Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-11-2020, 04:52 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

20VJ lithium battery issue

I have had some problems with my Lithium batteries overcharging. A mobile tech came out and made some changes to the controller but I am not sure exactly what he did. I put my rig in storage 3 weeks ago plugged into 110 power to keep the batteries charged. I also left the batteries on with the refrigerator on (long story). Anyway, I go check the batteries regularly and one of them is completely charged but the other is slowly losing power. It always reads idle state but in the three weeks it has consistently lost power and now it is at 92percent. It is like the battery is not being drawn on and is also not being charged, like it is disconnected from the system entirely. I will try to talk to the tech but is it possible he did something to remove the battery from the system? If it was being drawn on with no charging it would be much lower. Could he have made a change so it gets a slower recharge so the recharge is slightly less than the draw? Honestly these techs no nothing about the lithos. Any insight would be helpful. Thanks!
Dmarcian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 05:49 PM   #2
Site Team

It's pretty important that you learn about these things on your own without needing to call a RV Tech. It's really not rocket science.

We don't know what batteries you have. What charger you're using. Nor what kind of fridge (RV or compressor).

I would never put an RV in "Storage" with the fridge on unless the RV was at my house and I could oversee the operation daily.

Tell us the answers to those questions and perhaps we'll be able to help you better understand your systems.
Old 11-11-2020, 07:25 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Probably the Winnebago factory installed Lithionics system. Some general operating info and maintenance suggestions on page 6-12 in the 2020 View OM.
My question would be, how do/did you know they were overcharging? Most top end lithium batteries have a built in BMS that strictly prevents that from happening. What told you they were bypassing their own BMS? Lithionics batteries are top end and have overcharging prevention technology built into the BMS.
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 10:11 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

[objectionable content removed]
Winterbagoal - frequently over the summer during 13000 miles of driving I got 000401 codes on the Bluetooth indicating cell and battery overcharging. I spoke with Xantrex about this and they responded that Wbgo has received numerous calls about this condition.
Old 11-12-2020, 06:37 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

My system doesn't have Bluetooth or an app, it's just 2 Relions where the factory NAPAs used to be.
Assuming there's nothing wrong with the Xantrex inverter/charger (sounds like they're pointing the finger at Winnebago), the next points of contact (for me) wouldi be the mobile tech (to fnd out exactly what he/she did to your system), then Lithionics to get their take on it, then Winnebago, to see what others have reported and to see if there's a resolution. Also, knowing smartphones a little bit, I'd be suspicious of the Bluetooth app itself, as these things are rarely 100% functional with all phones, and all IOS/Android software levels. Maybe the app is reporting false or misleading error codes.
Just some more speculation.
Old 11-12-2020, 07:11 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I recently moved and have been very busy since putting the V in storage. When I first noticed the battery drain issue I spoke with a tech at Lithionics and went through the entire over charging experience. He told me they have had quite a few calls with the same issue and that Wbgo was aware of it. He that since it is a new system for Wbgo I should give them a few weeks to work on the problem. I am going to speak with the mobile tech to understand what he did. I also spoke to Wbgo directly and went through all of my battery issues so that is in my file. He told me to take it to the dealer which I have not had time to do and it takes weeks to get an appointment. As regards to the ap I may go over today and reset both batteries to see if the readout changes. Thanks for the constructive thoughts.
Old 11-12-2020, 07:25 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmarcian View Post
I recently moved and have been very busy since putting the V in storage. When I first noticed the battery drain issue I spoke with a tech at Lithionics and went through the entire over charging experience. He told me they have had quite a few calls with the same issue and that Wbgo was aware of it. He that since it is a new system for Wbgo I should give them a few weeks to work on the problem. I am going to speak with the mobile tech to understand what he did. I also spoke to Wbgo directly and went through all of my battery issues so that is in my file. He told me to take it to the dealer which I have not had time to do and it takes weeks to get an appointment. As regards to the ap I may go over today and reset both batteries to see if the readout changes. Thanks for the constructive thoughts.
When you install these systems, with so many potential single points of failure, it makes the troubleshooting more comlex and time consuming. Good advice from Lithionics to give WBGO some time to figure it out.
Regarding the app, it could be something as simple as clearing the cache for it in your phone to refresh it. I've tried this with other apps, sometimes it works, but not always. If there's a connection procedure to get it to talk to the batteries, maybe try redoing that. Sometimes, uninstalling and reinstalling helps, but again, not always.
Old 11-12-2020, 09:41 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

I've had the same problem on my 2020 View with with factory Lithionics.

Only way I knew was to bluetooth into the batteries and see that condition.

What I've discovered is that if you have the xantrex inverter/charger profile doesn't like the custom setting. Not sure who programmed your xantrex. I programmed mine to custom because the factory had it set at AGM. The reason I picked custom is that Lithionics spec sheet says it likes to be float charged at 13.4 but the default lithium charge in the xantrex is 13.6. I switched to the default and the problem went away.

Also if you had the amp L start installed, that will not work well when you are driving. It will start making a clicking. A while different topic so hope the first section I wrote helps you.
crah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 11:57 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Lithium batteries are best stored at 80% and not kept on a battery maintainer or trickle charger as one would do with AGM or FLAT batteries. The lithium have a much slower rate of discharge and can go months and still retain much of their charge state. They are also not going to be used to start the engine of the RV. I would trickle charge the chassis batteries and leave the lithium coach/house batteries completely disconnected.
Elkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 07:02 AM   #10
Restoring a 1991 40ft DXL

Elkman, that's the best information and advice yet.
Old 11-19-2020, 09:31 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

The Navion we bought has a disconnect switch for the house batteries and initially I had not given it much thought. However, there can be parasitic loads on the house batteries even when evrerything is supposed to be off and over time can drain the battery bank.

One big advantage of solar panels and a solar charge controller is that even a single 100W panel can compensate for parasitic or other demand on the battery bank.With lithium phosate batteries I would still be inclined to disconnect the house batteries when the RV was not in use.
Old 12-02-2020, 12:10 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

The new Xantrex 2080 model has a setting for lithium phosate batteries so there is no need to use a custom User setting with the new RVs.

After seeing the slapdash installation of the Zamp solar panels and wiring done by Winnebago on my 2021 Navion and the improper installation of the Winegard done by the tech at Guaranty RV, I would recommend checking the settings for the Zamp and the Xantrex on your RV to verify that they are correct.

As you have Lithionics batteries I would go directly to Lithionics for support. I have found them to be very responsive and their people to be smart and very helpful.
Old 12-02-2020, 12:50 PM   #13
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkman View Post
Lithium batteries are best stored at 80% and not kept on a battery maintainer or trickle charger as one would do with AGM or FLAT batteries. The lithium have a much slower rate of discharge and can go months and still retain much of their charge state. They are also not going to be used to start the engine of the RV. I would trickle charge the chassis batteries and leave the lithium coach/house batteries completely disconnected.
I contacted Battle Born directly after reading your recommendation of storing at 80%, and they said their recommendation for their batteries is to be fully charged when stored.

Perhaps but true for all lithium batteries, but for theirs at least, apparently, it is.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DE465E99-6527-4752-9F0B-4C28EAF7AF4B.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	144.5 KB
ID:	176064  

Tags
battery