Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2008, 03:15 AM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Has anybody cdhanged their leveler springs? If so, any helpful hints, tips, advice?

Thanks in advance.

'05 Meridian 36G
CHIPPYSGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 03:15 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Has anybody cdhanged their leveler springs? If so, any helpful hints, tips, advice?

Thanks in advance.

'05 Meridian 36G
Old 05-01-2008, 03:57 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Yes - several of us on the forum have changed them out and discussed the various procedures. Do a forum search for "spring."

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 11:57 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by CHIPPYSGT:

Thanks in advance. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I changed 1 spring that had broken, it was really easy to do. You just need a long leverage bar and wha laa.
2001 32-V Suncruiser,Ford V-10, 310 HP, 4 Koni FSD's, KVH Tracvision,trickle charge, awning travel lock, 1 dinning room slide; no roof leaks, 03malibu toad sometimes, Blackhawk all terrain towbar, Roadmaster brake Pro,1 wife,1 westy, life is good!
bobpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 12:40 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Thanks John and bobpie.

'05 Meridian 36G
Old 05-01-2008, 12:56 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by John_Canfield:
Yes - several of us on the forum have changed them out and discussed the various procedures. Do a forum search for "spring." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks John.

I know HWH sells replacement springs...but I'm not convinced yet that there is not a higher grade quality (alloy metal) spring available as aftermarket purchase. Would be helpful ...since I know zip abour spring technology or categories...grading..like bolts etc..., if someone could steer me into what type of spring nomenclature the original HWH one is, and where to shop for possible upgrade match.

I think "Overhead " brand garage door opener springs are out of consideration...

Thanks
Old 05-02-2008, 04:33 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

I suspect the springs are custom made for HWH like I think the jacks (hydraulic cylinder) are.

HWH has had problems with vendor supplied parts over the years. They received a batch of springs that didn't meet their specification - the springs lost their temper and wouldn't retract the jacks quickly, or not all the way.

I had ongoing issues with slow jack retractions especially in cold weather for two years - ever since the coach was new. Forest City twice looked at the problem, did a few things but they never were completely fixed.

We wound up with two new sets of springs, but the problem persisted. Frustrated, we planned a stop at the HWH factory to get this addressed once and for all.

HWH replaced all four jacks and the tech said they received a bad batch jacks from their supplier - the cylinder was being squeezed too tightly by the cylinder seal for proper operation.

[RANT ON]
This raises two concerns for me and I speculate:

a) HWH apparently doesn't have adequate incoming parts inspection and quality control of their suppliers

b) HWH (apparently) made no effort to track down where the defective parts were sent so the end user could be notified. If they passed this information to Forest City and nothing was done about it, then that truly is a shame

Some automobile manufacturers follow a practice known as a "soft recall" - nothing is done (no proactive notification) unless the customer complains. This is an ultimate attempt to save the manufacturer money for the non-safety design/manufacturing/parts problems.
[/RANT OFF]

Having said all of that, HWH has stood by their product (and I appreciated their free lunch) - I just wish they were more proactive when they know they have bad parts in their production run.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 06:00 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

There were some posts here or the other forum where someone had a real clever way of doing it that made it very easy and without a lot of brute force. I never had the problem so I can't remember how they did it but the search would probably find it.
Old 05-02-2008, 09:58 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Seems like they hooked the spring up to something stretched it, put some spacer in it, installed it, put the jacks down and removed the spacers.

1999-2008 traded in Suncruiser 90,000 miles
Jeeperrmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 12:28 PM   #10
Winnebago Watcher

THE NEW HWH SPRINGS HAVE TAPERED ENDS. THEY ARE EASY TO INSTALL. JUST PUSH THE STORE BUTTON ON THE LEVELER CONTROLS AND PRY THE JACK TO THE FULL UP POSITION, (EASY TO DO WITH A 2X4 AND JUST EASY STEADY PRESSURE) WITH THE JACK AT THE FULL UP POSITION JUST MAN HANDLE THE SPRINGS ON. EASY TO DO. ALSO ABOUT WHENEVER I NOTICE THE JACKS SLOWING DOWN ON RETRACTION TIME I PUT THE JACKS IN THE FULL DOWN POSITION AND CLEAN THE SHAFT WITH WD40, THEN WIPE THEM OFF WITH A CLEAN RAG THEN LUBE THEM LIBERALLY WITH SILICONE, THIS HAS WORKED WELL FOR ME. GOOD LUCK, RONNIE
schiappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 01:20 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Jeeper and Ronnie,

Thanks for the info. I'll do it next week. gotta scoot down to Valdosta tomorrow and pick up the wife. She stayed there to help daughter with her 3rd baby in 3 years and our 16th grandchild.

She flies out on 5/7 to TX for son's 2nd kid,(#17) and found out daughter in CA is due with
#18 in Sept.

Who's spiking the water????????

'05 Meridian 36G
Old 05-02-2008, 02:07 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Bend your new spring and put a shim in the open loop. Repeat on the opposite side, etc., etc. until the spring becomes long enough to slip over the spring hangers with the jack raised. Have someone lower the jack while you hold the spring in position until the bottom spring hook enters the bracket hole. Extend jack until spacers fall out.

Or you could get an 8' 2x4 or a steel bar.........

-Tom
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 02:08 PM   #13
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by CHIPPYSGT: #18 in Sept.
Who's spiking the water???????? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And I "complain" when my one Grandson (2.5 years) flicks every switch in the MH when he visits. What if all 18 were there? And, No, I don't complain at all...he keeps me young(er) but he has challenged my diagnostic skills as to why something doesn't work after a visit. Hey, we bought the 35J so he would have his own bunk

On edit: some great examples. After Eli has been with us, when I start up to go, it is for sure that the windshield wipers will start moving. Also, the radio will not work because it has been switched to engine battery which is dead because the headlights are on . Last place we stayed dear daughter called me at work and said that the steps would not come out...engine battery was dead because Monsieur Eli had turned the headlights on hours ago. But, when this bugs me seriously then it is time to plant me! Oooops...this has nothing to do with springs! Sorry! Steve
Old 05-02-2008, 02:10 PM   #14
Winnie-Wise

Yes! Tom N has the solution I had read earlier.
Old 05-02-2008, 04:24 PM   #15
Winnie-Wise

I thought of what Tom said and when I mentioned it to the HWH lady who answered the phone she said she'd never heard of it.

Seems logical to me ands a whole lot easier than "muscling" it into place.

'05 Meridian 36G
Old 05-05-2008, 02:33 PM   #16
Winnie-Wise

I found a company that offers high quality springs..possible aftermarket upgrade quality than offered currently by HWH...note different materials offered in extension springs. Now..does anyone know spec measurements/material etc.. of HWH extension springs as indicated by link diagram for CS's extension springs? If not..I'll just pull one to see what match I get with Century Springs.. Incidentally, I found some good similar Century Spring extension springs at local True Value Hardware...not sure of the match yet though...but...once a crossover number to HWH spring is determined...it just might be possible to custom order that CS spring number through local True Value Hardware..maybe...

http://www.centuryspring.com/Century/GateWayServlet?des...tion=MainCatalog.jsp