Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-09-2023, 12:10 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Transmission Control Module Failure 2003 Sunflyer

When I acquired my 2003 Winnebago Itasca Sunflyer, the TCM was found to be faulty and was replaced with a refurbished unit, as the Allison shop said no new ones were available. Parked it at a year long seasonal RV park for 3 years. Drove it off the campground with trans failure lights on all the way home and in trans failure mode. Brought it back to the same Allison shop who said that the module is again at fault. Only drove it for 300 miles, but of course, the warranty expired. Those babies aren't cheap, and I'm pissed at having to replace it again. Does anyone else have issues with the module and know where it can be properly refurbished?
Old 11-09-2023, 07:14 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Before spending money_again. Unplug the TCM for a day then reconnect to see it that solved the problem.
I like to try the things that don't cost money first. If it doesn't work all you're out is time and effort.

There are many repair shops: My pick would be O'Rilly parts stores, due to the ease of purchase and in-house warranty.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2023, 03:44 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction! This is very helpful.
iezzif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2023, 10:56 AM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

Allison Transmission

I have a 2002 Adventurer with Workhorse Chassis and Allison Transmission. Having issues with transmission and not having any luck finding a shop that can actually find and fix the issue, Sadly i have no mechanical ability and am at the mercy of the shop. Can anyone suggest a shop in the panhandle of Florida that is knowledgeable, reliable and honest? I have checked with Winnebago dealers but they will not work on anything older than 10 years. The Allison authorized service in Panama City replaced cables and etc, but could not fix or find the problem. It is an intermittent shifting issue, sometimes will not shift to reverse, and sometimes will not shift to or from overdrive. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
lmdazevedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2024, 10:34 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Look at this video and DM the author, Kevin Caudill. He knows more about Allison transmissions than their own company mechanics. Helped me out big time.

https://youtu.be/K-n6KSOykS4?feature=shared
Old 01-12-2024, 12:04 PM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

I will check it out. Appreciate the help,
Old 02-06-2024, 10:01 AM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

Allison Transmission TCM

iezzif, The link you suggested was very good. I am still trying to find someone that can actually check the module out and replace if necessary. It sure sounds like that is the issue. When I can finally get a definitive I will post it here. Appreciate your help.