Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-28-2020, 11:06 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Unhappy 2021 View 24D OCCC = 811

First post. I was able to find the subject unit only 20 minutes from my house (it apparently came in this weekend). It remains my top choice as I narrow down options for a purchase next year. The openness is great and I think it would fit the needs of my DW and me.

This unit came with the theater recliners. I was thinking I wanted a dinette given the murphy bed sofa, but the recliners are really, really nice. The included factory options included full body paint, diesel generator and leveling jacks.

I know there are lots of threads about OCCC and almost as many about leveling jacks, but with that option package the yellow sticker is OCCC = 811. It also quantifies the fresh water tank as weighing 249 lbs full.

So taking 811 - 249 - 310 (passenger weight) we're left with 252 lbs. for the rest of the payload. We're planning a 1 month trip so now I'm quite concerned.

We've seen the ridiculous OCCC of other units, but this puts it in perspective for me.

My assumption is the leveling jacks are the major culprit bringing the OCCC down from ~1,000 to 811, but also perhaps the diesel gen as well as the full body paint?

While certainly not back to square 1, this remains the likely go to unit for us. As with many others, are the jacks worth it? Maybe not today from an age standpoint, but they will be more and more important as each year passes.

Thought I would share.
tgoulart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 12:14 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgoulart View Post
First post. I was able to find the subject unit only 20 minutes from my house (it apparently came in this weekend). It remains my top choice as I narrow down options for a purchase next year. The openness is great and I think it would fit the needs of my DW and me.

This unit came with the theater recliners. I was thinking I wanted a dinette given the murphy bed sofa, but the recliners are really, really nice. The included factory options included full body paint, diesel generator and leveling jacks.

I know there are lots of threads about OCCC and almost as many about leveling jacks, but with that option package the yellow sticker is OCCC = 811. It also quantifies the fresh water tank as weighing 249 lbs full.

So taking 811 - 249 - 310 (passenger weight) we're left with 252 lbs. for the rest of the payload. We're planning a 1 month trip so now I'm quite concerned.

We've seen the ridiculous OCCC of other units, but this puts it in perspective for me.

My assumption is the leveling jacks are the major culprit bringing the OCCC down from ~1,000 to 811, but also perhaps the diesel gen as well as the full body paint?

While certainly not back to square 1, this remains the likely go to unit for us. As with many others, are the jacks worth it? Maybe not today from an age standpoint, but they will be more and more important as each year passes.

Thought I would share.
The QD3200 diesel generator at 205 lbs, only weighs around 30 lbs more than the QG3600 LP propane one at 176 lbs. A set of after market Bigfoot leveling jacks for our 2018 Navion 24V would add 150 lbs, but they would also remove 100 lbs of our rear stabilizers, so a net add of 50 lbs. In hindsight we shouldn't have got the stabilizers as we have yet to deploy them.
The 2021 cab over bunk which isn't optional, adds about 150 lbs or more of overall weight, which is why we don't have one. In 2018 when we ordered our unit, it was deletable, and we did. Also the Alcoa wheels are lighter than the regular steel rims, if that's still an option. We got them.
Another aspect of the 24D that probably adds the most weight, is the full wall slide. They are just heavier.
Our OCCC was around 1350 lbs and it's manageable there.
I'm not sure what else adds weight to that model, but it usually has the lowest OCCC of the product group.
You can reduce the coach weight by going with the lithium battery option over the AGMs. They weigh about half of what lead acid batteries weigh. You could save up to 40 lbs, as a guess. If the budget can handle it?
The water is one of the main culprits. Most folks run with black and gray empty, and fresh at 1/3 to 2/3 full. When you're parked it's less of an issue.
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 06:49 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

We purchased our 2021 View 24D in June.

Factory installed options: full body paint and diesel generator. OCCC was 1036. GVWR is 11030.

We had the following options added: HWH jacks, jack pads, TPMS, rear metal valve stems, Winegard WiFi booster, WeBoost cell booster, hardwired surge protector, 2 additional residential style solar panels, AMP-L-START, and lithium batteries.

Out of those options, the HWH jacks and pads and the solar panels added noticeable weight. After the jacks were installed, the stabilizers were removed, recovering some weight. The lithium batteries also recovered some weight since they're lighter.

We haven't (yet) weighed our 21VD to determine the empty weight with all of the options added. The GAWR for front is 4410 and rear is 7720.

It's likely many owners are exceeding GVWR - especially if towing a vehicle, since the hitch weight of the towed vehicle is included in OCCC.

Though... if the vehicle is only 100-200 pounds overweight, that's still a pretty small percentage of the vehicle weight limit...

Before driving, we always check our TPMS to verify we are close to the recommended tire pressure. The TPMS monitors the tire pressure and warns us if the pressure gets too high or low while driving - and when we get a high pressure warning, we immediately slow down or pull over and let the tires cool. If we are slightly exceeding the OCCC, the TPMS should provide us some protection from getting a blowout while driving at highway speeds.
rprochnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 08:25 AM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by rprochnow View Post
We purchased our 2021 View 24D in June.

Factory installed options: full body paint and diesel generator. OCCC was 1036. GVWR is 11030.

We had the following options added: HWH jacks, jack pads, TPMS, rear metal valve stems, Winegard WiFi booster, WeBoost cell booster, hardwired surge protector, 2 additional residential style solar panels, AMP-L-START, and lithium batteries.

Out of those options, the HWH jacks and pads and the solar panels added noticeable weight. After the jacks were installed, the stabilizers were removed, recovering some weight. The lithium batteries also recovered some weight since they're lighter.

We haven't (yet) weighed our 21VD to determine the empty weight with all of the options added. The GAWR for front is 4410 and rear is 7720.

It's likely many owners are exceeding GVWR - especially if towing a vehicle, since the hitch weight of the towed vehicle is included in OCCC.

Though... if the vehicle is only 100-200 pounds overweight, that's still a pretty small percentage of the vehicle weight limit...

Before driving, we always check our TPMS to verify we are close to the recommended tire pressure. The TPMS monitors the tire pressure and warns us if the pressure gets too high or low while driving - and when we get a high pressure warning, we immediately slow down or pull over and let the tires cool. If we are slightly exceeding the OCCC, the TPMS should provide us some protection from getting a blowout while driving at highway speeds.
Thanks very much; this is excellent information. It would be interesting to see the weight now as you have outfitted your 24D in almost the same way I have envisioned mine once we move forward.

Since the leveling jack are factory installed, they couldn't have left on the stabilizers too, could they?
tgoulart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 09:32 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

HWH jacks were part of our purchase, but due to parts, we had to drive from Lichtsinn to the HWH factory for installation. On our next visit to Lichtsinn (to install the lithium batteries, which were also delayed due to part shortage), we had them remove the stabilizers, since they were no longer needed and just dead weight.

At some point, we may want to get the weight, though it would be difficult to determine the updated OCCC - we would need to fill up the fuel tank, empty the fresh/gray/black tanks, fill the LP tank, remove all of the items we typically take in the RV and have noone inside the RV. Or, we could measure when we're loaded with typical items - and see where we stand on the weight.
Old 10-04-2020, 10:00 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

My Sprinter based RV has a similar payload as the OP's. I took it to a CAT scale with a full tank of water, full fuel tank and everything loaded as we travel and we were about 200 lbs over the max weight. What I did notice was that the individual axle weights were both well below the allowed maximum.

I am in no way suggesting that you should exceed the max allowable weight, for myself it gives me some piece of mind that I am OK as far as the individual axle weights are concerned. I am also assuming that their is a safety margin as far as max total weight is concerned.

As far as the auto level system, it was convenient in our Sightseer. Our current RV just has the rear stabilizers which work fine to keep it stable once leveled. Leveling takes about 5 minutes and I have no problem doing it at 63 years old.

Retired "Quiet Professional". Lifetime HSUS and ASPCA member and supporter.
71_340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 07:30 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Since we don't tow with a vehicle for local driving, the amount of time required to setup and then tear down is more important.

Using auto level definitely makes it easier to pack up and leave - and then come back... The entire process of leveling, opening the slide and connecting to shore power takes only a few minutes.

Plus other than the wheel chocks, we don't need to bring anything extra for leveling, saving some of the exterior storage space.