Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2008, 04:22 AM   #1
GG1
Winnie-Wise

We have cable TV where we are staying. The picture has a lot of snow and is poor on all channels when in cable mode. When I switch to satellite the picture is perfect. All other functions are good ie: vcr crank up antenna all good. I have run a seperate line from the campground connection to an additional tv outside and it works good. Does Winnebago have a wireing diagram to show where the cable connections are and do the Wineguard switch boxes ever go bad?
Old 09-16-2008, 04:22 AM   #2
GG1
Winnie-Wise

We have cable TV where we are staying. The picture has a lot of snow and is poor on all channels when in cable mode. When I switch to satellite the picture is perfect. All other functions are good ie: vcr crank up antenna all good. I have run a seperate line from the campground connection to an additional tv outside and it works good. Does Winnebago have a wireing diagram to show where the cable connections are and do the Wineguard switch boxes ever go bad?
Old 09-16-2008, 04:31 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

GG1;

You did not say if you have a satellite antenna or not and if that works well on the satellite switch?

There may be a wrong connection on the back of your box. When you look on the back each cable input is marked.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 07:51 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Did you try tightening the Coax in the back of the Winegard where your Cable Coax comes into the Winegard? If that is tight and the other end is tight (check that one first), then you might have to run a new cable and that will not be easy.
Frank O.
Old 09-16-2008, 08:12 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

I had the box replaced under warranty and it still wasn't right. Took it back and they discovered it was wired wrong. They rewired the box and all is well.

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 03:50 PM   #6
GG1
Winnie-Wise

Petro;
The satellite works fine on all tv's front back & vcr, the vcr sends a good picture to all the tv's, also the connections on back of the wineguard have never been touched. Its the original box since 02.
Old 09-16-2008, 06:59 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

It probably is a loose coax F-connector on the switch or Cable Input in the rear. It is possibly a bad switch position, if so, your Aux position probably isn't being used and you could move Cable to Aux.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 07:27 PM   #8
iRV2 Marketing

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GG1:
We have cable TV where we are staying. The picture has a lot of snow and is poor on all channels when in cable mode. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>GG!, Just a thought, I stayed in some campgrounds that had lousy cable infrastructure. If you go to another CG and you get the same problem then you can rule out the bad infrastructure theory.

My A/V box was recently replaced after getting blown up at the GNR by lightning.

I also just installed a digital converter box on my VCR circuit - it works great!
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 07:43 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I have run a seperate line from the campground connection to an additional tv outside and it works good. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wouldn't this rule out bad CG service?

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 07:49 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Also look at the connection on the back of the outside cable input connector. Since the cable in connector is used a lot it would be likely that the connection could be loose.
ROMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 09:02 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

I just went through all this on a friend's Monaco. In his case, it was the powered antenna connection, and replacement was the only option. I would try moving the coax from the CATV position to the AUX position, as was suggested.

Also, if you really want a direct replacement, shop around the auction sites. The only replacement currently available new is 2 or 3 generations away from the one you have now - and IMHO, not nearly as good.

FMCA; WIT; FCOA; Good Sam; Passport
porscheracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 01:10 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

This probably doesn't apply but I just moved from a campsite where I had to use my traditional antenna to a campsite that has cable TV. After running the channel setup twice and the channels still being snowy I remembered that I have to turn of the antenna signal booster when using cable Problem disappeared.

2005 Honda Element
bjbkkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 03:15 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

You mentioned that you tested by running a "seperate cable" to a outside TV and it worked good. Try the same test using the cable you are connecting to the motorhome to the outside TV to determine if the problem is the cable you are connecting to the MH. I suspect the problem can be just a bad cable connection to the connector(s) of your hookup cable.
Old 09-17-2008, 06:20 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

Interesting...I had a similar problem on our current trip. We were at a KOA in Rapid City and on satellite (Kingdome). Front TV had perfect picture rear TV had snowy, jumpy picture. We were not hooked to cable. I checked all my connections and diddled with the switch box. Nothing seemed to fix the problem.

At our next stop in Sheridan, WY, rear TV pic was fine and has been since. I'm wondering if there wasn't some strange RF interference involved???
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 08:38 AM   #15
Winnie-Wise

If you have used this connection before and didn't any problems at other CG's, then I would look to the connections and or the condition of the cable company hook-ups to the campground.

Been in some place that the cable was really bad and moved to another CG and it was fine.
Old 09-17-2008, 04:13 PM   #16
GG1
Winnie-Wise

Spoke to Wineguard tech they suggested I check the voltage coming from the switch box to the front tv when in the cable mode with the antenna booster off it should be 12-18 volts, this will see if the output on the switchbox is putting out enough power in cable mode. NOTE: I very seldom use the cable hookup maybe 5 times in 7yrs the picture has never been 100% in cable mode I just attributed it to poor campground cable. Tomorrow the voltage will be checked,(when I can locate my meter) thanks for all the input.