstream, he felt it was towing "heavy" so he ran it across a set of scales and came back with a weight ticket showing him 300# over GVW. So he starts taking things out of it to see what the problem is. There was enough china, silverware, and cookware to outfit an expedition to the South Pole. There were place settings for 12 in at least two different china patterns, not to mention extra bits and pieces. After the pare down he reweighed and came in over 500# under GVW. It turns out that every time his wife cleared out a cabinet in the house it went into the Airstream. He swore he was going to make her empty her pockets and put a scale in front of the door for every time she went in.

I have had a few small TTs over the years where a full water tank would put you over the GVW, without any other items on board.

Plan carefully and it might be possible, just don't collect rocks like Lucy in The Long, Long Trailer.

FWIW every current RV has a yellow tag that calls out the CCC of that specific unit.

Aaron
THAT is hilarious!
Old 03-27-2024, 05:58 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Weight distribution can also be an issue and can affect handling (especially a too light front end) so getting axle weights is a good idea.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 06:52 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Can you get axle weights at a standard highway truck scales that I see? Good idea, or letting them know you are overweight a problem?
Thx! Bill
Wmlunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 07:51 AM   #7
Living The Dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmlunt View Post
Can you get axle weights at a standard highway truck scales that I see? Good idea, or letting them know you are overweight a problem?
Thx! Bill
I like the CAT Scales that are at many of the larger truck stops. Those are normally in good condition and are likely to be calibrated regularly. No need to alert them of anything before you pull onto the scale (you won’t weigh anything near what an 18 wheeler weighs).

Typically I simply roll up onto a vacant scale and press a talk button. I’m sure to place my rig so I will get separate weights for front axle and rear axle. We have a toad, so I carefully place everything so I also get a gross weight for it, too. What I want are three distinctive weights … front axle motorhome, back axle motorhome, toad. Once I’m happy with my placement, I tell whoever is on the squawk box I’m ready, then I’ll get confirmation from them the weights have been recorded. Then I go the checkout counter, pay (usually $10) and get a nice printed scale readout.

My only complaint about the process … the squawk boxes are placed high for truckers (of course) and are difficult to hear (for my poor old ears).

What would be even better than the process I’ve explained above would be to get specific corner weights for your motorhome, like left front .. right front .. left rear .. right rear. That would allow you to properly redistribute any load variance. I’ve only done that once, a scale the Tiffin Factory uses in Red Bay, AL. Truck stop scales (that I’ve found) aren’t set up for individual corner weights. Darn.

By the way (weigh? Ha .. pun) actual scale weights are very useful for calculating proper tire pressure scenarios. That can be done by utilizing tire manufacturer published guidelines for your specific tire and load.

Hope this helps.
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 07:53 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Thx! Bill
If you use the CAT scales nobody knows your weights but you. Only takes a few minutes with the CAT app, or just walk inside and pay.
Old 03-28-2024, 08:42 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Check this out: https://www.rvtiresafety.net/search/label/Weight

This is by Roger Marble, a retired tire engineer who's also a Winnieowner under the name Tireman9: https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...an9-44688.html

Once you have the weights, there's info on determining the optimum inflation for each axle given the weight if you want to fine-tune your inflation for optimum handling:

https://www.rvtiresafety.net/search/label/Inflation
Old 03-28-2024, 09:46 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Thx! Bill
Weigh stations are a no-go if they are open. However, some leave the scales on and you can go in when they are closed and get your weights.

I typically use my county dump scales, as a taxpayer they don't care. I put the front wheels on the scales and note the weight, then pull the rig up and get the total weight. Subtract front from rear and away we go.

Four corners is the best way to do it, however that takes specialty scales. I have seen it done at multiple rallies and some factories and service centers can do it too. I have used race car corner scales for my smaller rigs over the years.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 07:59 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for Al the great info and suggestions guys! Very helpful!
I am a bit nervous of loading too much weight in the passthru, but there is not that much room in the micro minnie.
Heavier items like Honda 2200 Jenny may have to go in the tow vehicle (converted to propane so shouldn’t smell).
Anyone know if I can estimate tongue and wheel weight by ratioing the distance of the load to wheel and hitch ball?
That way I could get a dry weight before I leave the dealer then add cargo with some estimates. WDH makes all that NOT work though I guess…
Wmlunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 03:13 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeTheUSA View Post
By the way (weigh? Ha .. pun) actual scale weights are very useful for calculating proper tire pressure scenarios. That can be done by utilizing tire manufacturer published guidelines for your specific tire and load.

Hope this helps.
I see what you did there............good insight, thanks!
Old 04-01-2024, 11:19 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

As an update, after weighing my clothes at 27 pounds, I weighed everything in our current coach and that totaled up to 100 pounds - dishes, utensils, pots, pans, DVDs, books, etc.

So, given 127 pounds, plus wife's clothes and 100 pounds for food, I think we would be good. Although - when we go on vacay wife gets extra large suitcase so maybe there is still cause for concern lol.
Old 04-01-2024, 11:28 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

Quote:
As an update, after weighing my clothes at 27 pounds, I weighed everything in our current coach and that totaled up to 100 pounds - dishes, utensils, pots, pans, DVDs, books, etc.

So, given 127 pounds, plus wife's clothes and 100 pounds for food, I think we would be good. Although - when we go on vacay wife gets extra large suitcase so maybe there is still cause for concern lol.
That's not much but don't forget to add the weight of the water and waste in your tanks plus your propane. I can't address the issue with your model MH but most handle better with at least 1/2 tank of water.

There's no substitute for weighing at a scale, loaded for travel, with water, driver, passengers, etc.
Old 04-03-2024, 04:46 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Quote:

As a new View owner, I'm still pretty impressed with the OCCC as compared to other similar class C's. Coming from the Isata 3 with 900lbs and no front bunk, to the View at 1201lbs with a bunk, I can't imagine we'll come close to exceeding the OCCC given our travel habits and cargo. Our water tanks, F, G & B will only carry the redistributed initial full fresh water as either G or B as we boondock, and any campground stays will see the process start over as all fresh water, so there's little chance we'd ever have more water weight than we started with at the outset. I guess we could theoretically add fresh while boondocking, but we haven't in ten years of MH ownership. It's just built into the way we camp to dump before we fill. I'm also taking into account that our OCCC is probably closer to 1030lbs, and not the 1201lbs as listed, because the original owner had the HWH levelers installed, which being aftermarket, wouldn't be represented on the infamous yellow sticker. Bottom line is I'll travel with confidence in regards to the OCCC.
Riverbend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 04:27 PM   #16
Winnebago Watcher

We have always tried to be as conscious and conservative to weight, therefore we always use paper: plates, cups & bowls that can be burnt in a fire ring. We also use plastic dinner ware, forks, knives and spoons. Be careful with cast iron pans and skillets. Yes, it would be nice to have all the comforts of home but I'd rather be safe than sorry when it comes to the weight and I don't care to skimp on clothes.
bodle47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 04:54 PM   #17
Winnebago Watcher

It’s true of all the sprinter based units. I find it’s not a big problem for my wife and I. Don’t take off wit the tanks full. Think of it as packing for an airline flight. Basically a weeks worth. I have seen some packed to the gills with everything from enough food for a month, sheets , blankets etc for winter when it’s summer etc. it all adds up.
Bobric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 04:56 PM   #18
ACB
Winnebago Owner

Quote:

Remember the weight of water, food and occupants must be added to your cargo carrying total.
We had a class see, 32’ long, only 1200 pounds allowable CCC.
Cross country retirement trip. I didn’t know weight was a concern. We cracked the body of the coach from the slide to the floor line.

I really like the Navion. If you find one with over or close to 1000 pound CCC you should be ok.
If your doing short trips, I doubt it will be any issues.

I live in the west and weighting our rig at CAT SCALE locations is very easy. I downloaded the app, stop in at Love’s, Pilot, Flying J and other travel stations. The app tells you were they are, I’m automatically billed the $13.00 charge and the information is loaded to my email.

It isn’t intimidating, very easy. I’m a 70 year old non tech person! If I can do it…..!

Happy Trails!
ACB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2024, 09:15 AM   #19
Winnebago Owner

On the road 12K miles/yr, weight is a concern, vehicle empty weight is within 500 lbs of OCCC. Have installed OL springs front & rear, Helwig sway bar and Timbren shocks, all have added weight but the taming of sway in the wind is worth it.
Have weighed the rig near empty, the allowable payload was about 300 lbs. Installation of a Satellite Dish diminished payload 30 lbs.

Have hitch mounted cargo carriers, use one at a time. One carrier w 40 gal diesel tank for extended travel in Yukon, NW Territories where fuel stations are scarce, loaded weight inc. fuel pump & hose is about 300lbs, other carrier with tool chest weights about the same.

Have premium tires and carry heavy duty tire changing gear. Not able to comply with vehicle weight specifications but have not had serious problems for 45K miles. Check tire pressure and temperature regularly. Depending on mission, I occasionally pack an extra spare, I don't think the RV has ever complied with maximum weight specs. particularly if extra drinking water is packed.
Shedboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2024, 09:53 AM   #20
ACB
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shedboy View Post
On the road 12K miles/yr, weight is a concern, vehicle empty weight is within 500 lbs of OCCC. Have installed OL springs front & rear, Helwig sway bar and Timbren shocks, all have added weight but the taming of sway in the wind is worth it.
Have weighed the rig near empty, the allowable payload was about 300 lbs. Installation of a Satellite Dish diminished payload 30 lbs.

Have hitch mounted cargo carriers, use one at a time. One carrier w 40 gal diesel tank for extended travel in Yukon, NW Territories where fuel stations are scarce, loaded weight inc. fuel pump & hose is about 300lbs, other carrier with tool chest weights about the same.

Have premium tires and carry heavy duty tire changing gear. Not able to comply with vehicle weight specifications but have not had serious problems for 45K miles. Check tire pressure and temperature regularly. Depending on mission, I occasionally pack an extra spare, I don't think the RV has ever complied with maximum weight specs. particularly if extra drinking water is packed.
Do you have a Navion, and if so what year and model. My wife go back and forth on trading our present Winnebago for a different model but the ccc has held us back due to how long we travel, how far, and our present lifestyle.
Thanks
ACB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weight, view