Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-25-2023, 04:34 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Burnt Dimensions Inverter 2005 Minnie Winnie

Just purchased a 2005 Minnie Winnie and the inverter is shot (WIN-12/300TL). Took it apart and it is burnt where the 110v goes into the circuit board.

I do like (at least I think I do) that the old Dimensions inverter that takes two inputs (110v and 12v) and it must have some sort of auto sense to know when the coach is connected to shore power or if it should be taking input from the batteries. This is my assessment but could be totally wrong.

It does run three receptacles, two for the entertainment area and one next to the dinette. I suppose I could just wire in these three receptacles into the rest of the 110v in the RV. But I do like having an inverter. The old one is only 300 watts.

That being said, it does not seem to be common with inverters these days to have two inputs with auto transfer between 12v and 110v. Also my old inverter had an output of 110v in the back that I could wire up the 3 outlets.

New inverters have the outlets in the front and only a 12v input. I suppose I could just wire up the batteries as 12v input and stick a plug in the front and wire it to the 3 outlets and forget about 110v as an alternate input.

Maybe back in 2005 that was old tech and now they just do not bother. I am assuming that my converter is still working and charging the two house batteries and there is a small solar panel on the roof.

Anyone have and thoughts or comments on replacement.

TIA.

Matthew
Matthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2023, 05:09 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

The most cost effective option would be to replace with another inverter of the same AC output wattage and use an external transfer switch. If you go with a bigger inverter the DC wiring and fuse will blow if you use more watts than the 300 that the DC feed is sized for.

The external 120 VAC transfer switch could be manual. You would put in a AC outlet on the AC feed wire that feeds the inverter. You would put an AC plug on the AC feed wire that was going to the output of the inverter. You would manually move the plug back and forth between the feed outlet and the outlet on the inverter.

I suggest you get a 300 watt inverter with a on-off switch and pure sine wave output. You will want to manually switch off the inverter when not in use to save your 12V battery.

If you do want to upgrade to a bigger inverter than the current one, you'll want to run the DC power wires from the bigger inverter directly to the battery with an appropriate size ANL fuse. For 1000 W this would be 2 or 4 AWG depending on length and a 100 A fuse near the battery end.

If you want it automatic transfer like the current setup and do the work to upgrade to 1000 W Winnebago Motorized used a Xantrex 1000 W inverter with built in transfer switch that sells retail for around $ 350.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2023, 11:38 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I am really over thinking this. I have searched google for inverters and read about all the different kinds. I have looked at used inverters with auto transfer switches on FB Market place and Craigslist and just can not make a decision.

I did look at the Xantrex 1000w inverters with an auto transfer switch for $400. That solves the ATS but now no access to the inverter.

My old inverter sits under the fridge, I access it by pulling out the drawer above it. Below the drawer on the outside is the control panel of the inverter (actual front face of the inverter is pushed nicely to flush mount). It has the GFCI breaker (no outlet) a reset button and a power off an on switch. Very convenient.

If I forget about the ATS and just buy a simple 300/400 watt sine wave inverter and mount it in the same location and wire it up with 12v DC input and the output would be a plug with wire and wire it to the existing romex to the 3 outlets, I now have an access problem to the on and of switch. If I flush mount the inverter so I can access the on and off switch the output outlet is now in the front too and the 3 outlet connection is back inside. I suppose I can put in a plug and run it back inside and wire it up to the 3 outlets but the plug would look a bit weird.

I could get an inverter with a remote control but most start at 1000 watts but I did find a Renogy 700W Pure Sine Wave Inverter with a remote.

I have looked for an inverter with input and outputs at the back as that would be the ultimate and just push the front of the inverter with the on and off switch to the current opening.

Anyone familiar with an inverter with this type of set up? Love to hear your thoughts.
Matthew is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter