Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2020, 09:52 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Tankless water heater on\off switch question

I am a first time owner of a 2021 View 24V. I recently completed my first trip and I realized that I did not toggle the water heater switch to off when I stored the RV. The water pump was turned off and the coach was drained of fresh and black/gray water. I believe the main propane valve was also left on. Everything else in the coach was set to the off position. The RV is stored about 45 mins away so I am wondering if I need to make a trip out to address this. Was wondering if the water heater will continue to run even though everything else is switched off?

The RV was plugged in and the house coach battery switch was left in the on position as well.

Thanks,
Justin
jjmacaskill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 12:12 AM   #2
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjmacaskill View Post
I am a first time owner of a 2021 View 24V. I recently completed my first trip and I realized that I did not toggle the water heater switch to off when I stored the RV. The water pump was turned off and the coach was drained of fresh and black/gray water. I believe the main propane valve was also left on. Everything else in the coach was set to the off position. The RV is stored about 45 mins away so I am wondering if I need to make a trip out to address this. Was wondering if the water heater will continue to run even though everything else is switched off?

The RV was plugged in and the house coach battery switch was left in the on position as well.

Thanks,
Justin
I’d read your manuals—front to back. From what I saw online, your water heater is an “on demand” electric water heater. So the propane shouldn't be an issue insofar as that goes, but I’d still drive out here to shut off the propane.

That said, since you’re plugged in, as you said, with the water heater on and with no water in the system, that might be problematic.

I’m not that familiar with your on-demand system, so perhaps, if there’s no demand, it might survive.

I’d suggest a pre-flight and storage checklist moving forward.

Personally, i’d drive the distance to rectify your situation ASAP.
Old 07-26-2020, 07:43 AM   #3
Living The Dream

If your water heater is a Truma AquaGo like in our 2018 View, then you have two switches ... one in the bathroom and one next to the actual heater inside the compartment accessed from outside. If it isn’t a Truma AquaGo, then what follows doesn’t apply ...

If it is an AquaGo, then having left on both switches should probably be corrected right away. If, however, you’ve turned off the bathroom switch and simply left on the outside switch then you’re okay.

When our View is occupied, as a routine matter our bathroom switch is only on when hot water is needed, like, for example, taking showers or doing dishes. The outside switch remains on while occupied, but when the View goes to storage, I also turn off the outside switch (the bathroom switch would already be off since taking it to storage would not involve showering or dishes).

Also as a routine matter, when the View goes to storage and at the same time I turn off the switch outside, I also stick the yellow plastic device supplied by Truma into the flue discharge to keep out mid daubers. Anytime the View is occupied, that yellow device is stored next to the heater within the outside storage compartment (unless freezing temperatures are forecasted, but that’s a whole different issue and should be understood per all that appears in the manual).

The Truma AquaGo is a very cool piece of equipment, but has some specific instructions for keeping it protected and functional. If you plan to use it when ambient temperatures are possible, you should acquire the electric freeze protection device made by Truma. The manual explains what it is and how it is to be used.

https://shop.truma.net/products/aqua...antifreeze-kit
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 09:26 AM   #4
Living The Dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeTheUSA View Post
.... snipped ....

... mid daubers ...

.... snipped ....
And mud daubers, too
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags