Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-09-2020, 05:50 PM   #21
JCM
Winnebago Camper

It is the constant flexing of the rubber stems as the centrifical force flips them around. They crack. The booster is almost a necessity. With it we never had a dropout.
Old 02-09-2020, 08:56 PM   #22
NXR
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Those security devices that allow free rotation of the sensor without taking it off of the stem ARE NOT secure at all.
The newer TST 507 cap sensors no longer have that free-spinning anti-theft cap. I bought mine around May or June in 2019 and mine do not have them.
NXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 08:56 PM   #23
Winnebago Owner

I have a TireMinder TMG400C with 6 caps, 12 volt charger and receiver I'll sell fairly cheap. Give me a PM with a serious offer.
Old 02-10-2020, 12:09 PM   #24
Chop

Crossfire with TST 507s

I just installed a Crossfire Dually Tire Equalization system with a TST 507 TPMS. The Crossfire makes sure that both tires have the same pressure (better mileage and wear) and if one tire blows, it shuts off air to the other tire. You can order the Crossfire with STV valves that allow you to install the TPMS so you can monitor both tires independently.

Crossfire - Dual Dynamics

You may have to call to get the Crossfire with the TPMS attachments since they are not on the web page as far as I can tell. Not sure why since I think these would be great for RVs.
Chop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 12:50 PM   #25
Winnebago Master

Had the earlier TST 507 pass through sensors. Nothing but trouble and $$$. Have been using the EEZ TPMS pass through system for a few years now. Less $ and easier to use than the TST. I got the repeater but I think new batteries would have solved the problem of dropping out. Annual replacements is what I recommend.
Old 02-10-2020, 01:18 PM   #26
Winnebago Owner

Confirming Thom's post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomB View Post
I use the EEZRV system without the security locks. They work fine for us and it paid for itself when we blew a toad tire. The monitor instantly went off with a low pressure warning. I felt no difference in towing, so I wouldn't have known until it was too late. We were on a 2 lane road so it would have been hard for other travelers to notify us too so we felt really lucky at the point in time that we did get a monitor.
You would probably need a signal booster. We're 33 feet towing a Mini Cooper roadster (so pretty short) and sometimes the passenger rear tire doesn't register so I'm guessing we're at about the longest lenght before a booster would be needed.

Thom said just what I would say..... EEZRV has been working great for me. I put in fresh batteries every year (though I don't need to) as it is so easy and inexpensive to do. I got the signal booster after the 1st year and have it mounted in the back bedroom of the motorhome. I have no problem detecting the 4 toad tires now. Works great!
Old 02-10-2020, 01:56 PM   #27
Winnebago Master

We use the EEZ TPMS non-flow through with a repeater mounted inside our bedroom closet.

Only add-on TPMS we've ever used. Like it and love their tech response. (as usual, operator error)

Very easy to re-calibrate the aft four sensors when we go from flat towing the Ranger to dolly towing the Camry.

Have a bad habit if forgetting to turn on the repeater. Still receives just fine. Likely not needed, but, belt and suspenders.

Fair Winds and Following Seas
Oldchinahand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 05:31 AM   #28
Winnebago Camper

Again I have the EEZtire, 10 sensors and repeater. I bought it all together because I didn't want to go back and get a repeater if it was needed. I have it in a night stand drawer, back of the motorhome, and it stays on. It probably isn't needed because all sensors showed before I wired it in. But since I have it, I use it. I have no idea how good the customer service is because except for sensor battery failure after a couple years, no issues. To me that's the best CS, the unneeded one.
Old 02-11-2020, 09:33 PM   #29
Winnebago Camper

TPM’s

Thanks for all the great advice. I still have have one question. My rear dual tires all have the braided metal extenders that are bolted down. Are these the type of metal stems everyone is referring to. Or do I need to have tires removed and new SOLID metal stems installed?
Smittty54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 09:47 PM   #30
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smittty54 View Post
Thanks for all the great advice. I still have have one question. My rear dual tires all have the braided metal extenders that are bolted down. Are these the type of metal stems everyone is referring to. Or do I need to have tires removed and new SOLID metal stems installed?
I’m running those braided steel extenders on my rear dually. I think most are saying you don’t want rubber valve stems on the rims. I actually run extenders on the outside and front tires too. It’s a solid steel v-ish shaped extender to bring the sensor back towards the outside of the rim. The problem with these is that they have a tendency to leak air if they’re not absolutely tight (or the little rubber sealing ring tears (I had that happen).
Old 02-12-2020, 05:11 AM   #31
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Any connection has the potential to leak so the fewer the joints or pieces, the fewer potential leaks. Generally speaking the solid metal ones are desired since anything flexible can flex to the side against the rim or weaken while bending due to centrifugal force. For the inner there can be quite a distance to reach out to where you can access it. They make rubber bushings to fit around the stem/extension and fit in the wheel hole. 3 years ago I found that one of my inside tires on the motorhome was needing air frequently. It had a solid extension on the solid stem. That extension was a bit loose. I snugged it up, and checked all other connections. Tires do NOT lose any air now. When tightening any of these fittings don't use brute force and a wrench extension to tighten, gently snug them.
Old 02-12-2020, 11:21 AM   #32
Itasca Sunstar Owner

I also use the EEZ-Tire TPMS. I like the large easy to read screen and easy set up. We have a Sunstar 35F and pull a car on a tow dolly. Over all length is about 53ft. and I don't use a repeater. Never had a problem with not getting a signal from the sensors.
Old 02-12-2020, 11:58 AM   #33
NXR
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
If by "bolted down" you mean there is some kind of metal bracket, maybe L-shaped, that secures the braided extender to the outside wheel then you'll be fine.

The issue with flexible stem extenders (or any extender, actually) is that the added weight of the TPMS sensor can cause the extender to flex or whip around more. That lever action can weaken the extender or cause it to loosen at the inner tire. So the TPMS sensor actually causes the leak you're trying to catch.

The best thing is to have the extenders replaced with solid stems like the Dually's. Because of the expense I'll be waiting for the first tire replacement, or tire failure, to do that. Myself, I use the Alcoa rubber grommets that fit in the outside wheel and run the extender through it.

Truth be told, though, I'd also be comfortable with also removing the extender and screwing the TPMS sensor directly to the short solid metal valve stem on the inner tire. Once I started carrying 10% more pressure than the minimum I've never had to add a pound or air to any of them and that's been over six months with temps between 22 and 86 degrees F.

I'll turn the TPMS system on about once a week or two looking for leaks when we're parked. Before we're scheduled to drive I'll turn it on a day before so I can see if I need to add air. Never had to. Yet.

Ray
NXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 01:58 PM   #34
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragnframe View Post
Question

Are the tire pressure monitors that just screw on the valve stem any good? What brand work? Need some for a vista lx 35f and a single axle 6x12 trailer.

I have been running TPMS since 2008. I Bought TireTraker TT500 with Lifetime Warranty.

Have run direct comparison and accuracy teats and published results on my blog.

I do not sell or get commission on any brand TPMS
Old 02-12-2020, 02:03 PM   #35
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodspike View Post
My concern would be the secure ones are not really that secure. Valve stems can be ripped out--although that would make some noise as the air rushed out.

Theft of sensor is for the ignorant as they are brand specific.

Vandalism No way to stop this person. If they want to damage your RV they can do it a number of ways.

I have never "lost" a sensor and run TPMS since 2008
Old 02-12-2020, 02:06 PM   #36
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueridge-fl View Post
We tried the TireMinder system and gave up on it. Too many false alarms.

Either low batteries or you needed a repeater. Was the system giving low pressure readings? Did you ever TEST your system as I outline in my RV Tire Blog?

How did you confirm correct programming?
Old 02-12-2020, 02:08 PM   #37
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
I use the type and would not go without them now. A couple hundred dollars insurance but it actually prevents the damage instead of paying for it after it nearly kills you!
Shop some of the RV retailers/resellers for value and look for specific points you want. I consider those which give me pressure as well as temperature to be worthwhile as the temp may be the first early warning of something like a stuck brakeshoe. They are great to warn if you do have a blowout but preventing that blowout is where I like to start.
One biggie for me is to make sure to have metal valve stems and then I also go the extra step of tying the valve stem and monito to the wheel cover as the added weight does give far more torque on the stem as it rotates at 60-70 MPH. The set I got came with an extra dipole antenna to add if there was a signal problem. For some reason the inner right dual was hard to keep synced up, so I screwed the extra antenna on and it solved the problem even though I only lay the readout and antenna on the dash, not mounting either.
For shopping, you may find two or more types. One has replaceable batteries and the other is sealed. My brother finds the replaceable to be a problem as they tend to not seal longterm and when they get wet, he has to replace the sending unit at the tire. I have the sealed which require sending in for replacement but so far, not needed.
I use the TST 507 system and got it from one of the RV supply places online as the best price available but shopping does save some good bucks.

^x2 on bolt in metal stems.

I give battery area of sensor a shot ow WD-40 to keep water out. Good "O"rings and do not overtighten the battery cap as you can split the O-Ring.
Old 02-12-2020, 02:25 PM   #38
Winnebago Owner

Steel - Brass - Aluminum
Bolt in stems are brass or nickle plated Brass unless you are paying for light weight racing stems or your OE stems are on cars with OE TPMS

Just because something is "silver" does not make it steel or aluminum. NOTE the valve core that comes with the bolt in stems should be uses as swapping brass cors in an OE Aluminum stem will corrode.
Old 02-12-2020, 02:27 PM   #39
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ2 View Post
I have come to the conclusion , that if you do not have alloy wheels , forget about TMPS sensors , or I just have not found the right valve stem short extension

I know of no reason for TPMS to not work with steel wheels. Look at all that cars built since 2005 with steel wheels they have TPM systems.
Old 02-14-2020, 12:09 AM   #40
Winnebago Owner

Eez tpms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higshar View Post
I also use the EEZ-Tire TPMS. I like the large easy to read screen and easy set up. We have a Sunstar 35F and pull a car on a tow dolly. Over all length is about 53ft. and I don't use a repeater. Never had a problem with not getting a signal from the sensors.
Did a 3 month, 8000 mile trip last summer with EEZ. 10 senders including toad and no issues with out a repeater. Replaced 2 batteries not hard to do, just carry spares.

Tags
tire pressure