Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-01-2020, 01:11 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

20VJ side entry door.

Hearing of lots of problems with the new and “improved” side entry doors. Mine makes a sound every 10 minutes or so like the locking mechanism is being engaged but it does not actually lock the door. I notice more on generator power as opposed to shore power. Maybe the slight vibration from the generator engages a door sensor of some sort. Anyway, I have also heard that this problem can be fixed with a door adjustment. Can anyone confirm this?
Dmarcian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 05:03 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmarcian View Post
Hearing of lots of problems with the new and “improved” side entry doors. Mine makes a sound every 10 minutes or so like the locking mechanism is being engaged but it does not actually lock the door. I notice more on generator power as opposed to shore power. Maybe the slight vibration from the generator engages a door sensor of some sort. Anyway, I have also heard that this problem can be fixed with a door adjustment. Can anyone confirm this?
What I've discovered is that if you use the key fob and enter through the side door and lock the doors with the key fob I get the intermittent mechanism engagement. Not sure why. Now keep the cab doors locked and use the key to lock and unlock the side door. Then I don't get the intermittent loco engagement.

Not a solution you are looking for but I dont think it's the door contact. (For my 2020 24D). It has something to so with the key fob integration.
crah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 05:08 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Interesting. I will try it. I have heard of quite a few others with the same problem.
Old 07-02-2020, 06:14 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

The problem appears to be with the sprinter auto-lock mechanism - and noticeable because the coach door makes a click when locked or unlocked.

The manual doesn't say anything about fixing this...

This is an obvious issue, and one Winnebago should note in their documentation, since it impacts all of their Sprinter-based vehicles...
rprochnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 07:57 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

2020 24D auto-lock problem

Our 24D has the same problem that sometimes turns into the door actually locking. Always carry a key (not fob) with you. Also, have had the doors lock by pressing the seat control button, open/close the cab windows, or the drivers overhead light - this is when the RV is stopped, turned off, and you are setting up, rotating the passenger seat, or just about anytime is wants to. Another problem was the steps coming up on their own while you are set up.
Winnebago's service center has corrective procedures that they will pass on to your Mercedes dealer so the MB technician can go into the Sprinter's PSM and do changes. The step issue has been resolved on our unit, but the door locking/clicking hasn't been resolved after two trys by the MB tech.
Winnebago wants the MB tech to call the customer service/service center and do a walk thru of the "code change" (or whatever they do). But the MB tech makes the call and is put into the answering que waiting for the WGO tech. Well, that doesn't go so well with the MB tech that has a 25 foot motorhome sitting in he bay. The next effort by WGO was to send a EMail to our MB dealer. We have gone thru that twice (at four month intervals) and still no luck.
It appears that the electrical/mechanical changes that the new Sprinter VS30 have not been correctly interfaced by WGO. Ours is a early unit and I know that WGO is well aware of the different issues because the work arounds have been created.
Our workaround is - if you are outside the unit and closing all the doors, make sure you have a key in your pocket. Also tell the service tech at the dealer (RV dealer or MB) not to leave the keys inside.
But we are winning the battle - we have 91 days of RVing and the RV/MB dealers have had it 62, but there are two more appointments starting next week. And my wife wonders why I can it the "Hanger Queen".
oppositelock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 12:43 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Wow, sounds like a pain. Hopefully our problem is handled by using the key to open the side entry door as Crah suggested. I have noticed that the chassis only recognizes a key if he fob is used to unlock the cab doors. I have used the key on the side entry door and when I tried to start it the chassis gave me a no key recognized warning. Sitting in the driver’s seat I fobbed open the doors and then I had no problem starting the motor. Weird. I also have not noticed the clicking sound when on shore power, only when on the gen set. No sure why that would be and it could be just my imagination.

Tags
door