Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-24-2020, 09:41 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Air Springs Pressure Issurs

Hello all. We bought a 2016 Spirit 31K a few weeks ago, and need some advice/ suggestions on how to check the air pressure on the air springs.

I've located the ports (my word for where you adjust pressures) in left rear wheel well. My problem is that the way they are mounted, there is not enough of the stem exposed to allow a gauge to check pressures. The nut holding the stem is too thick for the air chuck to engage the valve in the stem. I tried a short valve extender, but the threads were not the same on the stem and the extender. My next solution is to try to find some thin nuts to replace the thick ones in use now.

Any other ideas will be appreciated. Thanks!
Siman00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 06:23 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Photos?
TATANKA01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 09:59 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I have a similar issue with my aspect. valves located in far reaches of lower compartment and a PIA to get to. What I did and you might have to relocate your valves a bit was to install 90 deg extensions and then run dual wheel inside air hoses. Mounted the new valves to the inside left of the compartment. I have seen the air valves run out from the side of the vehicle behind the wheel well direct to outside, again this is similar to what I did. You could get an air pump system and just remote fill from the cabin fancy ones ($$) can be tied into the cell phone.

As to the extensions not fitting, they should, as the valves are same types (schrader) that the tires are air'd by!
hank857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 12:29 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I found a solution! The air valves were held in place by a washer and a shoulder nut. I removed the washer and ground down about 1/3 of the thickness of the shoulder nut. Tightened it all down and voila, I can check and add air! BTY, both airbags had no air pressure at all. I filled to 50psi, and we'll see how it rides now. Also, the reason why an extension wouldn't fit on the valves is that the threads on the outside of the valve that's mounted are coarse, while the threads on the extension are fine. Weird but true!.

Thanks for helping!
Old 07-26-2020, 05:33 PM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

we have a 2005 Cambria. 3 years ago we had the air springs replaced (new hoses and fill valve as well) because the old ones leaked, and had not been correctly installed, in relation to the axle. New installation was mechanically good, but one leaks much more so than the other. I have to add air about every 2 weeks. Other than that, they do a very nice job of picking up the back end. The fill valves are mounted in the same area as the outside shower plumbing - very easy to access. Some day I will add an inside air pump.
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 07:27 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I don't know how long ago mine last held air (bought used), but I plan to do some periodic checking to see if they need replacing. Thanks!