Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-01-2020, 09:54 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Tire pressure monitors

Question

Are the tire pressure monitors that just screw on the valve stem any good? What brand work? Need some for a vista lx 35f and a single axle 6x12 trailer.
dragnframe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 11:44 AM   #2
Site Team

I use the EEZRV system without the security locks. They work fine for us and it paid for itself when we blew a toad tire. The monitor instantly went off with a low pressure warning. I felt no difference in towing, so I wouldn't have known until it was too late. We were on a 2 lane road so it would have been hard for other travelers to notify us too so we felt really lucky at the point in time that we did get a monitor.
You would probably need a signal booster. We're 33 feet towing a Mini Cooper roadster (so pretty short) and sometimes the passenger rear tire doesn't register so I'm guessing we're at about the longest lenght before a booster would be needed.
Old 02-01-2020, 04:53 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

I use the type and would not go without them now. A couple hundred dollars insurance but it actually prevents the damage instead of paying for it after it nearly kills you!
Shop some of the RV retailers/resellers for value and look for specific points you want. I consider those which give me pressure as well as temperature to be worthwhile as the temp may be the first early warning of something like a stuck brakeshoe. They are great to warn if you do have a blowout but preventing that blowout is where I like to start.
One biggie for me is to make sure to have metal valve stems and then I also go the extra step of tying the valve stem and monito to the wheel cover as the added weight does give far more torque on the stem as it rotates at 60-70 MPH. The set I got came with an extra dipole antenna to add if there was a signal problem. For some reason the inner right dual was hard to keep synced up, so I screwed the extra antenna on and it solved the problem even though I only lay the readout and antenna on the dash, not mounting either.
For shopping, you may find two or more types. One has replaceable batteries and the other is sealed. My brother finds the replaceable to be a problem as they tend to not seal longterm and when they get wet, he has to replace the sending unit at the tire. I have the sealed which require sending in for replacement but so far, not needed.
I use the TST 507 system and got it from one of the RV supply places online as the best price available but shopping does save some good bucks.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 04:57 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I use the TireMinder system and find it to be dependable and I rely on the info it produces.

X2 on the metal stems.

Highly recommend a TPMS.
Old 02-01-2020, 08:32 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishBear View Post
I use the TireMinder system and find it to be dependable and I rely on the info it produces.
I also love the TireMinder. Once I learned how to change modes by pressing two keys at once, I am able to quickly shift from towed vehicle mode to non-towing mode, and also able to easily get a quick read from all tires after the RV has been stationary for awhile. I wouldn’t drive without it.
macnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 05:43 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

We tried the TireMinder system and gave up on it. Too many false alarms.
blueridge-fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 08:51 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

I use the TST-507 FLow Thru pressure sensors. No need to take the sensor off to inflate or deflate the tire. They also allow for battery replacement. I replaced mine and never had a problem with weather leakage. I ran them on a 40' MH and Toad. There was no need for an additional antenna. Ran them for 5 or 6 years until MH was totaled by "Harvey."

I will be installing them on the 2015 soon.

Also suggest that you look at "Dually Valves.". The are very good and will give any TPMS stability flying down the highway.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 10:25 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
I use the TST-507 FLow Thru pressure sensors. No need to take the sensor off to inflate or deflate the tire. They also allow for battery replacement. I replaced mine and never had a problem with weather leakage. I ran them on a 40' MH and Toad. There was no need for an additional antenna. Ran them for 5 or 6 years until MH was totaled by "Harvey."
Ditto on the 507. Have the flow-through sensors on the coach to make airing up easy, and the cap style on the tow dolly. My second TMPS system, replaced another brand after 5 years of non-replaceable batteries, and wouldn't be without it.
emiddleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 05:53 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

I have the EEZtire with a repeater. 10 sensors which include 4 on the toad. It has the temperature and pressure. Last year I noticed the Jeep right front tire running much warmer. Turned out the caliper was sticking and overheating the brake. That led to a partial brake job in the RV park, NAS New Orleans, replacing the caliper, disc and pads. Don't leave home without it.

I have the button type with security locks but consider the security feature not really needed. My number stickers are on that part which is why I haven't removed them. Tires don't lose air so little need to remove them anyway.
Old 02-06-2020, 09:07 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

On the security issue, I find it has little value to get the type which requires a set screw to tighten into the valve stem. One is how it makes a "dimple" in the valve stem and it seems likely that is not a good thing. No real experience with that, though. What I do find is that the type I use has to have a really odd, funny, item to reach in and under the sensor to get hold of the actual part which screws onto the stem. To steal the sensor, which might be kind of weird as most folks do not need these and it would only apply as vandals, one would have to have the very odd specific tool which comes with the set.
I'm thinking that folks who do this are likely to vandalize some part that is easier? Like maybe just grab a mirror!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 12:57 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

My concern would be the secure ones are not really that secure. Valve stems can be ripped out--although that would make some noise as the air rushed out.
Goodspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 11:28 AM   #12
NXR
Winnebago Owner

I use the TST 507 cap sensors. If you have valve stem extensions on the inner rear duals you should buy stabilizers. They are essentially rubber grommets that fit in the outer wheel and they keep the extension from flexing under rotational stress. That could cause a valve stem leak.

These are the ones for my Alcoa 22.5" wheels but I could not use their metal extension stem, just the grommets.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/ALCOA-225...-392/497857298

You also should get solid metal valve stems installed on the trailer tires. Trailer tires have a much higher rotational velocity than your motrohome wheels so the stress on the rubber valve stems is much higher. I had these installed on my 12" dolly tires:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They confused two tire companies because they come with two different-sized grommets so both put both grommets on resulting in leaks. Only one grommet is supposed to be used and it goes on the inside.
NXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 01:25 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Hello! Used the Tireminder TM66 for few years without issues, been happy with it
and bought it on sale for around $100.00 with 4 sensors.
I did install their repeater ($80.00) as without it the readings would drop on the rear axle.

They make both Brass or Aluminum monitors, depending on what stem you have so you don't get corrosion issues. aluminum sensors are extremely light.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ALUM.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	18.1 KB
ID:	172873  
Attached Images

MicroMinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 08:59 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

Those security devices that allow free rotation of the sensor without taking it off of the stem ARE NOT secure at all.

I had my car in for tire service and forgot to get the tool out of the glove box. Walked out expressing apologies and the technician said, "Oh no problem, I got them off."

Seems like all you have to do is put forceful outward pressure on the monitor and twist it off.

Probably more likely to get stolen/removed at a rest stop/fuel stop than an RV park.

The flow through have Allen set screws but I also don't use them. The monitors can also be forced off and it will ruin the valve.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 09:19 AM   #15
RJ2
Winnebago Camper

I have come to the conclusion , that if you do not have alloy wheels , forget about TMPS sensors , or I just have not found the right valve stem short extension
RJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 04:17 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

We have alloys on our motor home and use the TST 507 sensors. I replace batteries once/year (about $6 for 10) and prefer that to the factory-replace sensors that might last 4 or 5 years, but you have to send them back to TST for changing.

Temperature and PSI are shown for all 10 tires, one at a time. A warning light and sound come on if your pressure or temperature are out of the range that you have set.

Peace of mind is worth it to us, knowing that our tires are all fine; even on the toad.

If we have a question or problem, TST answers the phone or email and is very helpful.
Old 02-09-2020, 04:50 PM   #17
JCM
Winnebago Camper

As others I have used TST 507 system on my 40f DP and now on my 32f gasser. Great units. I have changed the batteries once in 5 years and will probably need to do them again this spring. I will be putting the unit on my new B class. Order the color display. Helps with glare.
Make sure that you convert all stems to steel ones. I had tire sensors on my rubber stems years ago and as I was leaving town I had 2 crack - instant flats - it was -40.
Old 02-09-2020, 05:17 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

I use RVI Brakes, Tire Patrol,can see all ten of the sensors at the same time. Monitor pressure and temp.
pcfr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 05:29 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

I use the EEZ TPMS as well; great system! I have a shorter rig (26’ Navion) so dolly+toad doesn’t need an extender. Also got metal valve stems (Dually) for convenience and I think really needed with the screw-on sensors.
Old 02-09-2020, 05:38 PM   #20
Winnebago Owner

I use the TireMinder system and have been very pleased. Only one false alarm in 4 years. My system came with the booster which I installed. I never thought about steel valve stems for the toad. Towed the Sonic about 11,000 miles without issue so far. The holes in the wheelcovers for the valve stems are rather small not allowing much movement. Maybe that has saved me! I think I'll have them changed in the spring!
Dentkimterry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire pressure