Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-17-2022, 04:35 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Smile 2014/15 Itasca Sunstar 31KE Purchase Advice

Hi All, I am contemplating purchasing this vehicle. Anyone have one that could comment on pros and cons (or recommendations)? Is there a difference between a 31KE and a 31BE? How bad is the tail swing? Thanks in advance! Greg.
gcbartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2022, 06:14 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Our previous rig was a 2014 Sunstar 31 KE. We truly loved the rig and sometimes wish we'd kept it. Drove it all over the country- once from Georgia to Anchorage and back.

Its an easy rig to drive and maneuver and the dining area is so comfortable. It had lots of power and we towed a car on a dolly everywhere. The sleeping arrangements were fantastic. The V-10 engine is great and bulletproof. Never had a single mechanical problem in all the miles we drove. And it was easy to maintain. It had more storage and more accessible storage than our current 38Q Adventurer. The wife liked driving that size rig (she drove several hundred miles on the Alaska highway).

The only downsides we had were-
1. That was the year they had the 5 speed transmission and RPM's on the engine tended to be high making for some screaming on hills which is not a problem with the newer 6 speed trannys.
2. The 19.5 wheels seemed to run a lot rougher than 22.5 wheels and sometimes made for a bumpy ride.
3. We wanted a bit more "living area" than what was offered by the small couch.
4, One really has to keep an eye on the WBGO roof joint sealants. On that rig I started getting some bad filon separation before I learned that I really had to watch and maintain those joints regularly. But that's pretty much true of the typical 'bago roof connections now a days.

The downsides were not all that bad, we learned to live with them and enjoy them. And, we'd own that rig again if we didn't have the rig we now have. Overall the upsides really offset any downside I list.

Tail swing didn't seem to be an issue as much as it is now on our 38Q. Just something to be mindful of in any RV.
Americanrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2022, 08:51 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Reply.

Very helpful. I haven’t heard much “downside” to be honest. I hope I can get one at a reasonable price. How’s the MPG? I head that was another downside as it’s typically around 8!!
gcbartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2022, 04:45 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcbartman View Post
Very helpful. I haven’t heard much “downside” to be honest. I hope I can get one at a reasonable price. How’s the MPG? I head that was another downside as it’s typically around 8!!
Not sure there are too many class A's of that size and larger that get more than 8-9 mpg at best unless its a diesel. Ours ran an average of 7 mpg towing the toad on a dolly in cool air- no a/c at around 62 mph, but sometimes much lower down to 5.5 mpg in slow stop and go traffic with a/c (genny and or dash turned on). And 7 is as good as I can ever get on our 38Q- now mostly 6.5. 6-8 mpg is very typical for these rigs
Americanrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2022, 09:52 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

I don't have experience with either model but I do have a couple of observations based on my experience with two TTs and now a MH along with years of reading Winnieowners and other forums:

1. Aside from floor plans, they're going to be very similar, same power train, same construction, the same or similar appliances, etc. You can change a lot in a MH to suit your needs, but the floor plan isn't one of them.

2. In terms of floor plans, unless you need the bunk beds, I'd prefer the 31ke since you have full bed access with the slide retracted. With the 31BE you have to have the slide extended for full access.

3. From what I've read, full wall slides as in the 31BE can be problematical. They're physically larger and, as a result are more prone to problems. I've also read that, having kitchen appliances on a slide creates more exposure to plumbing and other problems since the systems must be designed to move with the slide.

4. The GVWR of the 31KE is 16,000 lbs, while the GVWR of the 31BE is 18,000 lbs. The GVWR is the maximum weight it can handle, including payload. Unfortunately, the specs in the brochure fail to specify the curb weight so we don't know how much of the additional 2,000 lbs is usable in terms of payload. I'd want to find out what the respective curb weights are for a better comparison of payload capacity. I'd expect that the larger slide is going go eat up some of the difference. Both MHs have a GCWR of 23,000 lbs.

5. The 31BE has a 108" wheelbase vs. the 90" wheelbase of the 31KE, while the 31BE is 8" longer vs. the 18" difference in wheelbase. This may have some effect on handling. I don't know one way or the other but it's something to research.

6. The 31KE has 168 cu ft of storage vs the 31BE at 147 cu ft. Also, the 31KE's slide storage extends with the slide giving it easy access. The 31BE's storage is stationary so the slide extends out over it, making access more difficult along with being prone to bumping heads. I'd especially be wary of access to key areas like water/sewer and electrical compartments.

7. The 31BE has 70 gal of freshwater while the 31KE has 64 gal. The 32BE's holding tank capacity is 43 gal black/59 gal Gray vs the 32KE at 41/57. I don't consider any of these capacity differences as being significant unless you're going to be boondocking most of the time and, even then, the differences are marginal.

8. When you get to the point of comparing actual units, you'll need to consider what options are installed. According to the 2016 brochure which is the first I could find listing the 31BE, there aren't many. There may be options installed by the PO that may be of interest (solar, increase battery capacity, etc.). I wouldn't make a model decision based on installed options. Options would be more important in deciding between two MHs of the same model. You can install solar panels, etc. but you can't change the floor plan.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 05:36 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Hi All, I am contemplating purchasing this vehicle. Anyone have one that could comment on pros and cons (or recommendations)? Is there a difference between a 31KE and a 31BE? How bad is the tail swing? Thanks in advance! Greg.
I had a 2015 31 ke. The my roof seams were a problem. That was not the only problem, The kitchen sink drain runs under the furnace with several 30 degree Ls. Some how they forgot to glue the one L. It was almost imposable to get to the joint but with the help of FlexSeal the problem was resolved. I have a 2018 31 G now and wish I had the ke back
68SILVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 05:51 PM   #7
LCJ
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
I have 2019 Vista 31BE and the layout of the Itasca looks identical to my unit. We love the layout and can use the bunks for grand-kids or as a hanging closet when it's just the two us. We drove it from Michigan to Florida and back in January and it handled fine through the hills and mountains. I always felt like I had plenty of power. During the Florida trip we spent three weeks in the MH and felt like we have plenty of storage space. We only have 5,500 miles on the unit but during our travels I have averaged 9.5 miles which I'm really happy with...but we don't pull a car.

The only con we have noticed is the space around the bed in the master. A few extra inches would be nice but that's a little nit-picky.

I haven't noticed any issues with tail swing.

Tags
purchase, advice, itasca