Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class B Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-19-2021, 07:48 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

How to prevent freeze ups

I have a 2018 Winnebago Era 170A and plan to be near Helen, GA this November through March where the average low temperatures range from 26 degrees to 34 degrees. While average high temperatures are over 50 degrees for that same period, I’m concerned about possible freezing of fresh, grey and black tanks/lines.

I will have full hookups, but wondering if anyone has spent long stretches of time in their Era under these conditions and what you did to prevent freeze ups?
RNumon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 09:29 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Dahlonega, Georgia which is the closest town I could find to Helena on Weatherspark.com has a 10% chance of hitting 22 degrees any day in January, so you can expect on average 3 days that cold. Helen looks like it may be colder because it looks like a bit higher. So there is definitely the chance of freezing your plumbing.

A lot depends on how your coach is plumbed. Mine has its fresh water tank above the floor under the bed so no worries there. It also has heating pads for the black and grey tanks. The dump lines are vulnerable and I would wrap them with a heat tape and plug into AC to protect them.

I suppose dumping all fresh water and waste and temporarily winterizing for the days it really gets cold is not an option. Another way assuming your tanks and plumbing is all exposed is to wrap a skirt painter's drop cloth or similar around the base of your coach and put a small space heater underneath. That should keep you above freezing even below 20.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 09:29 AM   #3
Site Team

Keep in mind that your RV's mass provides pretty complete thermal protection for mearly "cold" not arctic temps. Plus running your heater when you're cold will provide some more protection for your plumbing.

Any place you winter that sees occasional freezing temps for less than 36 hours and sees 40 degree and above days is not a serious freeze danger for your RV's pipes.

A forecast of 3 or more days of temps continuously below 30 degrees would be a worry but even in that case running your heater will probably be enough not to worry.

Those of us that live in the Hill Country of Texas see wintery weather most years. Occassional freezes here even reach below 20 degrees. But unless this is going to last for 3 or more days and never once get above freezing during the day we don't do anything more than set the furnace to run enough to keep the inside of the RV in the low 50's for those days.

If you're living in yours during the winter you no doubt will be using the furnace as a matter of course and those average temps shouldn't pose much risk of freezing.
Old 08-19-2021, 01:47 PM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

Thank you

Thanks to all who have replied to my inquiry. I also spoke to Winnebago who advised me that my unit has no freeze protection (heated pads under tanks, etc) and that water lines, dump hoses, tanks, pumps, etc. are not located in heated areas and would be subject to freezing. Have decided to look for winter harbor where freezing temps are no longer an issue. Thanks again.
RNumon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vent