Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-28-2024, 09:46 PM   #21
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverbend View Post
How does the 210aH handle the fridge, assuming it's the 12 volt model?
Several years ago, I ran a test with the OEM 200w of solar, OEM solar controller, and the Li replacement batteries to check the 12v fridge. Using only solar, I turned the fridge on Wednesday. Loaded tap water in ice trays in the freezer and tap water in a pitcher in the fridge on Thursday. In a couple of hours, the ice cubes were frozen and the pitcher cold. Left the fridge on just on solar until Monday and the ice was still frozen despite cloudy weather on Saturday and Sunday. On Monday PM we loaded the fridge and freezer for our trip, then left on Tuesday AM with the ice cream still frozen solid.

Now with 450w of solar, we never worry about the fridge staying cold. Unlike our two previous RVs with propane-120vac fridges, we never turn the fridge off when driving, refueling, or even on car ferries where they seal the propane tank. And our ice cream NEVER THAWS like it did with the other RV fridges. We will never go back to an RV with an adsorption fridge despite our many nights boondocking and dry camping!

PS--I'm a retired engineer, so I always want to know the limits of any equipment I buy.
Fanrgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2024, 10:23 PM   #22
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob94lr View Post
. . . I need 2 starting and 4 coach AGMs. Where is the best most cost friendly place to buy these. Online? Store? I would appreciate a few suggestions. Thanks, Bob
As I mentioned above, our drop-in replacement Li batteries for our Navion 24V came from Costco. With the cost of Li having come down in the past several years since ours were purchased, today's price difference between AGM and Li is not that different. If I needed to replace two chassis batts and 4 house batts, I would buy two AGMs and 4 Lis. The AGMs will start the RV then recharge from the alternator, regardless of outside temps, especially if you have (or need) a block heater. And, although the Lis can't be charged below 32 degrees, they can still be discharged (used for a load) below freezing. Plus 4 Lis will weigh half as much as AGMs, so you might gain 150# of added CCC!

Instead of being discharged only down to 50% of capacity without potential damage for AGMs, the Lis can be discharged to 90% or even occasionally to 100% without damage. Although some people recommend repeated discharges to only 80%, mine have been discharged to 100% twice and I have seen no impact on later charging or discharging. In addition, Lis can be recharged much faster with higher voltages than AGMs. Compare current prices of AGMs vs. Lis on Amazon, then compare them at local Costco, Sam's/Walmart, auto parts, and sporting goods stores (Li batteries are very popular for trolling motors due to their weight and discharge capacity),
Old 01-29-2024, 02:50 AM   #23
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob94lr View Post
On the subject of batteries: The last service on my coach the service department killed all 6 of my batteries. There is no chance of recovery. I need 2 starting and 4 coach AGMs. Where is the best most cost friendly place to buy these. Online? Store? I would appreciate a few suggestions. Thanks, Bob
Not sure if you'd interested LiFePo batteries for the coach side, but the one's being offered from Epoch have sure caught my eye. They're heated with Bluetooth and happen to be on sale for a few weeks yet. My research lately has been focused entirely on lithium, so I could offer no help towards AGM. Except I will have 2 of them for sale!
Riverbend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2024, 03:36 AM   #24
Winnebago Owner

I looked at those Epoch 12v 100Ah LiFePO4 batteries on their website and WOW! What a great price for a heated, Bluetooth-enabled, lithium RV battery! Those would be perfect for the OEM "under-step" battery box location on the View-Navion twins. You could just drop two in to replace the AGMs and never worry about temperature effects again. Since we snowbird in AZ and NM, I would never take them out any time of the year. I could even monitor them at home from my recliner since we store the MH next to house. But I hopefully won't need new Li batteries for another 10 years and, by then, my wife or sons may have decided that 88 is too old for a drivers license, much less driving a MH!

That Epoch sale just shows how much Li RV battery technology has improved and how much lower the price is compared to the $650 ours cost only 3 years ago.
Old 01-29-2024, 04:03 AM   #25
Winnebago Owner

There's a YouTube video of a member here swapping his OEM's for the Epoch 300aH in his Navion. It's a really well done video, and I might just opt for the extra 90aH. I'll make sure to measure twice before I attempt it, and will want to reinforce/enclose the OEM battery box first, but he said he only had to temporarily remove the fuses to get the battery in.
Old 01-29-2024, 02:04 PM   #26
Winnebago Owner

Two Group 31 Renogy 12v 100Ah AGM batteries weigh 130#. One 12v 300Ah Epoch lithium battery with its own internal heater weighs 58#. So I'm not sure reinforcing or enclosing the step box is even necessary, especially if the Epoch fit is already tight.

But adding 300Ah in the same space that I have 210Ah sounds like a great deal! Especially if one 300 Ah currently costs <$100 more than 2 105Ah. That's a lot more power for a small price difference.
Old 01-29-2024, 02:32 PM   #27
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanrgs View Post
So I'm not sure reinforcing or enclosing the step box is even necessary, especially if the Epoch fit is already tight.
It's not a weight issue... the stock box is open to the elements on the sides.
Old 01-29-2024, 03:22 PM   #28
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
It's not a weight issue... the stock box is open to the elements on the sides.
The OP stated that he might reinforce the box, so he apparently considered the weight of a 300Ah Epoch battery a potential problem. I know the box is open on the sides because I have two lithium batteries in one. But I have not enclosed it despite having unheated batteries and living in Colorado. The batteries worked well even in 17 degree nighttime temps and snow 2.5 weeks ago at Kartchner Caverns SP in Benson, AZ. They can be discharged at those temps, just not recharged. However, the BMS in my batts have controlled recharge without any intervention on my part.

In the current (2020-24) View/Navion, lithium batteries can be just drop-in replacements for the OEM AGMs. All of the other parts of the 12v system are already lithium compatible, just needing some changes to the factory settings of the solar controller and Xantrex inverter-converter-charger. That's all I have done, except adding more solar, and the system has been functioning perfectly for 3 years!

PS--my 12v fridge, much maligned by those without one, has also worked perfectly off my solar for 3 years. No melted ice cream or spoiled milk in 90 degree weather even when the air conditioner quit! We will never go back to a propane fridge.
Old 01-29-2024, 06:43 PM   #29
Winnebago Owner

I'm aware, and thankful, for the weight savings going to Lithium. By reinforcing I meant enclosing and perhaps adding some insulation. Michigan gets cold, plus we live 2-1/2 miles off any paved roads, so dirt and debris is a huge issue. Just kicked the tires on it, and it's definitely coming home with us!
Old 01-29-2024, 08:52 PM   #30
Winnebago Owner

If I lived that far off a paved road, I would do the same thing. I just don't need it living on a paved cul-d-sac with a 25' driveway and pea gravel storage pad next to my garage. Plus having the MH in southern AZ when it got to -17 in Denver several weeks ago!

Tags
view