Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-17-2021, 12:19 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Bunk Bed Rail above Truck Cab

I want to add a safety rail to the over-cab bunk bed in my Minnie Winnie 22R. The problem is, I can't find a retail one that will work because the plywood under the mattress does not go all the way across due to the half-circle cut-out, please see diagram in attached PDF.

So I'm thinking about using brackets attached to the walls on each end of the bed and having a rail board go across the opening. Search "Socell 4 Sets Bed Rail Brackets" on Amazon to see what I just bought.

QUESTION: how would I attach these brackets (or anything for that matter) to the inside of the RV walls? I have not been able to find a Winnebago framing diagram to know where there are wood or metal studs, and I heard that using a stud finder tool can give false reads in an RV.

IDEA - one idea I read was to use rivets. If I did this, I would use an aluminum plate maybe 6" or 8" square with maybe 3 rivets per side, with the bracket mounted in the middle.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Bunk Bed layout.pdf (15.0 KB, 47 views)
PadFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 12:06 AM   #2
Site Team

Hi PadFamily,
How about a cargo net?
Materials:
  1. Gladiator Cargo Net - Heavy Duty Cargo Net - ATV/Quad (GAN-100) - 2.3' x 3'
  2. SmartStraps 10-Foot Cambuckle (4pk) 900 lbs Break Strength (two needed)
  3. Rhino Produxs Heavy Duty Lightweight Locking Carabiner Clips (two)
  4. Stainless Steel Ceiling Hooks (four)
  5. Black-finish wood screws #10 x ¾" (sixteen; from a hardware store)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • The Cargo Net would be mounted justified to the driver's side of the vehicle with two Carabiners.
  • Two SmartStraps would be used on the passenger side.
  • This would give room for the kids to crawl down the ladder without having to remove any boards, but they still would be safe from rolling-out of the bed at night.
  • Ceiling hook location suggestions are in the three pictures below.
Thanks, Eagle5

"X" mounting locations for the bottom of the net, left-side for the Carabiner, and the right side for the SmartStrap.

"X" mounting location for the head of the bed using a Carabiner. Exact positions should be determined via test fitting.

"X" mounting location for the foot of the bed using a SmartStrap.
Old 08-19-2021, 07:25 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Get a wood clothes pole and the hanger cups for it.
SLOweather is offline   Reply With Quote