Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2020, 02:35 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

2021 24D TV Upgrade

We quickly discovered the stock 32" TV can't be heard while the A/C is running, plus it's not a "smart" TV, requiring another device to access streaming services.

So our first DIY upgrade was to replace the stock TV with a 32" Samsung 4K Smart TV.

Removing the stock TV wasn't too difficult, except for carefully pealing it of the paste on the two side support brackets.

Unfortunately, the Samsung TV we purchased has the VESA mount points higher on the back, plus unlike the stock TV, the back is completely flat so spacers are needed to get any VESA mount to work.

We purchased a small VESA wall mount bracket and attached that to the back of the TV. Rather than trying to figure out a way to screw that bracket into the existing bracket or surrounding wood, we used heavy duty zip ties to secure the new mounting bracket to the frame and existing mounting bracket.

This caused the TV to tilt downward slightly - which is actually better for viewing, but means the TV doesn't align with the two brackets on either side of the cabinet - so a spacer was added at the top of each bracket to eliminate wobbling.

Using zip ties made the installation very easy, and provided the ability to position the TV vertically to the height we wanted.

And once it was hooked up - we now have better picture, louder audio, streaming apps, plus 4K video...

While we can now hear the audio over the A/C, it's still possible we'll later add a soundbar - especially if we can come up with an easy way to wireless rear surround speakers...
rprochnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 03:07 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Got a picture? I've never noticed the TV being drowned out by the A/C.
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 03:40 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Are these zip ties in a place where you can monitor how they hold up to the wear of bouncing on the road? I find they tend to wear through on things like tying up hoses to metal supports in the storage bins.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 04:35 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
Are these zip ties in a place where you can monitor how they hold up to the wear of bouncing on the road? I find they tend to wear through on things like tying up hoses to metal supports in the storage bins.
Running the cable ties through some sort of harder grommet or sleeve to mitigate that wear, might have been a good idea.
Old 06-23-2020, 04:55 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

I've probably over-engineered the zip ties - each tie is supposed to be strong enough to hold the entire weight of the TV (less than 12 lbs).

And at each mounting point, I've placed 2 or 3 ties.

So I'm pretty confident it's going to stay in place.

And because the back of the cabinet door is visible every time I get in the cabinet, if any of the ties does get loose, I'll have enough warning to either replace the tie or upgrade to something more permanent.

Using the zip ties made the installation simple - with one person helping to hold the TV in position and then the other attaching a few zip ties to the back of the door.
Old 06-24-2020, 08:52 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rprochnow View Post
I've probably over-engineered the zip ties - each tie is supposed to be strong enough to hold the entire weight of the TV (less than 12 lbs).

And at each mounting point, I've placed 2 or 3 ties.

So I'm pretty confident it's going to stay in place.

And because the back of the cabinet door is visible every time I get in the cabinet, if any of the ties does get loose, I'll have enough warning to either replace the tie or upgrade to something more permanent.

Using the zip ties made the installation simple - with one person helping to hold the TV in position and then the other attaching a few zip ties to the back of the door.
Congrats on the new rig. We really enjoy our Winnie.

Love to see pics of the set-up. Re AC white noise, it is hard to hear just about anything with the unit running. Hopefully, the new Samsung has better speakers system. Re smart TV, we just added an older AppleTV and that solved that problem while allowing the kids to stream content from their phones to the tv as well, but only a suitable option if you are in the Apple environment.
Old 06-24-2020, 09:03 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

With the stock TV, at 100% volume, we couldn't hear dialogue clearly with the AC running on LO.

With the new TV, the sound was fine when set to 75-80% and the AC running.

We have Samsung phones and tablets, so we can easily stream audio/video from mobile devices to the TV, plus we can add a Chromecast if we want to stream from our laptops. And we still have the option of running video over HDMI.

And the TV has all of the streaming apps we are using built-in - Netflix, Prime Video, Vudu, Hulu, Disney+, Plex, ... We have the WiFi configured to use our Winegard Connect 2.0 - which we can then shift to shore WiFi or a hotspot.

Will post pictures after I pull the RV out of storage today.

Looking forward to our first vacation with the RV next week...
Old 06-24-2020, 11:34 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Some images of the installation into our 2021 24D:

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200624_115851_resized.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	137.6 KB
ID:	174031

Name:	20200624_115812_resized.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	184.7 KB
ID:	174032

Name:	20200624_115800_resized.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	216.8 KB
ID:	174033

When I was planning the install, I was hoping to add a small tilt downward for the TV, to provide a better viewing angle, and that turned out to be the easiest way to mount the TV.

NOTE the stock TV has the VESA mounts in the middle while the Samsung TV we installed has the mounts about 2/3 way up the back.
Old 06-28-2020, 06:26 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Tv

We have a 2020 24d, it’s sad that as cheap as tv’s are Winnebago couldn’t put a smart tv in. Tells you something about the company, I guess they spent all their money buying Newmar.
Smbuddy46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 06:32 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Maybe they didn't want Google spying on you while you saunter around your rig at night in your jammies?
Old 06-28-2020, 07:22 PM   #11
bkg
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
We quickly discovered the stock 32" TV can't be heard while the A/C is running.

While we can now hear the audio over the A/C, it's still possible we'll later add a soundbar - especially if we can come up with an easy way to wireless rear surround speakers...
Does the newer model View come with the Jensen JWM70A or similar?
In my 2019 model, the main TV can output audio to the Jensen JWM70A which pushes sound out to the speakers independant zones A, B, & C. Zone A is the overcab ceiling speakers, Zone B is the speakers in the sitting area and the rear, and Zone C are the outside speakers.

When watching anything streamed to the main TV I just select the AUX input on the Jensen and sound fills the coach.
When playing DVD's through the Jensen, is does the same. Night and day difference playing audio just from the TV versus through the Jensen.

Grant it, the Jensen is not my ideal system. I've been looking for an upgrade but not a lot of options out there that can meet the capabilities of the Jensen JWM70A.

Bobby
Old 06-28-2020, 07:43 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

The 2020/2021 View/Navion do not have a sound system, only the TV (which was a pretty basic ATYME 32" non-smart TV).

So we are relying 100% on the TV speakers for sound. The audio is more than loud enough on the TV we purchased to hear over the air conditioner (which is located directly in front of the TV in the 24D).

Might consider adding a sound bar at some point, though we'd probably need one that didn't use a subwoofer - and had wireless rear speakers that were rechargeable (like the JBL Bar 9.1) or powered by 12V or 110V using an inverter plugged into the 12V over the dinette.

But for now, we get reasonable stereo sound out of the TV and great picture plus 4K streaming...
Old 06-28-2020, 08:34 PM   #13
bkg
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
The 2020/2021 View/Navion do not have a sound system, only the TV (which was a pretty basic ATYME 32" non-smart TV).

So we are relying 100% on the TV speakers for sound.
Wow, that's a bummer. I really appreciate the zone audio setup, even if delivered via ill-performing Jensen.
Old 06-28-2020, 08:58 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

Within the small space inside the RV, not expecting to match the sound we get with our home 11.2 Dolby Atmos sound system...

At least with the 24D, doesn't appear to be an obvious place to put a subwoofer. Best we may be able to do is get a soundbar that can do Dolby surround sound with wireless rear speakers.

Though the picture quality on the TV more than makes up for the sound...
Old 06-28-2020, 10:12 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Congratulation on your new TV. I am not sure if I would use zip ties to install a TV, doesn't seem very safe to me considering the jars and jolts the TV experiences while driving. Maybe I just overly cautious.

Retired "Quiet Professional". Lifetime HSUS and ASPCA member and supporter.
71_340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 05:26 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

The TV only weighs around 10 lbs and the zip ties are rated to hold at least 50 lbs each -and there are multiple ties holding the top (5 ties) and the bottom (4 ties) of the frame mount to the original mount.

I'm not too concerned, though if any of the ties do break (since this is on a door that accesses the electronics behind the TV, it is opened periodically), I can either add some fresh ties, or add a metal safety strap that will ensure that even if all of the zip ties broke, the strap would keep the TV from falling.

I've probably already over-engineered the mount with the number of ties being used...
Old 06-29-2020, 06:25 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Congrats on the new TV and for anyone that says they can hear the TV over the AC must be standing up with their ear facing the TV. I've been looking to replace my TV, please tell me your model and what you paid for it. Also I need bluetooth capabilities so send the audio to my JBL charge 4 speaker.

I'm leaning towards a Furrion 12V TV 32" LED RV TV with built in stereo sound bar. It's not a smart TV but I have a ROKU. The darn thing is a bit over 400 bucks so I'm still looking. Not sure if I want to pay that much.

Winnebago Dan 20J
DKDaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 07:33 AM   #18
RJ2
Winnebago Camper

Bad move Winnebago

We went to upgrade our 2016 24j at RV show and I was amazed , the new views did not have surround system or the , incredible front window shade system that set them apart from others . We opted to keep our 2016, until they realise there Huge mistake . If somebody got a bonus for that blunder ,
Winnebago is probably going in the wrong direction , for sure.
Yes, the Tv sound Is weak with AC on low even ,
But with the surround system on the tv is just the front channel and works out well .
The only complaint I had was the sound system
Remote sensor eye , points to the front. When setting on sofa, had to stick a little mirror To use remote from side.
Be real surprised if they don’t readdress these 2 negative issues , they had already solved once, in the upcoming models .
RJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 07:59 AM   #19
RJ2
Winnebago Camper

The 3rd not so good Blunder upgrade.

I totally forgot got about one of the most serious mistakes WB made was the roll out screen door .
I can’t think of to many camp grounds you can leav screen open and these are a pain , not heavy duty , and if you take a dog with you , absolutely useless .
No bottom panel or any strength to screen . At the RV show I saw people that only got that far in, before turning around Leaving and looking for a better thought out unit.
The door lock squeaking issue might have been solved , only to a larger negative issue.
RJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 08:31 AM   #20
Winnebago Owner

I see for the new Views, there is a BluRay DVD and Sound Bar option. I still have the stock TV, added a Bose sound bar and my own DVD as well as a ROKU. I can hear the TV above the Air conditioner, stream our shows when we watch TV and watch the odd DVD if we want.

The Bose does add blue tooth so we can stream music as well. I would like a little screen tilt, but am very happy with the 24D overall. My buddy met up with us recently and after giving him the nickel tour, he's going to order one. himself. They currently have a 2016 View with the rear bed....

I'm thinking a subwoofer would be nice - the Bose that I got does NOT have th4 option for a wireless one, I had thought it did....

best,

Dave-oh
Dave-Oh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
upgrade