Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-21-2023, 11:53 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

House Batteries in Storage 2023 Spirit 22M

Storing 2023 spirit 22m for 6 months under rv cover.
What is best for deep cycle group 24 house batteries to maintain? ( take out, leave plugged into shore power )
What is best for Ford engine battery? Take out, trickle cell ?Click image for larger version

Name:	5DB56682-7BAF-4354-B3F8-1CBBC2DBAF9A.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	381.6 KB
ID:	187611Click image for larger version

Name:	5BBF7241-3A73-44FD-848C-A2521CB26E0D.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	379.0 KB
ID:	187612
Twells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2023, 12:37 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Leave everything in the rig. Charge the house batteries to 100% and press the disconnect switch for the winter.

Put a trickle charger on the engine battery.

This is what I have done since 2010 with no issues. However, I do live in a mild climate with just a few days below freezing each year.
ptronus31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2023, 01:11 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

I'd check to see that the battery disconnect cuts power to all loads, on many rigs the propane alarm stays energized and will eventually discharge your batteries. For the chassis battery I highly recommend a smart charger with a storage mode and there is none better than the Victron BlueSmart IP65 and IP67 lines. NOCO makes them too but they don't publish all their specs anywhere and there is no way to verify what the storage voltage is and they cost about the same as Victron. Victron also has a Bluetooth interface that shows you all your charge history and allows you to make custom charge profiles, and can be set for any battery type.

Been running BlueSmart chargers on both coach and chassis batteries for 3 years now and they've kept my batteries like new.
Old 10-21-2023, 04:11 PM   #4
Site Team

On my 22M, I leave my house batteries installed in the motorhome. I leave the motorhome plugged-in year-round, and I never shut-off the all-coach disconnect switch.
I back-feed the chassis battery through the cigarette lighter port on the dash, and plug that trickle-charger into the 120 VAC outlet under the dinette. I currently am using a 3-amp Schumacher SP1297 Fully Automatic Battery Charger, Maintainer, and Auto Desulfator, which works well, but a couple of recently-purchased version of them didn't work well. For my truck and my boat, I just bought a couple of NEXPEAK 10-Amp Smart Fully Automatic Battery Chargers, and I think I like them better, but I needed to solder-in a cigarette lighter power plug on the ends.
Eagle5
Old 10-22-2023, 09:04 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Options, lots of options!
If you want to totally shut down power draining from the coach batteries, the easy one seems to be removing the one long ground cable from the negative post in your picture. We can't see which of the three black cables goes direct to the ground bus, so some looking for which of the three will be needed?
the negative cable off is better as it then lets you do any work on the batteries without fear of arcing, etc.
Take it off, insulate and stick it where it can't come loose and fly into trouble and the draining is killed totally on the coach side.

But this also kills any charging from the RV being plugged in and disconnect on! No coach charging!

Other options are to put a charger on the chassis battery to charge it while leaving the RV plugged with disconnect on and converter charges the coach. Kind of awkward and uses two chargers instead of one?

Depending on how the RV is build for battery location and parts, there may be a way to do it with less equipment?
Since you will have a good charger built into the converter on the newer RV, we can expect it to do a good job of backing off to a good float voltage when the batteries get fully charged.
One way to get less charge equipment needed is to tie the chassis and coach positives together making it one single string of three instead of two and one!

If built side by side, this can be a simple strap from coach positive to chassis positive.
But it appears you have chassis battery in another location, so a strap at the mode solenoid is another possible point.

Click this drawing for best view of a really bad drawing! they did a really good job of making it hard to spot which cable goes where!
But they also do some good with putting tape on the cable ends to help ID them. On a new RV, they may still be there?
Click image for larger version

Name:	battery cable ID.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	187620
Click image for larger version

Name:	mode.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	147.8 KB
ID:	187619

The idea with this point is that the mode solenoid is the gizmo which connects coach and chassis batteries together when we drive as a way to get a bit of charge back into any run down coach!
It also connects them when we push a dash switch named different things on different years! Boost, aux, etc are different names they have used. This switch lets us do a "jump start" when the chassis battery is weak!

Since it connects the two together at those times, we can also use that point if we want to connect them to let the one converter/charger keep both charged when stored!

A simple strap between them that is heavy enough to carry any current expected with a switch to connect/disconnect would be my choice. A simple 15 amp rated toggle might be my choice if both battery sets were not at radical different voltages.

There IS a definite downside to this if we are not alert, so consider how you operate?
IF this strap is left on while boondocking and you run long enough to let the coach go flat, you WILL have trouble starting because both coach and chassis will go down at the same rate and you WILL NOT have backup "boost" starting!
But if you have a set process of getting ready to travel and turn this switch off, things will then be just like normal!
New charger to keep the chassis charged or new strap and switch? You likely have to remember to do something to get ready for taking it out of storage!

I DO NOT recommend this for older RV that do not have the much improved chargers built into the converter as they tend to overcharge and run batteries too hot! Either is something to watch for a bit when first doing it, just to make sure you are not charging too hot!

When dealing with a 2015 that seemed a bit too hot, I found a timer on the AC to let it power up for three hours each seven days was good.

Options? Lots of them!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2023, 10:30 AM   #6
1996 Itasca 29Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twells View Post
Storing 2023 spirit 22m for 6 months under rv cover.
What is best for deep cycle group 24 house batteries to maintain? ( take out, leave plugged into shore power )
What is best for Ford engine battery? Take out, trickle cell ?Attachment 187611Attachment 187612
If you have the option I would leave it plugged into shore power, put a trickle charger on the chassis battery and get one of those little 75-watt boat heaters to keep the moisture at bay! The batteries will stay happy and the coach won't be musty in the spring.
Bobn1957 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, storage, house batteries