Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class B Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-09-2021, 03:03 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

2022 Travato 59K Roof Vent Problem

We just picked up our new van and the Maxxair 8501K roof vent will not open. I tried all the buttons on the unit and everything on the remote. Anyone else run into the same problem? If so, was it resolved?
spuyear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 04:33 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

See if the cover is stuck to the seal around the opening

Quote:
Originally Posted by spuyear View Post
We just picked up our new van and the Maxxair 8501K roof vent will not open. I tried all the buttons on the unit and everything on the remote. Anyone else run into the same problem? If so, was it resolved?
Our 2016 Era has a MaxxAir 8500K fan. I don't know what's different with your 8501K fan but I'll assume (!) they are pretty similar.

When our fan is powered up it automatically raises the fan cover to the open position. About 6 months ago the fan cover no longer opened when we powered it on. There was power to the fan, the remote was working, etc.

Based on some web searches and YouTube videos I assumed (which you'll see was a bad thing to do) that the "gear box" (Winnebago terminology; I think MaxxAir calls it the "operator mechanism" or something like that) had failed, which seems to be a not uncommon occurrence with these fans. Tracking down a replacement was difficult, with several vendors (including Winnebago and Lichtsinn RV) out of them. I checked rvupgrades.com and they were not only in stock but considerably cheaper (around $12 vs. $35 or so elsewhere) so I ordered one. Looks like they've gone up a bit since then. This may or may not be the one that fits your fan.

https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Colem...-p/72-0851.htm

I started the replacement task from inside the RV by removing the fan screen (4 posts that turn) and the fan blades assembly (1 hex screw), figuring I'd have to get on the roof shortly. At that point I thought what they heck, why not trying opening it before I go any further. So I aimed the remote at the fan and tried to open it and it seemed like the fan was trying to open the vent but couldn't. I pushed on the fan cover from underneath and it opened like it was supposed to.

It appears the fan cover was simply stuck to the rubber seal around the opening. I cycled it a few times to confirm there was nothing wrong with the existing gear box. Based on some of the reviews / videos, I applied some rubber seal conditioner (a 3M product, other are available) to the rubber seal and cycled the fan a few more times. In the subsequent 6 months we've gone on 3 trips and the fan has worked without any issues.

So there was nothing wrong with the gear box and now I have a shiny new spare in my spare parts bin. It travels with the RV (as does a spare battery mode solenoid, another story) so we can replace it on the road, it I can get access to the roof. It gets too hot in the RV if the roof fan doesn't work.

If you have power and everything seems to be OK but the fan cover won't open, try removing the screen and the blades assembly, turning on the fan and giving the cover a gentle push. With any luck your fan cover is just sticking to the seal / box and it's a simple fix.

Let us know one way or the other. If it's something else it would be useful for us to know.
Old 07-09-2021, 08:17 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the speedy and thorough reply RV-Travelers! The wife and I are taking the new van on a brief overnight trip this weekend just to run everything through their paces. I will give your suggestion a try and then report back to the forum. Cheers!
Old 07-10-2021, 07:51 AM   #4
Site Team

Perhaps you can clarify the exact nature of your problem?

Does the cover simply not open but the fan runs?

The cover on my Maxxfan sometimes sticks when I turn it on. But it’s obviously just stuck in the caulking around the outside of the fan. When mine does this the fan starts and runs and the cover makes noise as it tries to open.

I interpreted your post to mean that nothing was happening when you turn on the fan. If that’s so, then it’s not a “stuck cover.”
Old 07-11-2021, 09:13 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

I should have been more clear. When I turn on the unit, the fan comes on and the knob automatically turns to try to open the vent. The knob stops rotating when it gets to its stop but the vent does not open. The fan stays running and can be made faster or slower via the buttons.
Old 07-11-2021, 10:44 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Potential issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by spuyear View Post
I should have been more clear. When I turn on the unit, the fan comes on and the knob automatically turns to try to open the vent. The knob stops rotating when it gets to its stop but the vent does not open. The fan stays running and can be made faster or slower via the buttons.
So the suspects appear to be, in no particular order...
  1. Stuck cover
  2. Inoperable gear box / operator mechanism
  3. Bad motor that drives the gear box

I'd start with the stuck cover premise since that's the easiest to check and deal with.

Since you said it's a new Travato you just picked up, any of the other potential issues should be addressed by the dealer under warranty. No reason for you to try to solve them.
Old 07-11-2021, 10:45 AM   #7
Site Team

That likely just means that your vent cover is stuck in some of the caulking around it.

You probably can get up on the roof and relieve that freeing the cover. You may be able to remove the inside screen and push the cover open from the inside (fan off of course).

Mine does this but only in hot weather when the caulking softens and so far has always opened on the second try.
Old 07-12-2021, 01:14 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Thanks all. It has been exceptionally hot so maybe it is just a stuck seal. I did not get a chance to check it out last weekend but plan on getting to it this week. I will post an update soon.
Old 07-12-2021, 01:37 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Are you into dummy ways to deal with it if it saves work?

There are times when our cover sticks just due to gunk which has collected around the cover edge when stored and it is not really any big thing to get it loose.

I always have a few pieces of soft copper wire like number 14 that can be shaped really easy to make a short bend at the top, push up through the screen and tapped on the cover to jar it just enough to break it free.

Saves taking the screen out to use a hand------if it works for your case!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 04:26 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

As others have indicated it sounds like the rubber seal is sticking to the plastic dome cover, which is not uncommon.

1. with no power activation to the fan, try turning the black knob CCW to attempt to get it unstuck.

2. if it won't budge, then remove the screen and push up on the cover while again turning the black knob CCW.

Hopefully this will do the trick.

Good luck!
bobcat66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 08:07 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Thank you all for your help. It indeed was a stuck lid. The rubber gasket around the base where the lid meets the base was super tacky. It took a few gentle pushes but it eventually broke loose. All is working as expected now. I just need to get some rubber treatment and I should be good to go for a while.

Thanks again!

Tags
roof, vent