Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-04-2020, 10:00 AM   #1
Site Team

Hot Water Heater OFF while underway?

One warranty repair that needed to be done to my Minnie Winnie 22M was the replacement of the Hot Water Heater's Ignition Sensor Wire. The exterior cover also had evidence of flame burn on the label which is mounted on the inside surface of that cover. Now that the Ignition Sensor Wire has been replaced, no further problems were detected by my dealer Roy Robinson.

I had been keeping my Hot Water Heater switched ON while underway, but I am now going to switch it OFF as I drive down the highway. I guess the side-wind was causing errant flame damage to the label and the wire, but I really cannot be sure. Does anyone else have some wisdom to impart on this?

Thanks, Eagle5
Old 03-04-2020, 11:11 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

We conserve when we can and the water heater heats very quickly so we only turn it on as we see we will need it. Wear and tear and propane for water that just sets there when we don't need it? Staying in Texas long dictates learning how avoid any heat you can avoid!
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 11:46 AM   #3
Site Team

Hi Morich,
Sounds reasonable to me. It will warm the tank in just a few minutes, and full-heat it in just 20 minutes, so that makes sense.
Thanks, Eagle5
Old 03-04-2020, 01:57 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Due to the quick recovery I tend to leave it off even if I am camping, unless I'm going to need it. So I might turn it on when first setup just so I have warm water for hand washing, but then leave it off until the next morning when I might want to take a shower.

BTW, not all that related, but I have the electric side of the system disconnected so that it isn't accidentally on. When I was renting trailers and motor homes most the electric heaters didn't work because users would have them on without water. Quite frankly unless I was low on propane or the propane side wasn't working I don't think I'll ever use the electric heating component. Gas water heating is far superior.
Goodspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 02:07 PM   #5
Site Team

Good advice Goodspike; yes, warm water for hand-washing at pit stops is all one needs. I don't believe Winnebago is installing the dual-heat (electric & Propane) hot water heaters in the Class Cs. I agree that recovery time with the Propane is fast indeed.
Thanks, Brian.
Old 03-04-2020, 03:31 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Our 2014 View Profile has a dual fuel Atwood WH. I heat the water just before we shove off using LP. Stays warm enough for several hours of travel. We use the electric heater on shore power in campgrounds. If we really need to 'both' to get a faster recovery but that is not often.

Pick the energy source that is the least expensive and most available! Off when not needed.
Old Crows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 08:57 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Open Flame While Traveling is Dangerous and Unlawful

Just a reminder to all:

Propane tanks should be turned off prior to travel as it is the law in many states. There are still some states where vehicles with propane are prohibited in tunnels.

Imagine the explosive power of open flame or propane in a tunnel

Just my two cents - Love you all ! ! !
TATANKA01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 09:03 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by TATANKA01 View Post
Just a reminder to all:

Propane tanks should be turned off prior to travel as it is the law in many states. There are still some states where vehicles with propane are prohibited in tunnels.
I was going to mention that, but many people need it on to keep the refrigerator functioning. I would say though that it would be a reason to not leave both tanks on with trailers that have the automatic switchover when the propane tank runs empty.

Is there a list of states where that's required?
Old 03-05-2020, 12:34 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Good Sam List including Propane tanks...Good Reading

https://www.goodsam.com/article/defa...icleID=2377513
TATANKA01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 05:18 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

No need to run while driving. Heats up quick especially if I also turn on the electric element also.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 05:26 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Not a bad list and I appreciate it but it’s from 2010 and pretty tough reading.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 05:33 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Looking at that link, I saw very little about LP restrictions. Maybe I missed something. We keep our tank on in our MH for the fridge...
Old 03-11-2020, 06:13 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

Since that list is overt ten years old as well as being a reprint of someone's reading of the rules, I would not want to give it much value as some of the rules show lots lacking. On a quick read of the rules, I noticed what must be a bit of "condensed version" , for instance
one states, "headlights on wipers on". Which brings the question of when and why.
Just not reliable info and better to check for the specific state and question you have in mind.
Old 03-11-2020, 08:57 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

The water heaters have not changed much except for revision level in over 20 years and its always been safe to drive with them running especially those with the digital ignitions. If wires are getting scorched then the unit should be checked for correct propane gas pressure, air gap/shutter adjustment, presence of spiders, mud daubers, etc.

On the 2019 Mini Winnie Class C Motorhome they do not list MotorAid or an electric element as available on that model which is unfortunate. Once you get used to MotorAid you won't want to be without it since it preheats the hot water heater using engine coolant in a heat exchanger so you should always have instant hot water after about 30 minutes of driving even without leaving the water heater running on propane.

Again if things are getting scorched then something is not working correctly and hopefully when they serviced the unit they checked the operation of the control board thoroughly and ensured everything was clean along with properly adjusted.
Old 03-11-2020, 10:23 PM   #15
Site Team

Hi Neil,
I suspect that Winnebago has had fewer warranty repairs with simpler systems. For example, the refrigerator runs either on 120 VAC or Propane. One of the motorhomes I rented from Cruise America had a tri-power refrigerator that would run exclusively on 12 VDC when the main motor was running. Sadly, only the 120 VAC mode actually functioned.

I will try to check my hot water heater for the items you enumerated. Given that these hot water heaters can function going down the road, I suspect something is still wrong.

Perhaps the Propane-only hot water heater is the most reliable type. As Scotty said after sabotaging the Excelsior, "The More they overtake the plumbing, the easier it is to stop-up the drain."

Thanks, Eagle5

The More they overtake the plumbing, the easier it is to stop-up the drain
Old 03-11-2020, 10:34 PM   #16
2004 Minnie 29B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle5 View Post
One warranty repair that needed to be done to my Minnie Winnie 22M was the replacement of the Hot Water Heater's Ignition Sensor Wire. The exterior cover also had evidence of flame burn on the label which is mounted on the inside surface of that cover. Now that the Ignition Sensor Wire has been replaced, no further problems were detected by my dealer Roy Robinson.

I had been keeping my Hot Water Heater switched ON while underway, but I am now going to switch it OFF as I drive down the highway. I guess the side-wind was causing errant flame damage to the label and the wire, but I really cannot be sure. Does anyone else have some wisdom to impart on this?

Thanks, Eagle5
When my 2004 Minnie was new, I discovered that while driving, cross winds could cause the water heater exhaust to act erratically, causing scorching around the exhaust screen of the water heater and smoking deposits on the side of the motorhome. Since then I do not travel with the water heater on. On another note, I recently had to replace the ignition sensor wire on the water heater (it broke internally) I found the best price was at Walmart (online) (was less than $15) and only took two days for delivery. Much better than any of the local RV centers (price averaged over $60).
RV Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 10:37 PM   #17
Site Team

Hi RV Tinker,
So good to know. If I don't find anything else out of adjustment or clogged, then the practice of NOT running the hot water heater while underway may be the only thing I will need to do.
Thanks, Eagle5
Old 03-12-2020, 08:26 AM   #18
Winnebago Master

Finding better ways to operate is one of the big things between the first rip and the next twenty.
We had kind of reset how we deal with getting hot water as we move. We kind of like to have it if we have a hot meal at lunch, so we have learned to just park, fire the water heater and then fix lunch, so that by the time we finish eating we have hot water for cleanup.
Our motto?
Look, learn, adapt as needed! No one set of rules will fit us all.
Old 03-12-2020, 08:41 AM   #19
2018 22M

WB Class C w/elec & lp & etc

With some of the comments about the 2010 Good Sam article I didn’t look. Yet I do know, for instance, the Newport News VA tunnel actually inspects if your propane is off while the Chesapeake Bay tunnel cashiers are simply supposed to ask. I’ve not heard of a state that never allows propane on when simply traveling. I, too, leave LP heater off when underway, but fridge on. Also I have a 2017 WB 26A and DO have a 2-way elec/propane water heater. Thx for some of your comments. I will stop leaving my elec heater on full time when plugged in now. Wear & tear, etc.
dnta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 08:59 AM   #20
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnta View Post
I will stop leaving my elec heater on full time when plugged in now. Wear & tear, etc.
My main concerns about the electric heater are: (1) Accidentally plugging in without water and burning it out; and (2) Putting more of a draw on a possibly questionable park electrical system, particularly if using AC.

Beyond that though, for home use I much prefer a gas water heater. They are very reliable and work well. While our RV water heaters are probably not as reliable (e.g. they aren't going to last 20 years even with part time use), they do work well when they do work. And when the time comes when it doesn't work the electric system should be new if it hasn't been being used.

Tags
hot water heater off