Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-25-2022, 08:19 AM   #1
Winnie-Wise

V-10 Significant breakdown

We'll I have long been a fan of the V-10 in the F-53 motorhome and I've tended to believe they are bulletproof. Our 2014 Itasca had one and we ran over 30,000 miles on it including a journey from GA to AK without a failure of the engine. Our current 2016 Adventurer 38Q has worked absolutely flawlessly for the past 6 years and 63,000 miles. Never a hick-up with the constant attention given to its maintenance.

We left on a run from our home to the north Georgia mountains Sunday, about a 180 mile run for us around Atlanta and up into the hills. I was running at 58 mph keeping speeds down for the toad and to conserve fuel. 152 miles into the trip the check engine light started flashing, but I noticed no change in engine noises or power. I quickly pulled off the road and put my OBD2 on the connection. It immediately kicked out "multi cylinder misfire (P0300)" and "cylinder misfire (P0310)" . I had just pulled onto the interstate when it occurred and continued along with the check engine light coming on and off periodically. After about 20 minutes it started to loose power, we heard an odd hissing noise, some odor and 3 more cylinders misfires came up on the OBD2 reading.

After sitting on the shoulder of the road seeking help (that's a whole different story), I called the mechanic in my home town 155 miles away and told him I wanted to get it towed to his shop (about 300 yards from our home). He is a fantastic fleet vehicle trick repair service and manages fleet mechanical needs for Fedex, USPS local fire and ambulance departments and much more. He said no, don't have it towed to my shop, I'm on my way to see what's going on and to try to get it drivable to get it back to his shop. He arrived about 3 hrs. later after the long drive and immediately changed out what were 3 suspect coils and plugs. But no joy. The engine continued to throw even more codes and run with less power and more misfires.

At that point it was obvious some sort of major intervention was needed so he contacted a local heavy wrecker in my home town to come get us. After 32 hours camping on the side of a super highway, he finally arrived and we were able to take our toad and dolly and head to the barn.

The rig towed back home 155 miles just fine with no incidents with a very heavy wrecker in the lead. The driver knew what he was doing (disconnected drive shaft) and the rig is in great condition at the shop this morning.

The point of all this is that I am after 8 years of V-10 service between 2 rigs that has been flawless, I'm a bit less convinced the V-10 is bulletproof. The mechanic, who is very familiar with V-10 engines, suspects a major valve system issue but won't know until he's gotten into it more.

Just wondering does this seem unusual for a V-10 to go belly up with this type of problem with just 63,000 miles?
Americanrascal is offline   Reply With Quote