Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-05-2023, 06:39 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Wineguard antenna problem? 2017 Tour 42QD

I’m currently in a campground in Naples, shore power is messed up, so, I’m on genny . They have cable, but I can’t watch cable unless the wineguard air antenna is off. It won’t shut off with pushing the on off button and I can’t find the fuse or breaker for it! Does anyone know how to shut this off ?2017 Winnebago tour 42QD
Thanks Phil
Winn17TourQD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2023, 08:47 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winn17TourQD View Post
I’m currently in a campground in Naples, shore power is messed up, so, I’m on genny . They have cable, but I can’t watch cable unless the wineguard air antenna is off. It won’t shut off with pushing the on off button and I can’t find the fuse or breaker for it! Does anyone know how to shut this off ?2017 Winnebago tour 42QD
Thanks Phil
On my OTA receptacle it has a fuse on the back, but it's 17 yrs older than yours. If no fuse, simply disconnect and insulate the 12V+ feed wire.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2023, 10:40 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Ray! Do you actually live in Indy?
Old 10-06-2023, 04:24 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

If your units OTA antennas outlet looks like a standard size electric wall plate, or close. Unscrew the unit from the wall and disconnect one of the 12v wires. I would wrape the disconnect wire in tape as to not bring on more problems.

Any RV store should have a replacement switching/power unit.
be happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2023, 04:58 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Thanks
Old 10-06-2023, 10:17 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winn17TourQD View Post
Thanks Ray! Do you actually live in Indy?
No, but I have spent time on the circle, I used to love walking around seeing all the window dressings for Christmas. The IN stands for Indiana and retired Infantry. I'm in the irv2..com thread for Indiana though, I'm part of the IU city.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2023, 07:53 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Yes , that didn’t work .. what did work was, when I took it off generator power. Then the switch worked normal. Go figure ! Thanks guys for trying to help!
Old 10-07-2023, 09:46 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

These mysteries are often way beyond what we can understand and generators can do some things we don't even know about!

So some thinking and looking might get closer to understanding what "might" have been going on? No warranty on pure guessing!
But I did do some work on Phantoms of this sort for a while. My big learning experience was that we may never know!

I see on the drawings that there may be an automatic function on some RV options for this amp.
Click these snips for better view of what I'm seeing?
Click image for larger version

Name:	amp1.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	117.2 KB
ID:	187494
Click image for larger version

Name:	amp2.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	237.3 KB
ID:	187495

Do you happen to know from any paper you got with the RV if you have one of these options? Or does the owners manual discuss the auto function of one?

What I might lean toward being the difference when on generator might be as simple as a generator which is putting out a signal that we don't know about. Kind of like a radio transmitter putting out a stray signal?
When we have automatic functions, it can get really messy at times if we get something nearby like a light that is putting out interference of some sort.

If you have the automatic option, possible the generator was telling it a different story?
And that generator signal may change with different weather or holding our mouth slightly different!

Sometimes I've thought "frequency" should be spelled "FREAKquency"!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna