Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-01-2016, 03:45 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Any suggestions to kill bad odor from black tank when toilet is used while underway?

Our coach is two years old and recently we have noticed a very strong odor from the black tank if the toilet is used while underway. Prior to about 6 months ago, this never happened. The tank is not full, we drain often. We are currently using Tank Techs Rx to deodorize our black and grey tanks
donnariley53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 04:04 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnariley53 View Post
Our coach is two years old and recently we have noticed a very strong odor from the black tank if the toilet is used while underway. Prior to about 6 months ago, this never happened. The tank is not full, we drain often. We are currently using Tank Techs Rx to deodorize our black and grey tanks
donnariley53
Keeping the windows and roof vents closed, not running a vent fan and always running the dash/heat blower, (not set to max/recirculate), when underway may be the solution.

If not try some of the suggestions that are sure to come.

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 04:17 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via Skype™ to tnteacherguy
I know on my Tour the 1/2 bath sink flows into the black tank. While we drive and use our toilet after I flush I'll wash my hands for 10 seconds to add some water to the P trap so the odors smell more like soap than bad gas.
Don't know if yours is the same.
Old 08-01-2016, 07:11 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Happy Camper in the black tank.... shark fin vents on the roof.... all mentioned above
Old 08-01-2016, 07:56 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Fix the Toilet

Probably need to rebuild the toilet. Don't forget the seal at the floor. While you have it up, check for cracks and fittings that are no longer glued together in the piping.

If you have a clothes washer, run some water through it before you leave home, as it also has a trap that dries out.

Chased my smell for months before I got serious about rebuilding all of the seals on the toilet.
Mike Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 09:26 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

No need to rebuild anything from your description. No smell normally, just when it is flushed while driving.

When driving, if you have any windows or vents open when you flush, air is drawn out of the black tank, through the coach, and out the open window or vent. The same would be true when parked if you have the bathroom ceiling vent drawing air out of the rig and you open the flush valve. If all windows and vents are closed, and especially if the ac is running, there will be no reverse vacuum sucking the air from the black tank.

We use no chemicals. Just water. No smells unless we leave the rear most ceiling vent open when driving ...it apparently brings in odors from the nearby tank vent stack.
Old 08-02-2016, 09:51 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

No open windows or ceiling fan. Close lid before flushing. No need for chermicals in tank.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
powderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 06:18 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

We had the same issue and fitted one of the Venturi type caps on the vent pipe. Made a big difference for a few dollars

Pete
Peter27C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 09:13 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

As mentioned, I'd make sure your p traps are filled with water, the smell from your grey water tanks is just as bad as the black water tanks, and that may actually be what your are smelling. We've noticed that sometimes our p traps will drain, not sure how, maybe if turning while going up hill or down at just the right angle? Anyway we make sure the traps are filled with water.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 05:42 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

I think AFChap covered most of the issue(s). We have had the same problem from time to time. Once negative pressure builds up in the coach, flushing the toilet opens a direct path to the black tank vent which creates air flow thru the black tank to provide balancing air up through the toilet. WHOOOOOEE.

The other thing that we have found, that in summer heat, the tank needs dumped, and, for sure flushed out, at least once per week, full or not.

We are full timers, and have owned an RV for 25 years and I'm personally not comfortable with not using chemical to break down waste and toilet paper. Since we wash the tanks out often, there is no bacteria that remains in the tank to help with that breakdown unless we introduce the same.

Here's to sweet smells and happy travels. Mike
mtnmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 09:56 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

I would listen to Peter27C and his advice. I would also start using a toilet tank chemical that smells nice and also hides odors in your tank. I have been motorhoming for over 40 years and the best thing you can do is use the tank chemicals EACH TIME you empty your tanks and install a vent-mounted diffuser on your coach.
Old 08-04-2016, 11:13 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

OK, I'm a know-it-all -- but I really don't know-it-at-all!! What exactly is a vent-mounted diffuser?
ezdavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 05:50 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

There's likely a 'dome' over the plastic vent pipe on the roof for both the grey and black tanks, (and sometimes a 3rd vent for a secondary grey tank). Those domes don't really help venting while you're driving. Thing to do is go to Home Depot or similar and buy a plastic 'T' from the bathroom section.

Remove the dome and toss it, place the T in their place on the top of the vent pipe with the open ends of the T pointing fore and aft on the RV. The cost for this solution is around $8. Plus some rope caulking or Eternabond. So, $12.

OR, you could buy a couple of those fancy vent caps made for RVs for $30 each.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 07:57 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Diffuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezdavie View Post
OK, I'm a know-it-all -- but I really don't know-it-at-all!! What exactly is a vent-mounted diffuser?
It's a vent cap that replaces the original. Many of them pivot in the wind (weathervane) to keep the wind from pressurizing the tank and also to draw the odors away from your rig.
Old 08-06-2016, 10:13 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

With our first motorhome I learned real quick to shut off the ceiling fan in the bathroom before flushing the toilet. As mentioned before, that pulls the odor up from the black tank into the motorhome.
sask66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 04:31 PM   #16
Winnebago Watcher

My suggestion would be oxyclean (sp?). Used this both on our sailboat and now ERA. No bad smell. And as others have states check the seals. There should be no odors.
My 2 cents
mngrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 05:15 PM   #17
Winnie-Wise

I solved our tank-smell issue with the 360 Siphon Plumbing Vent Cap, available in black or white, from Camping World and others. It was easy to remove the OEM cap, cut down the black pipe by just a little bit, and seal/install the new cap.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	360-Siphon1.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	135330  
RTegarini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 05:31 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the photo!
donnariley53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 11:16 PM   #19
Winnebago Master

$34 each retail for that 360 Siphon Plumbing Vent Cap? You can accomplish the same thing with a plastic 'T' from the bathroom section of Home Depot at $4 each.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 07:51 AM   #20
Winnebago Camper

Jim HiTek, How does the "T" rotate to accommodate changing wind direction?

Tags
black tank, odor, tank, toilet