Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-19-2022, 02:26 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Who is your RV insurance carrier

Allstate in Pennsylvania subcontracts out to other carriers for RVs. Who do you use?
gcbartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2022, 02:50 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I have usaa for auto. (Veteran). They don't cover motorhomes, so they "partner" with Progressive. I'm not a fan. As soon as I find a better carrier, Progressive is gone.
Old 03-19-2022, 03:12 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I've had excellent service from Progressive in the 7 years since I bought my 2016 Navion 24G. 2 big claims in one year, one for rats in the engine space eating the wires (about $3500 damage, 100% covered by Comprehensive) and one for an awning damaged by a sudden gust of wind (dust devil out in the desert), about $2600, again 100 % covered due to the "disappearing deductible". The next year my premium went down as they don't count comprehensive claims against you being as they aren't your fault. Your mileage may vary of course but I'm staying with Progressive.
jayelldouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2022, 03:37 PM   #4
Site Team

I have Progressive and they've been great. I've had one huge claim ($26,000) and one smaller claim ($2700 cat converter). Sure my rate went up the year after my big claim but not by all that much. And, they were johnny on the spot handling all the details.

I use FMCA's insurance brokerage service and have let them find me decent prices and coverage. I started with SAFECO and they doubled my rate my first year and this was without any claims, tickets or anything. So FMCA got me my policy at Progressive and I've been set ever since.
Old 03-19-2022, 03:39 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Thanks Jay. Maybe I need to give them a shot. My comment came from my experience when I called USAA. Had no idea why they kept transferring me to Prog. Finally got it that USAA didn't write Class A policies.
The person I talked to at Prog was absolutely horrible on the phone. So bad I asked to speak with a supervisor. She refused! I ended the call. Called later and finally got the policy done. Not a great 1st impression.
Again, thanks for a different perspective.
Old 03-19-2022, 03:41 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 202235f View Post
I have usaa for auto. (Veteran). They don't cover motorhomes, so they "partner" with Progressive. I'm not a fan. As soon as I find a better carrier, Progressive is gone.
Me, too. I've only had to use them one time, for an emergency tow and I'm happy with how it was handled. It took them a few hours to find a suitable tow truck near my rural breakdown location, but they kept me posted as to the status over the phone, etc.

My MH has a fairly new, hydraulic wheelchair lift that, according to the PO, cost $15k, adding significantly to the value of my MH. Because of the nature of the lift, it could easily be badly damaged in a collision. As a result, my Progressive polidy is agreed value policy which covers more than its actual cash value as a MH. Because of this, I can't comment on their rates. I also don't know how Progressive's rates through USAA compare to those offered to the general public.

I do wish that USAA handled their own RV policies since I have nothing but good things to say about them when it comes to auto and property insurance. If you're a veteran or military and aren't a USAA client, you should check them out.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2022, 03:44 PM   #7
Site Team

We have USAA for our house and autos. When I called them for our class c they acted as a broker for Progressive. When we got the Class A they said, "nope." So, we were already members of FMCA and called them. They've been super helpful.

Actually, Winnebago, FMCA, Good Sam and others all use an insurance brokerage company in Winnebago's home town (Forest City) and they are one of the biggest RV specific insurance brokerages in the county.

FCIS Insurance: https://www.fcisinsurance.com/

You might call them directly.
Old 03-19-2022, 10:15 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

We have had Progressive for over a decade when we got into big RV's. Several years ago we got caught in a hailstorm the size of golf balls. Put holes in the roof. Progressive paid $19,000 to replace roof.

Couple years ago some rats got into several RF's. Ours was around $2,000

In 2017, Harvey came through with 54 inches of rain. Our 2008 MH was in for minor repairs. I called and asked if they wanted me to come move it out of their yard. They replied that they had been there for over 50 years and never had water in the parking lot. Well, they never had 54 inches of rain in 3 days dumped on them either. MH was totaled. Progressive paid me what I paid for it 10 years previous. No ands, ifs, or buts.

We stayed with Progressive.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2022, 09:04 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
Me, too. I've only had to use them one time, for an emergency tow and I'm happy with how it was handled. It took them a few hours to find a suitable tow truck near my rural breakdown location, but they kept me posted as to the status over the phone, etc.

My MH has a fairly new, hydraulic wheelchair lift that, according to the PO, cost $15k, adding significantly to the value of my MH. Because of the nature of the lift, it could easily be badly damaged in a collision. As a result, my Progressive polidy is agreed value policy which covers more than its actual cash value as a MH. Because of this, I can't comment on their rates. I also don't know how Progressive's rates through USAA compare to those offered to the general public.

I do wish that USAA handled their own RV policies since I have nothing but good things to say about them when it comes to auto and property insurance. If you're a veteran or military and aren't a USAA client, you should check them out.
When I wrote "Me, too" I meant I was also insured by Progressive via USAA, not that I was dissatisfied with Progressive, quite the contrary.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2022, 10:15 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

I have State Farm for the S&B house, Progressive for the Toad, and Good Sam for the RV, spread the wealth around
Chaffeekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2022, 01:41 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

USAA for home and auto. Progressive partnering with USAA does not deliver USAA quality. They raised my premium after the first year by 40% for no apparent reason, but we’re still cheaper than other options.
Old 03-23-2022, 04:17 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Progressive priced themselves out of the market with large annual increases. I have had my RV insured by Good Sam/National General for a few years due to good prices and better coverage of contents. No claims, so I can't tell how they do there.
NormD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 04:41 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaffeekid View Post
I have State Farm for the S&B house, Progressive for the Toad, and Good Sam for the RV, spread the wealth around
well on the off chance I called and talked with Progressive, their agent offered better coverage and a much lower rate 89.52 per month versus 115.98, I’m now with progressive for the motorhome also
Chaffeekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 04:56 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Insurance

I have Farmers but they use Foremost.
2011 View - in St Louis. $875/ yr.
gomango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 07:32 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

GEICO

I got quotes a few times from USAA, Farmers, Progressive.......they never beat GEICO. Have been with them since 1985 and never had an issue with a claim.

Retired "Quiet Professional". Lifetime HSUS and ASPCA member and supporter.
71_340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 07:56 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormD View Post
Progressive priced themselves out of the market with large annual increases. I have had my RV insured by Good Sam/National General for a few years due to good prices and better coverage of contents. No claims, so I can't tell how they do there.
Same exact thing happened to me. Progressive on the 2nd year had about a 35% increase. No explanation called around finally went to Good Sams who provided a 20% lower cost than my original year cost with Progressive. So overall about a 55% savings. Checked others no one came close to Good Sam's/ National General.
1237dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 10:24 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

AAA. I've been with them since I was old enough to join and have never had a problem with them.
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 10:42 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Same as above, USAA on cars, Progressive on Class A. 20 years coverage. 3 claims (two because of my foolish mistakes).

Couldn’t be more pleased with Progressive’s personal and professional service. Don’t know about rates. I am so pleased, I never shop around.
Memory Maker is offline   Reply With Quote