Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-15-2024, 07:21 AM   #1
2014 Access Premier 26QP

Garmin loses reception 2013 Access Premier

We started out using the Infotainment Center GPS when we bought the Access Premier in 2013. It worked but the screen calibration kept changing and entering destinations was clumsy. Got a Garmin 770RV and it was great. About 3 years ago it frequently started losing satellite reception. Decided this year to upgrade to a 795RV. It has had the same problem already. At home I was trying different things and found that when I pressed the navi button on the Infotainment center, the Garmin lost reception. Now I wish the Infotainment had an on/off switch. Has anyone else had a problem like this??
jimgossett2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 08:43 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Sounds like a bit of the "tin foil hat" problem!
What I might guess happening is that the GPS in the current location is getting too much interference from the electronics of the other.
What we can't see, without good equipment, is that we live in constant "stew" of electronic signals and those can get mixed into what the GPS, needs to receive.

What I suspect happening in your case is the entertainment system has components which put out interfering "signals" which the GPS picks up and it interferes with it's mind! They are weak as signals go and often do no harm, but if something is close enough, it can get into it!

Can we assume the entertainment has no blue tooth, etc. that could be turned off as a way to cut any output from that source?

Some things that might work to sort the problem is to move the GPS as far from the other as possible. Weak signals may only travel a few feet at a strong enough level to cause problems.
OR
Try to build a tinfoil or wire screen shield between the two. Tin foil is laughed at but actually putting metal between or around and grounding it can be effective to see if we can cut the interference between the two!
Perhaps an easy thing to build for a trial would be a simple box shape, fully open at the top but surrounding the GPS? Leave it open at front to see and at top to get the GPS signal but try to cut the path from the other system? Ground the screen wire and attach the wire to some metal part of the RV that is ground and move it around to see where and if it helps?
Interfering signals are hard to fight because we can't see them!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 09:03 AM   #3
Site Team

Can you move the Garmin over toward the passenger side of the front windshield?
Old 05-15-2024, 09:30 AM   #4
2014 Access Premier 26QP

Originally I had the Garmin sitting on top of the dash which is right over the Infotainment Center. I moved to to the drivers side next to the door post. Not sure that helped any. I might try moving it as high as possible.
Old 05-15-2024, 09:31 AM   #5
2014 Access Premier 26QP

I will try the aluminum foil shielding.
Old 05-15-2024, 09:33 AM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimgossett2 View Post
Originally I had the Garmin sitting on top of the dash which is right over the Infotainment Center. I moved to to the drivers side next to the door post. Not sure that helped any. I might try moving it as high as possible.
I keep mine on the passenger side of the front window so as to not block my view going forward. That area also keeps it further forward, giving a better sky view for the Garmin.
Old 05-15-2024, 09:52 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Looking closer at what your first post tells us, there may be a clue as to the interference. You mention use of the GPS that did not suit?
If that GPS unit is trying to communicate it's location to the same satellite that the Garmin is using, that is very likely to be a problem!
If there is not a good place found to locate the Garmin, it may be more effective to arrange some way to turn the first GPS totally off!

Kind of like some TV where two people talk at once and you can't make sense of either? The problem may be in finding a way to turn off only the GPS function while leaving other parts like the cameras working!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote