Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-09-2007, 09:48 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Are the gas springs suppose to hold the bed up to access the storage compartment? I have gotten two conflicting answers to this Question.
cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 09:48 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Are the gas springs suppose to hold the bed up to access the storage compartment? I have gotten two conflicting answers to this Question.
Old 02-09-2007, 11:52 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

They should be sufficient to assist in raising the bed, and support it in the up position.

Our current rig works as above, but I have heard of problems with them losing their strength over time similar to the storage bay shocks.

Chris

Murfreesboro TN
The Clock Meister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 01:06 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Ours work as The Clock Meister has suggested. I do know some will loose their charge over time. We had an 85 Olds that used them to open and hold up the trunk lid. I can't count the number of time I gave blood or got a knot on the top of my head before I finally replaced them.
Most sizes are available at auto parts stores and cost $13.00 - $26.00 depending on the size.
Old 02-09-2007, 03:34 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

I want to thank everyone for their reply. My Sightseer was in for some major repairs and I explained the gas springs did not hold up the bed. Listed under correction on my work order "the bed must be fully up to hold the bed up". When I got home my wife as per instructions lifted the bed fully up in order to place some blankets in storage only to have it come down on her head. The dealer is now saying the gas spring are only to assist in lifting. I think they are covering up for the fact they should have replaced the gas springs.
Old 02-09-2007, 03:58 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

I've had two Fleetwoods (9 years) and the current Winnebago (3 years) all with under bed storage. The gas struts do assist in lifting the bed but they definitely hold the bed up. I've never had to use any kind of prop when under the bed and we use it all the time for storage. That dealer is definitely jerking your leg, keep after him to replace them especially if still under warranty.
Wagonmaster2
2004 Meridian 36G
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 04:43 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

We have replaced our OEM mattress with a memory foam matress which adds weight to the bed. Our gas springs will still hold the bed up. However, I still use a wooden stick to keep it open when we are in that space....just in case.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 06:18 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Ours held up the bed fun until we put on a Costco Memory Foam topper. It still holds it up, mostly, but I block it to be safe too.
Y-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote